Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 02:51 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
If I may continue this a bit more, SkinsGuy, it's true about certain websites having annoying posters. Every site seems to have one or two. We have our share on here at Sports, and I'm sure I've had my bad posts from time to time!

You're right in saying that without decent moderators (or none!) these sites can definitely get worse. Thankfully C-D has the right idea about moderators, and we here at Sports certainly have a good one! Okay, back on topic!
Absolutely! I'll be the first to admit that I have posted some dumb stuff in my time. And I'll also admit that if I feel I'm right on a topic, I won't concede my position until I feel the opposition has given me a clear and convincing reason why I'm wrong. Having said that, I try my best to disagree as politely and respectfully as I possibly can. After all, I don't personally know the people I'm conversing with online. I don't know their situation offline, and often times, context is lost because you don't know in what "tone" the author was posting their post with. But, there are times when you come across posters who don't give a rat's behind about disagreeing respectfully. I have ran across posters that not only want to call you out for being wrong, but they want to make an example out of you and they want to scare you off from ever posting in said forum ever again. And when the moderators support such a poster, that is when it's time for me to move on. I've found that C-D, for the most part, is pretty inventing for all. I've disagreed with people on quite a few different forums. There have been some spirited debate. Even me and Dave had a spirited debate awhile back. But you know, in the end, for the most part, people are mostly respectable. You have to understand the mentality of the posters certain forums are going to attract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Absolutely! I'll be the first to admit that I have posted some dumb stuff in my time. And I'll also admit that if I feel I'm right on a topic, I won't concede my position until I feel the opposition has given me a clear and convincing reason why I'm wrong. Having said that, I try my best to disagree as politely and respectfully as I possibly can. After all, I don't personally know the people I'm conversing with online. I don't know their situation offline, and often times, context is lost because you don't know in what "tone" the author was posting their post with. But, there are times when you come across posters who don't give a rat's behind about disagreeing respectfully. I have ran across posters that not only want to call you out for being wrong, but they want to make an example out of you and they want to scare you off from ever posting in said forum ever again. And when the moderators support such a poster, that is when it's time for me to move on. I've found that C-D, for the most part, is pretty inventing for all. I've disagreed with people on quite a few different forums. There have been some spirited debate. Even me and Dave had a spirited debate awhile back. But you know, in the end, for the most part, people are mostly respectable. You have to understand the mentality of the posters certain forums are going to attract.
Yep! Sports posters can be a spirited bunch, and especially when it comes to their own teams!

Old 07-08-2015, 04:59 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I'm a huge SM fan too, his personal record speaks for itself. But Allen made it clear that it is his role to hire or fire the head coach, McCloughan is strictly a personnel guy.

But let's be honest, SM can pick great players but if he can't find a QB, assuming this current cast flames out, we are simply spinning our wheels. This game is all about the QB.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm a huge SM fan too, his personal record speaks for itself. But Allen made it clear that it is his role to hire or fire the head coach, McCloughan is strictly a personnel guy.

But let's be honest, SM can pick great players but if he can't find a QB, assuming this current cast flames out, we are simply spinning our wheels. This game is all about the QB.
Actually, this isn't true. McCloughan is in charge of all football personnel, not just player acquisitions. Now, before McCloughan was hired, Allen did state in a press conference (might have been after this past season had ended) that he was in charge of hiring the head coach, but that was before it was decided to bring Scot on as a true general manager. Since that point, Allen is no longer in charge of any of that. He's strictly on the side of helping to construct the contracts and to be the "face" of the franchise with business outside of the team (such as the deal with the name, new stadium, etc..). From this point on, it's Scot's show, and it's his ship to sink or swim.

I agree that in this day and age, finding a solid quarterback is very important. Back in the days of the 80's, Joe Gibbs was successful, often despite, the quarterback position. I'm hearing good reports about Griffin lately, so who knows? He might turn it around this season, although I'm not holding my breathe. But keep in mind, it was Scot who helped to find Russell Wilson. It was his suggestion that Schneider draft Wilson for the Seahawks. Scot was also responsible for drafting Alex Smith, even though Smith didn't do much in his first few years at San Fran, he did grow into a decent quarterback after awhile. So, Scot has the ability to find good quarterbacks, but right now, his man focus is building this team up in the trenches.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:27 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I hope you are right but the guy on the radio said when SM was hired Allen was asked if he would be in charge of the head coach and Allen said no, that was not his role and it would be Allen's decision to hire/fire the HC.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I hope you are right but the guy on the radio said when SM was hired Allen was asked if he would be in charge of the head coach and Allen said no, that was not his role and it would be Allen's decision to hire/fire the HC.
The guy on the radio is incorrect.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:30 AM

Well, following the Confederate Flag situation and the Gay Marriage thing, looks like the liberals have turned their attention back on the Redskins' name. I'm so sick of hearing about this year in and year out.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:48 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Well, following the Confederate Flag situation and the Gay Marriage thing, looks like the liberals have turned their attention back on the Redskins' name. I'm so sick of hearing about this year in and year out.
Even if Snyder caved in, they still won't be happy. They spend all of their time crying about things that does not concern them and still feel miserable when there is a resolution, hence why they turn their attention to the name after two other issues that weren't that serious to begin with.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Even if Snyder caved in, they still won't be happy. They spend all of their time crying about things that does not concern them and still feel miserable when there is a resolution, hence why they turn their attention to the name after two other issues that weren't that serious to begin with.
Very true! I find it hilarious that D.C. has told them the only way they will let the 'skins move back into the District is if they change the name. Virginia would welcome the Redskins with open arms! They already have training camp in Richmond, and right now, the possible site in VA is the leading candidate for the next stadium. Sounds good to me! Just makes it a wee bit closer for me in terms of driving up to see a game.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:20 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
Redskins training camp 2015: The complete guide - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football