Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 12:25 PM

7,571 posts, read 6,039,123 times

Advertisements

The Draft is a week away, and in person to some degree this year.

Here are my thoughts, and these are my opinions, not facts, DO NOT bet your cat food money on what I say.

I find it more difficult to sit here as in year's past and recommend any "Diamond in the rough" because due to the poor college season, poor in that a disease cancelled many of the games, ruined it for everyone, caused talented players to not have a chance to show their talents over the duration of the season.....this year's draft is riskier than ever. It is really hard to know who the best players really are, coming out of college, today, because of limited play and limited exposure.
That goes for everyone...teams, coaches, players and bettors. (I do not bet, but if I did, I would bet that someone agrees with me)

As usual, the Media Pundits are ranking the draft prospects, and are several times daily trying to rework the "mock Drafts" just to keep people like me entertained. Wanting some football, I turned over to the college FCS game last week between Fordham and Holy Cross! and just could not get into it. My mind says Baseball, hockey maybe, but not spring football. My mind says Gardening, working outside, planting things to eat )hopefully) later. Just as the Draft is the seeds of the season, and the season championships are the harvest, I could not get into watching the college games this time.

And as I have pointed out, successful coaches (like Belichick and hopefully Flores) DO NOT care who the sportswriters say the best prospects are. How well did it work for Tom Brady? and how many times have the Patriots drafted on "best available" according to the sportscaster, and then went to or won a Super Bowl?

Successful Drafting is about finding the right talent in all rounds who can learn the plays, execute them and contribute all season long in whatever capacity is needed. It is not about saying "Oh well that guy won the Heisman" or "Well that guy was good in college"

However, even though there have been a few very few chances for players to shine, here are a few that interest me who should be good to go in the late rounds. Or be invited as college free agents

JAELON DARDEN NORTH TEXAS WR From the Cat's Alma Mater this little guy made the last QB look good...he is a fast little guy, kind of reminds me of Taylor Gabriel, and as a #3 would likely outperform most Pro Nickelback's in a passing scheme. He is the kind of guy you want as one of the 6 or so WRs on the team. Especially late in the season, when he may be up against a 4th Safety or CB

DILLON RADUNZ NORTH DAKOTA STATE OT He needs a year to bulk up, and an NFL Trainer and dietician could handle that, He has tremendous speed for a lineman, good agility and if he could add 15 pounds he would be the ideal run protecting guard.

KELLEN MOND TEXAS A&M QB If Belichick gets him, well, there is the next Tom Brady, maybe. This kid is smart, and he takes direction well. So never mind his passing style, he did what he was told to do. If he had the right NFL coach to work with him, he could be a starter in a year or two. I think with better coaching he could excel.

TOMMY DOYLE MIAMI (OHIO) OT I am basing this more on what I saw during his JR year when playing in the MAC, because here at the Big Cat's House (not the Cathouse) We watch MAC games during the week. Well, last year not so much, but in years past we did We watched him during the 2019 season and liked what we saw as a JR He played 3 good games as a Senior. he hits hard, and gets into the plays well, and would be an asset as he understands the need for the Line to control the game tempo.

And Finally, I like this guy Although strictly as a College Free Agent not as a draftee
SHANE BUECHELE SMU QB Shane's father Steve was a Shortstop/#B for the Rangers who had a long and successful baseball career, not works as a roving batting instructor. Shane is a chip of the old block, athleticism, drive, work ethic. He was hindered early on by some injury, which he looks to have overcome, and criticized for his poor ball placement which was the fault more of a crappy SMU line who could not block than his ability to choose where to throw. An NFL QB coach could work with him, and his athleticism can take him into the NFL.

Again, these are late Round/College FA Prospects that could make a solid contribution to a team.

They are not the only ones though, and I am interested in seeing who else you think may be a good NFL player in this season.

Either way, the Draft will be a fun event, as always there will be BOOing, jokes, humor, tears and busts as well as booms.....But at least we will have SOME football thing going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 01:36 PM

17,437 posts, read 15,025,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
KELLEN MOND TEXAS A&M QB If Belichick gets him, well, there is the next Tom Brady, maybe. This kid is smart, and he takes direction well. So never mind his passing style, he did what he was told to do. If he had the right NFL coach to work with him, he could be a starter in a year or two. I think with better coaching he could excel.

I don't know about this one. I'm not going to disagree with you, but when I saw him.. He was.. I hate to tie him to this name because he's not THAT bad.. But Rex Grossman is the comparison. When he's good, he's good.. When he's not.. He's NOT.

The first time he played Clemson, he was astounding. The second.. Not so much.

That kind of player just scares the crap out of me.

Certainly worth a 5-7th round pick and perhaps a bargain at that price. The QB depth in this draft.. Maybe it's the gap between Lawrence and 'the field' that's driving his stock up, as he's projected as a 2-3rd round. Maybe it's so many teams looking for a QB. I don't particularly see him as high as he is projected.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:34 PM

3,246 posts, read 5,596,104 times
I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the late round talents. I have heard a few rumors about Mond and possible landing spots and yes NE was one of them.

I'm just focusing on my Cows and their first 2 picks.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:11 AM

9,431 posts, read 9,713,535 times
Best of all the draft is in Cleveland home of the 2022 Super Bowl Champs!!

Old 04-22-2021, 10:44 AM

Which mock draft guide is the most reliable?

Old 04-22-2021, 12:19 PM

17,437 posts, read 15,025,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Which mock draft guide is the most reliable?

The one that's updated after each team picks.

But it's only reliable for the teams that have already picked.

In all honesty.. I find that the mock drafts are accurate only for the first handful of picks. Once you hit that first miss.. The rest is worthless.

This year, we KNOW what #1 is.

We're probably 90% sure who #2 is. But.. If the Jets go off script and don't pick Wilson.. Everything falls apart

#3.. That's.. still very questionable. I'd put this one at 50/50.. Mac Jones or Justin Fields? Smart money is going to Jones, but..

Then.. #4 is a complete wildcard. Do the Falcons take a QB? Do they trade the pick? Do they go off script and ride out Matt Ryan and fill another need?

Old 04-23-2021, 06:41 AM

The excitement will probably come from which team will want to jump up into the top half of first round and what will it cost them.

Atlanta would be a good choice to move down and get a bunch of picks.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:04 AM

Rumor Circulating that DA BEARS are wanting to trade with MY FINZ to get up to Number 6, I think it unlikely, seeing that MY FINZ traded to get back INTO that #6 slot....I think it likely that they are looking at PITTS, SEWELL Or a TOP WR, BUT Who knows? Flores, a protégée of Belichick will take who he wants
IF MY FINZ were to trade picks with DA BEARS , then they should insist on getting the Chicago 1st round pick in 2023 outright....that will give MY FINZ 3 first round picks in the 2023 draft.....Which again, as I have said before, these rumor written up by media writers in an office somewhere make for interesting stories but are as reliable as the Weekly World News.

Smart coaches and GMs take the players who will fit the style and need of the team. The lesser ones let the Media rank the players, and that often does not work out.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the late round talents. I have heard a few rumors about Mond and possible landing spots and yes NE was one of them.

I'm just focusing on my Cows and their first 2 picks.
My friend in Texas said we will talk on the phone this weekend about the draft. His statement was that as long as they accidently lock Jerry Jones into the janitors closet for the duration, then the team can draft the right players. But if he is there choosing, then forget it.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:28 PM

3,246 posts, read 5,596,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
My friend in Texas said we will talk on the phone this weekend about the draft. His statement was that as long as they accidently lock Jerry Jones into the janitors closet for the duration, then the team can draft the right players. But if he is there choosing, then forget it.
To be honest LKC, I think Booger hasn't made the picks since 2013. This is good but I can promise you he is looking for flash so having CeeDee there at 17 I'm sure he peed himself with glee. This love of flash is also highlighted by the articles about him being in love with Pitts. I think Booger spends a whole lot of his time in conference with his buddy Johnny Walker. The brain picks are most assuredly made through Will McClay and Stephen Jones. McClay is good to a point but Stephen !!!! Obviously the coaching staff and scouting has their input.

My hope is JC Horn at #10 to us. I don't want a trade back scenario. IMO the further back the more developmental the talent. I have reasons to not want Surtain although at this point he's probably more pro-ready. But that's basically it . . . at Alabama the players are so well coached up there is not as much upside. Horn does have a higher ceiling (and slightly better metrics). Farley by far has the best metrics (4.28 / 40yd) but the low back history is reason enough to shy away.

At 44 I am not sure what I want. OL makes some sense after last year and I think this is where they go. Safety is a possibility or even another CB in this DB deep draft.

I've seen some freaky mocks out there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football