Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 05:48 PM

12,427 posts, read 9,519,802 times

Advertisements

I don't think you can discount the influence of Urban Meyer in all this - they have a lot of history together from Tebow's days playing for Meyer in college. If Urban Meyer wasn't a new head coach in the NFL, I don't think Tebow would be getting this chance. Colin Kapernick doesn't have an Urban Meyer waiting to give him a chance to try to revisit the "good old days".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 06:19 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Tebow's a circus sideshow act, too. His #1 talent by far is moving merchandise and selling tickets. The guy's entire pro career (football and baseball) has been little more than a giant marketing gimmick. The Jags can sign him to the veteran minimum and cut him before the season starts and they'll still come out ahead because there are a bunch of suckers out there who'll buy his Jags jersey and go to the pointless preseason games just to watch him ride the bench all day.
So by your reckoning, he's likely to bring value to the franchise. Now maybe I don't have the sharpest business mind out there, but I'm pretty sure that what he's supposed to do.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:05 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't think you can discount the influence of Urban Meyer in all this - they have a lot of history together from Tebow's days playing for Meyer in college. If Urban Meyer wasn't a new head coach in the NFL, I don't think Tebow would be getting this chance. Colin Kapernick doesn't have an Urban Meyer waiting to give him a chance to try to revisit the "good old days".
I think this is what it comes down to but it also highlights a greater problem that causes a Kaepernick to be inserted into a situation like this. Tim Tebow has the Urban Meyer to help him get a foot into a team. Most black players don’t have an Urban Meyer available to get that sort of chance when they are far less qualified for one. Bigger problem, most black players don’t have an Urban Meyer to go to bat for them when they are qualified for a chance. That is what Colin’s problem is.

The reason why black folks in particular may be more upset about this is that we often are the ones who experience disparate impact of nepotism like this which is usually along color lines and it causes us PTSD because we or our parents who were adequately qualified for a promotion or a job see that job get given to someone much less qualified who don’t look like us because of a relationship being valued over an actual ability to do that job. Seeing it be so publicly done in Tebow’s case will bring back those experiences.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:20 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think this is what it comes down to but it also highlights a greater problem that causes a Kaepernick to be inserted into a situation like this. Tim Tebow has the Urban Meyer to help him get a foot into a team. Most black players don’t have an Urban Meyer available to get that sort of chance when they are far less qualified for one. Bigger problem, most black players don’t have an Urban Meyer to go to bat for them when they are qualified for a chance. That is what Colin’s problem is.

The reason why black folks in particular may be more upset about this is that we often are the ones who experience disparate impact of nepotism like this which is usually along color lines and it causes us PTSD because we or our parents who were adequately qualified for a promotion or a job see that job get given to someone much less qualified who don’t look like us because of a relationship being valued over an actual ability to do that job. Seeing it be so publicly done in Tebow’s case will bring back those experiences.
Tebow preserved and nurtured his professional relationships, and for that he'll basically get to be a bench coach for a season. Kaepernick poured kerosene on his, threw a match at it, and then whined endlessly about how hot the flames were. And when it looked like he might nevertheless get a second chance, he did it all over again.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:35 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
So by your reckoning, he's likely to bring value to the franchise. Now maybe I don't have the sharpest business mind out there, but I'm pretty sure that what he's supposed to do.
Exactly! The whole purpose of owning an NFL team is to make money. Sell tickets. Sell merchandise. Even the networks broadcasting the game will make more money if he's on the team because Tebow has a built in fanbase that will follow him.

If Kap can do the same thing for a team, I'm sure he would have been signed by now. It's all about money and perception.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:22 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
It's all about money and perception. Bingo! As soon as I hear comments about money, I always think it is always about the money, no doubt.

Tebow being out of the league over 8 years, FAs out there not landing with a team this year is what I've heard players not getting. I don't blame them for saying, what the heck, I'm sitting this year, and a guy out of the league gets a chance???

I don't look at this as being "about" Kaepernick, not really, there is always a bigger picture.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:07 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

70% of the NFL players are black! Its pure nonsense to suggest that blackness is contributing in any negative fashion to a player getting a shot in the NFL.....
It certainly isnt Kapernicks problem.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/former...ends-tim-tebow

Last edited by silas777; 05-12-2021 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-12-2021, 10:35 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,352,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Bottom line, Kap would of been back in the league had he played by the rules concerning that "special tryout" the NFL gave him a few years back. Once he changed the venue and refused to sign a waiver, he ended any chance of getting back in.
I had to go back to this post to say what no one is saying. Kap can't play!! Bottom line. He had lightening in the bottle that one year. The rest of his career? Not so much. That's why when you give him a chance, he decides to throw a curve so he isn't found out that his qb skills have detriorated. He isn't nothing but a show now.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:11 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I had to go back to this post to say what no one is saying. Kap can't play!! Bottom line. He had lightening in the bottle that one year. The rest of his career? Not so much. That's why when you give him a chance, he decides to throw a curve so he isn't found out that his qb skills have detriorated. He isn't nothing but a show now.
Probably now, no. But at the time he ended, most NFL scouts and those responsible on choosing player personal would highly disagree with you. Was he worth the negativity it may of brought to a team? Maybe not but at the time he was still better some of the starters in the league. The last 8 games of his career his numbers were up in the upper half of QB's. But hey, your entitled to your opinion.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:52 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post

RG3.

I have always compared Kap to him. They had their year.. Then DCs figured them out.

This is not limited to those two. It happens quite a bit. This is where the "sophomore slump" is for QBs. The great ones.. They adjust their game. It happened to Vick. He adjusted and became a more rounded QB.

Now.. Did Kap have a chance to adjust? Well.. Not so much.. Could he have? That's the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football