Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,242,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
What do you have against Stafford? He's a very good QB.... I can't recall any 'Skins QB as good as him in my lifetime! Why the bashing?

My point remains you don't win consistently with a QB of that level. The fact that Stafford is better than Jason Campbell does not change this. Guys like Stafford, Jay Cutler etc always seem to break their fan's hearts. To me guys like Cousins or Tannehill are guys who will probably top out at that level, and that's probably overly optimistic.

Again my point is we have a QB who has the POTENTIAL to be better than that, a guy who may change the course of the team's future. Cousins and Tannehiull are names thrown out by many who have been critical of the trade up for RGIII. The claim is they would be better options. I just disagree. I'm looking for more than a QB who will always tease their fans before ultimately breaking their hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You are assuming if Griffin didn't get hurt, he would've put up the same #'s or better...I contest that that might not have happened...similar to what Kaepernick is going through..

Reality is, everything is a question mark with RGIII at this point because no one knows if he will ever get back to 100% physical strength...even if he does, will the read option work just as well as his rookie year? Could be just a 1 year wonder like many QB's in history..

They have so much invested in the guy that they won't give up on him anytime soon (just like Tony Romo..)...so talk about any other QB is moot at this point...
Kaepernick played poorly earlier in the year, he's playing very well now.

Again totally agree that there are question marks concerning RGIII. But would you not agree that his ceiling is much higher than that of a guy like Tannehill and Cousins? We all know he needs to evolve but again he hits what he throws at, has his entire career with the exception of this year and he was obviously not himself. Why would I expect his mobility not to improve once he has another year and the ball and chain knee brace is removed?

Old 12-30-2013, 05:20 PM

45,260 posts, read 26,754,393 times
Here's some advice from someone who, I believe, had direct involvement with the Chip Kelly hiring. I posted it in the Eagles area - so I am posting a shortcut to my post over there. He suggests Lovie Smith and explains why.

Eagles post #3288

Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,012,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Where's Jim Haslett? He should be on top of the list.
I absolutely agree! I was shocked as well... I'd think Jim Haslett would be the 1st one to go after Shanny!

Old 12-30-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
My point remains you don't win consistently with a QB of that level. The fact that Stafford is better than Jason Campbell does not change this. Guys like Stafford, Jay Cutler etc always seem to break their fan's hearts. To me guys like Cousins or Tannehill are guys who will probably top out at that level, and that's probably overly optimistic.

Again my point is we have a QB who has the POTENTIAL to be better than that, a guy who may change the course of the team's future. Cousins and Tannehiull are names thrown out by many who have been critical of the trade up for RGIII. The claim is they would be better options. I just disagree. I'm looking for more than a QB who will always tease their fans before ultimately breaking their hearts.
I get your point.. I, however, think Stafford is better than the guys you've mentioned above. He was a stud at Georgia and has been a stud in Detroit with pretty questionable coaching, defense and special teams with very limited running game and only one WR.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:51 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,645,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Kaepernick played poorly earlier in the year, he's playing very well now.

Again totally agree that there are question marks concerning RGIII. But would you not agree that his ceiling is much higher than that of a guy like Tannehill and Cousins? We all know he needs to evolve but again he hits what he throws at, has his entire career with the exception of this year and he was obviously not himself. Why would I expect his mobility not to improve once he has another year and the ball and chain knee brace is removed?
Honestly, I don't know how accurate of a passer RGIII is...he put up gaudy #'s his first year (just like Cam Newton did)....Cam kind of regressed for a couple years, now he's winning in spite of his numbers...

When you define "ceiling", is it just because of his mobility? One does not have a high ceiling just because he can run.

Honestly, I think Cam and say Russell Wilson have higher ceilings than RGIII, but that's just my opinion and I know its not about those guys, its about Kirk Cousins...

Also, when you say "evolve", you mean redefine himself..correct? Into more of a pocket passer w/better accuracy? he averaged 8 rushing attempts per game in 2012...will he ever be allowed to rush that much again? If not, what does he do? Pass more?

I don't mean to sound like a negative Nellie w/this guy, but there are alot of "what if's?" Also, how will the new coaching style affect him? We all know his relationship w/Snyder is extremely tight....not a comfortable position for a head coach....

Old 12-31-2013, 05:11 AM

I don't want to keep harping on RGIII because there is new news. I'll just post that he completed 66.6% of his passes, had the highest Yards Per Attempt in the league, which dispels the notion that he was all dink and dunk. He finished with an ungodly 102.4 passer rating. He did all this while having only one wide receiver too and unfortunately his name is not Calvin Johnson. Indecently if you look up Mathew Staffords numbers without Megatron he is very average. But I digress. RGIII's college figures are even better than his pro numbers. You don't post figures like that over 4 years without having very good accuracy regardless of the offense you are in Bottom line is he has always hit what he threw at before this year. This is simply not the case with Cousins and to a lesser extent Mathew Stafford.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 12-31-2013 at 05:20 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 05:16 AM

As for the front office the report now has Bruce Allen has final say on personnel. This scares the Hell out of me given his draft record in Tampa and Oakland We can only hope that he listens to Rich Campbell and Morocco Brown, something Shanahan apparently did not do as he picked guys like Josh LeRibeus

Old 01-01-2014, 03:28 PM

Oh boy! This would be a disaster.... Jim Caldwell sucks so bad!!

Report: Redskins to interview Jim Caldwell | ProFootballTalk

Old 01-01-2014, 06:34 PM

Rooney Rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football