Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 05:18 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

While it's obviously a multi-year plan I was really hoping they could get by with Kirk for a few years while they built the roster and took their time finding and developing their loing term QB. But it's becoming more and more clear that we won't be competitive with any of the QBs on this roster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 03:26 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
While it's obviously a multi-year plan I was really hoping they could get by with Kirk for a few years while they built the roster and took their time finding and developing their loing term QB. But it's becoming more and more clear that we won't be competitive with any of the QBs on this roster.
Oh, the 'skins will be competitive. They already have shown they can be competitive. Being a contender is a ways off.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:05 AM

I think 6 wins is about right. That's not really being competitive.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I think 6 wins is about right. That's not really being competitive.
I think we have different definitions of what the term competitive means. You can be a competitive 6-10 if you're showing signs of improving. On a seasonal bases, if those losses are close and you're team starts winning more games down the stretch. And certainly, you're a competitive team if your wins increase with each passing season.

I think for Jay to keep his job, he's gotta win at least 6 games. Another 4 game season won't save his job. But I'd say that by season three, he'd have to win no less than 9 games. that shows improvement and that's not an unrealistic expectation at that point.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:57 PM

That's just it, they have not shown any signs of improvement. They certainly didn't get better last year, they got worse as the season went on and they failed to correct any of the problems. And that, as well as the general undisciplined play (penalties), lack of halftime adjustments, coming out flat and unprepared to play on a national TV divisional game all points to the coach. I'm all for giving a guy 3 years but not if this continues.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
That's just it, they have not shown any signs of improvement. They certainly didn't get better last year, they got worse as the season went on and they failed to correct any of the problems. And that, as well as the general undisciplined play (penalties), lack of halftime adjustments, coming out flat and unprepared to play on a national TV divisional game all points to the coach. I'm all for giving a guy 3 years but not if this continues.
I'm not sure what you were expecting last year. It's not like Jay Gruden inherited a playoff bound team. He inherited a 3-13 team. He led them to 4 wins last year. Gruden has never been a head coach in the NFL. It's a bit unrealistic to expect him to come in and turn things around in his first year, especially when there were no real changes to player personnel. He basically had the same exact team that Shanahan buried the previous year. Even had a lot of the same coaches to work with (such as Jim Hasslet.) The team basically was the same lousy team from 2013.

That being said, this year, I do expect progress. Scot McCloughan has brought in some quality, physical, players, and he's helped to add depth. He's brought in enough where Gruden can see progress in his work. So, there's no excuse. 6 or 7 wins this year is completely doable, and we shouldn't expect anything less than that. On the flipside, I wouldn't expect anything better than 7 or 8 wins. 8 wins is being very optimistic. But what I do hope to see is a team that's playing tough, physical, football and win or lose, the other team knows that when they leave that field Sunday afternoon, they know they have just been in a war. I think you'll see more of that. SM said, that's what he expects out of the team this year.

So, with THAT being said, if we continue to see the team coming out flat week in and week out, that's the coaching staff. If we continue to see horrible penalties committed, that's on the coaching staff. If we see the team can't win more than 3 games, we'll see Scot McCloughan firing Jay Gruden. If it's a 6-8 win season, I would say that is most definitely progress, and next year, Gruden should have a good enough team to challenge for the NFC East title.

But mind you, it still sucks seeing the team lose. I hate to lose, and it angers me to see this team lose games. But, at the same time, I realize progress is a bit more granular than what you see on the score board. To build this team right, it takes time. McCloughan is the best thing to have ever happened to this franchise in a long, long time. So, I have faith that he'll right the ship, but it's going to take longer than one season.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:15 AM

What I was hoping to see last year was improvement as the year went on, we didn't see that. The team regressed and continues to look flat and unprepared on a regular basis and is constantly being outplayed in the second half as other staffs are making better adjustments (garbage time last week does not count). All are very concerning signs regarding the coach.

Sorry to be so negative but after 23 years I've about had enough. I want to believe in GMSM I really do. But I've been fooled too many times before when proven winners Marty, Coach Gibbs, and Shanny were hired. We all thought at the time that things will fnally be different but Lucy always pulls the ball away. Always.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
What I was hoping to see last year was improvement as the year went on, we didn't see that. The team regressed and continues to look flat and unprepared on a regular basis and is constantly being outplayed in the second half as other staffs are making better adjustments (garbage time last week does not count). All are very concerning signs regarding the coach.

Sorry to be so negative but after 23 years I've about had enough. I want to believe in GMSM I really do. But I've been fooled too many times before when proven winners Marty, Coach Gibbs, and Shanny were hired. We all thought at the time that things will fnally be different but Lucy always pulls the ball away. Always.
Well, again, last year, I'll give Gruden a pass because it was his first year as head coach in the league, not to mention that it's pretty difficult to improve as a team when you're having issues with the quarterback position. But I digress....

You're not the only brother. I hate losing. I hate seeing the Redskins lose. My wife says I am in the worst mood ever after watching the Redskins lose. And of course, I was in a really bad mood over the weekend, because I can usually count on the Hokies to win, but even they let me down. But the reason why I think this time is different, is because McCloughan truly is a proven GM in terms of scouting the right players. He's helped to build the 90's Green Bay Packers teams, San Fran, and Seattle. Everywhere he's went has turned into, at least, a Super Bowl contender if not champs. So, having Scot taking care of the talent, and having Gruden just focus on coaching, this is the right setup. Scot is not Vinny. I think about how different things might be right now had the team not have so many season ending injuries. And unfortunately, the team just suffered two more season ending injuries this week.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
yeah, i think that's the most difficult part of it all. we've been "rebuilding" for 20 years, but we never had the right personnel to actually build a winner. But now, finally....with Allen & Scott running the show, we have competent people to put together a team.

I still don't think Gruden is that great of a coach, nor do I think Kirk is that great of a QB. But, I feel confident that, over the next several years, the team around the QB and HC will get a lot better. I expect both Gruden and KC to be gone by spring 2017.

So, as hard as it is to remain patient as the Redskins "rebuild," I actually have faith this time that we will get better in a few years.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
yeah, i think that's the most difficult part of it all. we've been "rebuilding" for 20 years, but we never had the right personnel to actually build a winner. But now, finally....with Allen & Scott running the show, we have competent people to put together a team.

I still don't think Gruden is that great of a coach, nor do I think Kirk is that great of a QB. But, I feel confident that, over the next several years, the team around the QB and HC will get a lot better. I expect both Gruden and KC to be gone by spring 2017.

So, as hard as it is to remain patient as the Redskins "rebuild," I actually have faith this time that we will get better in a few years.
I don't think Gruden will be around either. I hope I am pleasantly surprised though. We have to remember, Scot McCloughan is, also, still working with the existing scouting team that was here before he arrived. So, look for changes after this season is over. McCloughan has his own scouting guys that he wants to bring in, and I hope he's afforded the opportunity to do so. Or, at least, make changes where changes are necessary in the scouting department. From there, McCloughan needs to be the guy to determine if Gruden has a future with the Redskins. Not Allen. Not Snyder. Only thing I will say is that McCloughan was partly responsible for bringing in Mike Nolan to coach the 49ers. So, he might not be the best talent evaluator in terms of coaching. But I would say, if it comes down to replacing coaches, the next coach will need to understand that SM has brought in his type of guys. He is changing this team into a physical, bruising football team, so he's going to need a coach who compliments that mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football