Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

Yeah I'm with you SG, I like the first 2 candidates way more. There is no doubt Barry would not have gotten the most out of the young players SM has given him, let's hope the new guy finds a way to make Cravens the play maker we all know he has. His pick was literally the only contribution they got from an entire rookie class. That is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:53 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah I'm with you SG, I like the first 2 candidates way more. There is no doubt Barry would not have gotten the most out of the young players SM has given him, let's hope the new guy finds a way to make Cravens the play maker we all know he has. His pick was literally the only contribution they got from an entire rookie class. That is amazing.
Don't know why Barry didn't play Cravens at safety more than he did. Cravens probably would have not gotten injured, or at least we would have seen more of what he's capable of. Barry just didn't know how to access his young players. We all know Fuller struggled and I know I was frustrated with how much Fuller was getting burned, but he's also a rookie. Sometimes you just gotta take your lumps and allow these young guys to play and improve.

Don't know if the 'skins would be willing to keep Junior Galette, but I'm telling ya, the guy wants to come back and willing to take whatever the Redskins will give him to play. I would be willing to give him one more shot. The guy is hungry, and he has the potential of being a difference maker if healthy. I know health is a huge question mark with Galette, but man, if he could show us what he's capable of, it would be well worth the gamble.

I'll say this, even if there had not been injuries on the defensive side of the ball, I don't think Barry would have gotten enough out of the unit. I think McCloughan felt he gave Barry "good enough" for at least middle of the pack, and Barry just cannot maximize the talent. I think either Pettine or Bradley can get the most out of what is there. Any improvement will go a long way with this team.

Looks like the Redskins might also be looking for a new OC as well. Sean McVay had a second interview with the LA Rams. He might be the youngest head coach in the NFL come next year.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:19 PM

The Redskins have interviewed both Mike Pettine and Gus Bradley. I think they are set to inteview Wilks from the Panthers, but I bet the Panthers wind up promoting him to DC now that Sean McDermott has taken the Bills head coaching job.

My top three choices are Pettine, Bradley, and Phillips. Now that Denver has hired their new head coach (the former DC from the Dolphins), it's possible that Wade Phillips could be out in Denver. He's my all around top choice, but he's 70 years old. We'd be looking at a new DC in a few years, but he would fix the Redskins defense PDQ.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:37 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Gallette will be back, ready to sign a one year vet minimum. Have to root for that guy, I've been psyched about what he can bring for 2 years. He can't tear any more, he only has 2, but I have to question what a 2 year absence will do.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Gallette will be back, ready to sign a one year vet minimum. Have to root for that guy, I've been psyched about what he can bring for 2 years. He can't tear any more, he only has 2, but I have to question what a 2 year absence will do.
Hopefully the two years will at least help to strengthen him to avoid any other injuries he might get. But yeah, if Galette is willing to sign a one year vet-minimum deal, I think you almost have an obligation to take him up on that offer and see what happens.

If Gallette is healthy, Cravens is placed at safety, Kerrigan continues to play like he has, there are some good pieces to work with. Scot will add some more pieces in the offseason, so, there should be enough for the new defensive coordinator to work with. It will take another year or so on top of that to really get the defense to being a top 10 defense, but if they can at least get this defense to middle of the road, I think we as fans have to expect this team to make the playoffs on a regular basis.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:31 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Well, crap.. Now we need an OC and DC.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, crap.. Now we need an OC and DC.
Yep. And our OC just hired the best DC in the league. And we were set to interview Phillips today! Bummer!

Old 01-13-2017, 10:59 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yep. And our OC just hired the best DC in the league. And we were set to interview Phillips today! Bummer!
That's something of a concern regarding Kirk's development. Not massive, but.. There's a little rumbling in the gut over it. He's had his best success with McVay.. None with other OCs.. But.. I think he's grown over the past 2 years and I don't REALLY think it'll be an issue.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That's something of a concern regarding Kirk's development. Not massive, but.. There's a little rumbling in the gut over it. He's had his best success with McVay.. None with other OCs.. But.. I think he's grown over the past 2 years and I don't REALLY think it'll be an issue.
I don't think it's just McVay that helped to develop Kirk Cousins. You have to give a lot of credit to quarterback coach Matt Cavanaugh. The good thing is, it appears that we're keeping both Bill Callahan and Matt Cavanaugh, and one of them, likely, will be promoted to offensive coordinator. Both have prior experience as such. Not sure which would be better with playcalling or if either would call plays (Gruden called plays in 2014.) Like you said, at this point, I don't think it's as much of an issue.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:03 AM

Wow, letting our thread slip off the front page! Tsk tsk!

Well, the Redskins are still looking for their new DC. They've interviewed Gus Bradley, Mike Pettine, Rob Ryan (puke), Greg Manusky, and Jason Tarver. Or I should say, by Thursday this will be the guys they've interviewed. I'm still holding out hope for either Bradley or Pettine, but I saw a tweet last night say that Manusky blew them away in his interview, so it's quite possible that he winds up getting the job. Also looks like the Redskins might hire Jim Tomsula as their new defensive line coach - who by the way, coached under Manusky in San Fran. And if I'm not mistaken, I think Traver also coached on that same coaching staff.

So, it all is very much looking like Manusky has an inside track on the job. Not sure what to think about it. The stats of Manusky's defenses are not great, but maybe this is the right opportunity for him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football