Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 AM

72 posts, read 76,621 times

Advertisements

Having Keisel back sure helped. It moved Ziggy back over to his natural side, which gave Woodley a boost!

I was pleased to see the game plan on O was to take advantage of the short passing game. It got the ball out quick into an open area, which kept Ben clean AND softened up the D which opened up the run game.

Great team effort.

One thing I'd like to see. Ziggy as the starter with Smith rotating in for depth. Ziggy has played well. He's a young, high motor guy. Let him do the heavy lifting & have the old bull come in to spell him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
What a game, they just got it done, showed all the ones making the "Steelers are old" comments, myself included!
Whaddya folks in Trivers know about the Steelers anyway?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,401,223 times
Cowboys fan living in Pittsburgh here...you know i got it rough, work in an office full of Steelers fans, they hate me, but it's all in good fun.

i gotta give props where props is due...the Steelers looked strong yesterday. great win! and i really though Ben had a great post game interview, he was asked about his injuries, and he responded something like, "i'm not the only injured player out here, so you won't hear me complain".

the cowboys have the Patriots this week, i'm hoping we look strong as well! should be a shoot out!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 AM

18,139 posts, read 25,671,871 times
A reminder here-again! Team threads are for fans of the team to discuss team business; roster moves, player injuries, results of past games, etc. Other fans are welcome to comment so long as the conversation is in line with the threads purpose.

Snarky one liners are not tolerated. Continuous snarky comments can result in being banned.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,928,172 times
The steelers (3-2) barely beat the 1-4 jags but a win is a win. Next sun they travel to arizona & the following sunday is at home vs the tough new england pats.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:09 AM

BA strikes again. Get a big lead, start winging it deep & make it a nail biter.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,579,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillersfaninwi View Post
BA strikes again. Get a big lead, start winging it deep & make it a nail biter.
I'm actually not so quick to crucify Bruce Arians on this one, if Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Wallace were telling the truth. According to those two, Jacksonville's defense seldom had any safeties deep, choosing to take away the short routes instead. (This was probably in response to what the Steelers did to the Titans the week before.) This left lots of stuff open over the top, which Ben tried to exploit. He was successful at it in the first half, but not in the second half. More than anything, I just think it was an off-day for Ben.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'm actually not so quick to crucify Bruce Arians on this one, if Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Wallace were telling the truth. According to those two, Jacksonville's defense seldom had any safeties deep, choosing to take away the short routes instead. (This was probably in response to what the Steelers did to the Titans the week before.) This left lots of stuff open over the top, which Ben tried to exploit. He was successful at it in the first half, but not in the second half. More than anything, I just think it was an off-day for Ben.
If that's the case then BA needs to adjust what he's calling, but that doesn't mean go into a run, run, pass, punt mode.

Ben only had 5 pass attempts in the entire second half, and I believe 4 of them were attempts at deep passes.

Part of the issue with this team, and BA, is predictability. I don't know that I recall the numbers exactly, and I don't have time to look right now, but someone I follow on twitter stated that we have something like 18 first down attempts in the RZ this season, and 16 of them have been running plays.

That's BA & predictability in a nutshell.

He'll call a good game and then he sheetz the bed.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:45 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,579,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillersfaninwi View Post
If that's the case then BA needs to adjust what he's calling, but that doesn't mean go into a run, run, pass, punt mode.

Ben only had 5 pass attempts in the entire second half, and I believe 4 of them were attempts at deep passes.

Part of the issue with this team, and BA, is predictability. I don't know that I recall the numbers exactly, and I don't have time to look right now, but someone I follow on twitter stated that we have something like 18 first down attempts in the RZ this season, and 16 of them have been running plays.

That's BA & predictability in a nutshell.

He'll call a good game and then he sheetz the bed.
Upon closer inspection of last game, you might be right. I posted this information and my thoughts on another website:

Play chart by half

1st half: 17 runs, 18 passes
2nd half: 15 runs, 5 passes

Play chart by down

1st down: 19 runs, 5 passes
2nd down: 10 runs, 9 passes
3rd down: 3 runs, 9 passes

Notes

Both TDs occurred during the first half, and on second down. All three sacks occurred during the second half, and on third down.

Notice how both TDs occurred during the more balanced half, and on the most balanced down. I think I've discovered the fundamental problem with Pittsburgh's offense. Does anybody else think that running the ball 79% of the time on first down is a bit excessive, and ultimately predictable, which makes the down much easier to defend, and ultimately reduces the efficiency of the offense?

What an offense does on first down sets the tone for the drive, so if an opposing defense knows that the probability of a run on first down is about four in five, then they can sell out to stop the run and be right most of the time, which ultimately wastes plays for the offense and makes it harder for them to sustain drives. To make matters worse, it also increases the likelihood of third-and-long situations, which then makes third downs easier to defend since the offense will more than likely be forced to pass.

Yeah, Ben didn't throw the ball very well against the Jaguars, but when the play-calling only leaves defenses guessing on second down, then that's a problem with the game plan. First downs need to be mixed up more, plain and simple. If they are, then that'll make it easier for the offense to sustain drives and ultimately score points.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Upon closer inspection of last game, you might be right. I posted this information and my thoughts on another website:

Play chart by half

1st half: 17 runs, 18 passes
2nd half: 15 runs, 5 passes

Play chart by down

1st down: 19 runs, 5 passes
2nd down: 10 runs, 9 passes
3rd down: 3 runs, 9 passes

Notes

Both TDs occurred during the first half, and on second down. All three sacks occurred during the second half, and on third down.

Notice how both TDs occurred during the more balanced half, and on the most balanced down. I think I've discovered the fundamental problem with Pittsburgh's offense. Does anybody else think that running the ball 79% of the time on first down is a bit excessive, and ultimately predictable, which makes the down much easier to defend, and ultimately reduces the efficiency of the offense?

What an offense does on first down sets the tone for the drive, so if an opposing defense knows that the probability of a run on first down is about four in five, then they can sell out to stop the run and be right most of the time, which ultimately wastes plays for the offense and makes it harder for them to sustain drives. To make matters worse, it also increases the likelihood of third-and-long situations, which then makes third downs easier to defend since the offense will more than likely be forced to pass.

Yeah, Ben didn't throw the ball very well against the Jaguars, but when the play-calling only leaves defenses guessing on second down, then that's a problem with the game plan. First downs need to be mixed up more, plain and simple. If they are, then that'll make it easier for the offense to sustain drives and ultimately score points.
That's good stuff!

Also, check Ben's comments here (scroll to the bottom): Wake-up call: Palmer cheered for Bengals - AFC North Blog - ESPN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football