Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 06:32 PM

520 posts, read 1,001,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Kyle Orton and Jay Cutler have never played on the same team. They were traded for each other.

Do you, perhaps mean Jimmy Clausen? Who took over for a benched Jay Cutler last year, only to lose the starting job back to him due to a concussion (and/or lackluster results)

My thoughts? Keep Cousins.. Sign him cheap for 3 years, have more money to spend on the lines.. Toss Griffin.. Toss McCoy, draft a couple of QBs in later rounds. Look for the diamond in the rough. Develop Cousins. You're not going to lose your fanbase. So, if it's three more years of suck.. Well.. We've grown accustomed to that over the past 20 years of Snydership.

And stay the hell away from Deshaun Watson. I think you'll be hearing lots more about that name in the next year or two.

I believe it was Jimmy Clausen. Thanks for the correction.

I think we are both in agreement, with you being more specific with keeping Cousins, that they need to keep one of these 3 and let the other 2 move on. I personally think Griffin has the better upside with the right OL build and a real coach. But, think they should definitely let either Griffin or Cousins go as they are still young and can have an opportunity to grow and enjoy a healthy career. Yes, I know they are highly paid athletes, but they, too, deserve an opportunity to have sanity and normalcy in their careers.

Thanks, again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 07:57 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,773,292 times
As long as Dan Snyder continues to stick his nose in the personnel decisions of the football team, the Redskins will have issues. Owners like Snyder and Jerry Jones (the Cowboys have not done anything since 1996) need to let the people they hire do their thing.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,397,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
This QB fiasco in DC shows just how dysfunctional the Redskins are as an organization.

Gruden, an inexperienced, mediocre Arena Football player (who watches Arena Football?) was hired by a dysfunctional organization and he, due to his inexperience as a coach, brought in further dysfunction by publicly berating and humiliating his starting QB, Griffin. Okay, Griffin may say some things in the media that aren't "politically correct", but Gruden is the coach so he should have more class.

No sane organization in the NFL feuds with their starting QB, shows a lack of confidence in their QB and creates such a stir. The only teams that do that are losers...ie, 2014 Jets, Bills, Buccaneers, Browns, Texans, and previous years the Raiders and Vikings. Even as Jay Cutler ticked teammates off in Chicago and got hurt and Kyle Orton came in and performed well, the coaching staff still backed Jay Cutler and plugged him in when he was cleared to play. Then, to get rid of confusion, they cut ties with Kyle Orton so that it was clear who the started was and whom the organization supported.

For all of Romo's struggles, without an OL, the organization still backed him and gave him a boss OL and he's balling out. When Big Ben (my team) struggled, some due to him holding the ball too long and some to our porous OL, they built up the line and got him a good coordinator (which he resisted at first) and my Steelers are balling out ON OFFENSE and Ben had the best numbers of his career. Even with Vick now in Pittsburgh, there is no doubt who our starter is and there and the skillset between the #1 and #2 are such that you won't question it.

DC needs to do the same. Give Griffin a boss line. Stick with him and have a head coach that can function in dysfunction. They need to get rid of either Griffin, Cousins or McCoy (or all three) and get a backup who knows they are a backup and proceed accordingly. Because what you are going to get are boos and doubts coming from fans as soon as any of these #1s have a bad day and cause teammates to question why changes aren't made.

By the way...look at how horrible Vick - and even Geno - looked in NYJ last season. Then, look at how good Vick looked in his first game for Pittsburgh against the Bills and he's only been with the team for 1 week and probably is nowhere near mastering the playbook. And, to prove my point...look at how HORRIBLE Cousins looked as a starter last season and looked at how McCoy, although he played well in the regular season, suffered a season-ending injury due to his ineffectual front line.
Pay attention. You're talking about the Redskins front office needs to beef up the OL, did you not see how the Redskins drafted this year? Did you see Polumbus and Chester on that right side of the OL? Did you not hear how the Redskins secured Trent Williams, their pro bowl left tackle, for the remainder of his career? The Redskins are trying to rebuild from the trenches out, it's going to take time. As for RG3, I love him but his days are numbered in DC.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:56 AM

31,886 posts, read 34,379,372 times
Quote:
I believe it was Jimmy Clausen. Thanks for the correction.

I think we are both in agreement, with you being more specific with keeping Cousins, that they need to keep one of these 3 and let the other 2 move on. I personally think Griffin has the better upside with the right OL build and a real coach. But, think they should definitely let either Griffin or Cousins go as they are still young and can have an opportunity to grow and enjoy a healthy career. Yes, I know they are highly paid athletes, but they, too, deserve an opportunity to have sanity and normalcy in their careers.

Thanks, again.
Clearly the coaches diagnosing game film don't see it that way.

I keep saying the O-Line isn't bad. It will actually get much better as Scherff improves and Trent Williams (in his prime) comes back healthy. Those are two potential (likely) Pro Bowlers for many, many seasons to come.

Most people don't understand offensive line play (I don't profess to be an authority here) because analysts tend to talk about QB play, WR routes, etc. There's a lot of technique and nuance that escapes even the most diligent observers of the game. Being an offensive lineman is a thankless job and they only seem to get recognized for the bad plays since their failure to do their job is much more obvious than their successes.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-31-2015 at 10:19 AM..

Old 08-31-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
But, as an AFC North fan (I am black and gold Steelers for life although I live in DC) I can tell you that Cousins performance against Ravens was not impressive at all.
This was impressive (to me).

Quote:
The most impressive part of the play came before the ball was snapped. Cousins spotted a cover-zero blitz from the Ravens’ defense on third and nine. Cover zero is a blitz designed to always give the defense a free rusher by playing pure man coverage on every eligible receiver and leaving no safety help. Cousins spots the blitz pre-snap and changes the protection to slide the line to the right.

By sliding the line to the right, Cousins gets the line to pick up all the blitzers up the middle, leaving the free rusher with the most distance to make up. While he risks taking a big hit from his blind side, by sliding the protection to his right, he gives himself a lane to throw to the best matchup. Roberts gets matched up one on one in the slot with corner Asa Jackson, who is primarily a backup for Baltimore. Roberts runs a post route into the middle of the field, where Jackson has no help.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-over-ravens/

Apparently, adjusting the protection turns out not to be some otherworldly power only possessed by Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. This play would likely have resulted in a sack on RG3 with people immediately howling about the woeful job the O-Line did in protecting him.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:03 PM

5,915 posts, read 6,397,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This was impressive (to me).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-over-ravens/

Apparently, adjusting the protection turns out not to be some otherworldly power only possessed by Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. This play would likely have resulted in a sack on RG3 with people immediately howling about the woeful job the O-Line did in protecting him.
Didn't the moderator say this forum is not to compare Redskins quarterbacks to other teams' quarterbacks?

Old 08-31-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Didn't the moderator say this forum is not to compare Redskins quarterbacks to other teams' quarterbacks?
Mentioning the names of two other NFL QBs is not "comparing them." Where do you see a comparison in that post?

Old 08-31-2015, 05:37 PM

17,380 posts, read 14,911,744 times
Well, It's Cousins' team now. He's the starter for 2015.. And Gruden needs to stick with that unless he just sucks to no end or gets hurt.

Long leash and I think he will reward you for that. Doesn't mean that they're going to the playoffs this year, or perhaps even next. But, I think if they stick with Kirk, you'll see a progression that frankly, you have not seen with RG3.

Start of the season, there are 7 "should win" games. Split series with all NFC East.. that's 3.. Bills, Bears, Bucs, Jets and Dolphins. That's a total of 8 wins there, but you figure they'll **** up and lose to at least one of them. Bucs or Jets, if I had to bet, since they tend to lose to the worst teams. Cowboys is almost a guaranteed split. No matter how good or bad either of them are, they step up for that game.

The O-Line discussion.. I think something you can look at so far as how good an O-Line is, outside of the QB Sacks.. How is the run game doing? The 3 pre-season games, the FEWEST running yards was against Baltimore at 111 yards. Seems to me that overall, the line isn't horribly bad. Love Alfred Morris, but he is no Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders. Of course, remains to be seen what happens in a 'real' game.

Last edited by Labonte18; 08-31-2015 at 05:51 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 10:55 PM

45,260 posts, read 26,754,393 times
Robert Griffin III liked fan’s Instagram post trashing Redskins, Dan Snyder

Then he unliked the post. Too late dude. There is a growing sentiment that they should just cut him.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:12 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,893,634 times
I remember the day I disliked rg3. when he asked the collective dc redskins fanbase to donate to his weddings registry.

I mean really? then all this just gave me confirmation as to why he wouldn't even land a job in Philly cleaning the toilets chip Kelly uses to take a #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football