Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 10:17 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
37, hi.. This attitude ^ is the nucleus of my point about Cousins, & how he has been perceived & evaluated.
Cousins was a damn good college quarterback. He was accurate & strong. He's 5th all-time in documented Big Ten completion %, and 2nd all-time in Big Ten yards-per-play. In the completion percentage, he's ahead of greats like Brees and Jim Everett. He also threw picks in college, bcuz he's willing to play aggressive and vertical. In my opinion, that's a good prototype for NFL-starter quarterbacking.
He was a decent college QB. He was nowhere near Brees' level in college. Completion % doesn't really mean a whole lot when you're throwing short passes. Cousins has a higher completion % than Tom Brady this season.

I will say that his willingness to take more risks in the passing game is an upside compared to RG3. He's decisive and doesn't hesitate to gun the ball into a tight window. The only issue is that he's been disastrous when he guns it under the wrong circumstances. But as I said before, you have to be willing to live with some bone-headed mistakes in the short run. If that's something that can be remedied in the long run, then you have a formula for a decent QB.

Quote:
Griffin essentially represented an opposite, contemporary style of mobile QB'ing. Modern fans have become enamored w/this style of QB'ing, but the more pocket savvy guys are winning the balance of the Lombardi trophies.. the Mannings, Brady, Kurt Warner, Brees, etc..
Russell Last Name Wilson has reached a couple of Bowls already. The problem with mobile QBs is not that they aren't effective, it's that they're injury-prone. Wilson has been able to strike a better balance than most mobile QBs and the Seahawks are ballin' right now because of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 03:21 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
You can find negative scouting reports on Peyton Manning too. That proves nothing. One was drafted #2 overall, the other in the 4th round. Clearly Griffin was the better prospect, that's not even up for debate. But it's all water under the bridge.

I was on record on another board being in favor of the Cousins pick on draft day. I figured he would offer good value, be a solid backup and (I swear I wrote this) a long shot fall back plan should Griffin fail. Now I didn't actually believe it would happen, as you guys know right up until the start of this season I was solidly in the Griffin camp. But clearly that ship has sailed and I"m thrilled to be wrong about Kirk.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:33 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
So, Ryan kerrigan has more sacks, forced fumbles, and tackles than Demarcus Ware....yet Ware gets in LOL. I know the pro bowl is a popularity contest, but come on.

Is that all the old dallas fans of his voting for him? LOL

Old 12-23-2015, 02:56 PM

Yeah but on the other side Trent has had an off year, for Trent anyway, and he got voted first team.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:20 PM

373 posts, read 367,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There were also negative scouting reports of Griffin back in 2012 that now seem prescient.

"As much as is written about his athleticism, his athleticism under duress in the pocket isn't even close to Cam Newton's. This guy, the only way he gets big plays with his feet is if he's got a wide-open field and the sea opens for him. He's got a little bit of a selfish streak, too. Everybody was laying on Cam, but for some reason this guy has become gloves off. He doesn't treat anybody good." Another scout also questioned the way Griffin deals with people.

Rating the NFL draft prospects: Quarterbacks
Got a few former Baylor Students near me who had classes with him a few years ago. They do not want him in Dallas. Griffin is "full of himself, his crap don't stink, he was a terrible classmate, and had a super ego. "

Old 12-23-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
Got a few former Baylor Students near me who had classes with him a few years ago. They do not want him in Dallas. Griffin is "full of himself, his crap don't stink, he was a terrible classmate, and had a super ego. "
This was clearly one of his problems here. He was not well liked and had a big problem owning up to his mistakes.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:14 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Quote:
37, hi.. This attitude ^ is the nucleus of my point about Cousins, & how he has been perceived & evaluated.
Cousins was a damn good college quarterback. He was accurate & strong. He's 5th all-time in documented Big Ten completion %, and 2nd all-time in Big Ten yards-per-play. In the completion percentage, he's ahead of greats like Brees and Jim Everett. He also threw picks in college, bcuz he's willing to play aggressive and vertical. In my opinion, that's a good prototype for NFL-starter quarterbacking.

Griffin essentially represented an opposite, contemporary style of mobile QB'ing. Modern fans have become enamored w/this style of QB'ing, but the more pocket savvy guys are winning the balance of the Lombardi trophies.. the Mannings, Brady, Kurt Warner, Brees, etc.. That's why I believe Cousins is being received begrudgingly at times, he's an affront to the supposed (& anticipated) takeover by young, mobile quarterbacks.. and it's also racialized at times. Griffin symbolizes the Black mobile QB, and Cousins the more traditional White pocket passer. Cousins displacing Griffin is sort of microcosm of the larger competing NFL QB styles/personalities.. I think it brings out more fan' emotions than 2 guys of the same race, or playing style, competing against each other for a job (?)

(and I'm speaking in broad terms about being mobile as primary strength vs. a good passer as primary strength, bcuz both Cousins & Griffin have some of each..)
Being a great college quarterback doesn't always translate into being a great NFL quarterback. There have been how many great college quarterbacks who have turned out to be NFL busts? So, I'd say the attitude I, and many others, had toward Kirk Cousins was pretty level headed, especially considering how us fans got burnt with RGIII, and especially where he was drafted at.

That being said, I could see flashes of what Cousins was capable of in seasons past. So, I knew all along he had the tools. It was just a matter of how he was going to prepare himself, how he would polish those skills into being a better quarterback. I like his approach with preparation, and I can see Cousins being among the better quarterbacks of the league in the future. One thing I can definitely say for sure about Kirk Cousins. He has not been the reason why (in a long time) the Redskins have lost games in the past couple of months. Yet, he's the biggest reason why the 'skins have won games, and that gives me hope for the future.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:30 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It's clear now who is the better QB but let's not pretend it wasn't obvious on draft day who was considered the better prospect.
Oh, you know where this is going..

Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger and Spurgeon Wynn were 'obviously' better prospects on draft day than Tom Brady.

Theismann was 4th round. Rypien was a 6th rounder.. Redskins historically haven't done well with early round QBs. Campbell was serviceable, but wasn't a great QB. You pretty much have to go back to Billy Kilmer to find a successful 1st round QB. And, all the way back to Sammy Baugh for a 1st round QB taken by the Redskins to have success with them.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:59 AM

And how have the Redskins, or any other team for that matter, done with their mid and late round QBs overall without the rare exceptions? For every Tom Brady there are 1,500 Jordan Palmers and Colt Brennans yet people continue to use Brady as some sort of proof.

I'll counter with the names Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Rothlisburger, Drew Brees , Philip Rivers, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Eli , Carson Palmer etc. All QBs taken in the first round or one pick later (Brees was the first pick in round 2, 33rd overall).

Of the 34 QB starters, 17 were taken in the first round and 20 were among the first three quarterbacks selected in their respective drafts As for the 12 starters whose teams made the playoffs last year seven were first-rounders, two were second-rounders, one was a third-rounder, one was a sixth-rounder (again, perhaps the most famous sixth-rounder ever) and one was a free agent.

First-rounders reign: Draft origins for starting NFL quarterbacks - NFL.com

Bottom line is you can strike gold in the later rounds, and it's a risk when you draft a QB high, but the odds clearly show that drafting the higher rated prospect gives you the best chance at finding a franchise QB

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 12-26-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 12-26-2015, 07:16 AM

Anyway now that that is settled (IMO anyway ) how fun is tonight going to be? First off games on a Saturday night with no work tomorrow are awesome, I wish every night game was on Saturday. Put that with an unexpected opportunity to win the division against the team I hate the most and I'll be psyched. LOL at me earlier in the year as I sat there with my legs crossed on a big 3rd and 8. Not tonight. I'll be up pacing back and forth yelling and screaming like it's supposed to be.

Can't wait!!!

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 12-26-2015 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football