Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 07:32 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
It's not ridiculous if that is the market price. I can name 10 teams right now who would get into a bidding war for Kirk Cousins, imagine the number if that happens. And since the cap and with it salaries always go up in a few years $27 million/year for a good not great starting QB would look perfectly reasonable. As you said the longer they wait the higher the figure.
Well, currently, $30M/yr is not the market price for good quarterbacks. $20M/yr is. Which means, the 'skins will base their negotiations on what Cousins' tag amount was this year. They'll use that number as a baseline and probably offer him between $22M-$25M/yr. Honestly, I think $25M/yr is very reasonable for a good quarterback who hasn't won a playoff game yet. Brock Osweiler was the highest paid free agent QB this past year, with a base salary of $18M/yr. So, it would easily make Cousins the highest paid QB in the league.

What I'm saying is, if Cousins is tagged again, that tag is either $24M or $27M. I can't remember, but assuming it's the latter, then should the Redskins choose to tag him again and Cousins has another solid year, then they're going to be negotiating around $30M/yr base salary in next year's offseason. Now, I realize that would probably be the going rate should the Redskins tag Kirk Cousins again, but I'm merely saying ridiculous because I can't fathom that much money for a quarterback who hasn't won a playoff game yet, let alone a Super Bowl championship.

And this, by no means, means I'm souring on Kirk Cousins. I expect if the Redskins do want to keep him, they will need to overpay somewhat, but I think there's limits. Putting all your eggs into on basket can wind up setting your team back as much as cutting a good QB loose that wants more than he's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 11:24 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,756 times
JOE BARRY IS GONE!!!!! Finally!!!!

Once we get a good defensive coordinator, and can retain Cousins, and Garcon (iffy about DJax), then looks like we have a legit team going next year. Our Defense has been our biggest weakness and is why we missed the playoffs.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
JOE BARRY IS GONE!!!!! Finally!!!!

Once we get a good defensive coordinator, and can retain Cousins, and Garcon (iffy about DJax), then looks like we have a legit team going next year. Our Defense has been our biggest weakness and is why we missed the playoffs.
I HOPE we can land a solid DC. Most people are calling for either Rex Ryan or Gus Bradley. I think I would take Bradley over Ryan, because I do not want a three ring circus with Rex Ryan. While I'm glad that it looks like Todd Bowles might be keeping his HC job. I was hoping for his availability, because I would bring him in in a split second.

My question will be, do we hire the best DC available even if it means a switch back to the 4-3? Or do we strictly look for a DC who specializes in the 3-4? Personally, I don't care either way, I just want the best man for the job.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:45 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I know the conversation has switched to Joe Barry, thank goodness, but I just wanted to point out that a few years ago Kirk could be had for a 3rd yet nobody called. LOL, Offseason Champs once again.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I know the conversation has switched to Joe Barry, thank goodness, but I just wanted to point out that a few years ago Kirk could be had for a 3rd yet nobody called. LOL, Offseason Champs once again.
A 3rd round draft choice you mean? So are you hinting had we jettisoned Cousins for a third, we could have gotten Dak Prescott?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:50 AM

Gus Bradley has emerged as the front runner for the vacant defensive coordinator position. He's my favorite, along with Wade Phillips, to take over as DC. He built a pretty solid defense in Seattle.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:06 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Gus Bradley has emerged as the front runner for the vacant defensive coordinator position. He's my favorite, along with Wade Phillips, to take over as DC. He built a pretty solid defense in Seattle.
I thought Wade was retiring? Ah.. ok.. For some reason I think i'm mixing him up with Chan Gailey.

I don't have a problem with Wade.. But he's 69. Don't get me wrong, I'm not age discriminating here, but exactly how long would he be around if we did get him?

Bradley.. At least I could see him hanging out for a while. He's only 50, and I don't think anyone is going to be rolling out the HC carpet for him again in the next few years.

However.. You also have the fact that he couldn't keep the team disciplined in Jacksonville. That could be a problem as discipline ON the field is something of a problem with Washington's defense.

What about promoting Manusky?

Old 01-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I thought Wade was retiring? Ah.. ok.. For some reason I think i'm mixing him up with Chan Gailey.

I don't have a problem with Wade.. But he's 69. Don't get me wrong, I'm not age discriminating here, but exactly how long would he be around if we did get him?

Bradley.. At least I could see him hanging out for a while. He's only 50, and I don't think anyone is going to be rolling out the HC carpet for him again in the next few years.

However.. You also have the fact that he couldn't keep the team disciplined in Jacksonville. That could be a problem as discipline ON the field is something of a problem with Washington's defense.

What about promoting Manusky?
Well, there is a difference between being a head coach and being a coordinator. I think Gus Bradley falls into the category of being an excellent defensive coordinator but being a lousy head coach. Gregg Williams was like that as well. He did nothing in Buffalo, but came to Washington to be our DC and got the most out of the talent we had. One thing with Bradley in Jacksonville, from what I understand, his defense was still pretty solid there, but overall, he just couldn't manage the team. That being said, He wasn't an instant hit with Seattle, but after bringing in some better talent, he got that defense to being one of the best in the league, so I think he would be the best choice.

Phillips still has his job in Denver, so I imagine unless the new head coach wants his own coaching staff on both sides of the ball, Wade will probably remain in Denver. I'll tell ya, I don't care if Wade Phillips is 169, what he did with Denver's defense was outstanding! And the sad thing is, he interviewed with Washington and really wanted to be our DC, but Gruden picked Barry. Such a bad mistake!

As far as Greg Manusky, the players really like him. They say he'd be a lot more aggressive with his playcalling, but he has never been a defensive coordinator before. I think considering the fact that we have already went through two defensive coordinators in three years, Gruden has to get this right if he wants to keep his job. I don't believe it's the right time to test the waters with a guy who has never held that position before. I think you need someone who has had experience and success, and the only viable option in my opinion is Gus Bradley.

Edit: I have to correct myself. Greg Manusky has been a defensive coordinator before, but his defenses were not very highly ranked. So, it would be a big chance going with him.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:21 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I always liked the idea of hiring a failed head coach as a coordinator. They must have been really good coordinators to get head coaching jobs.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I always liked the idea of hiring a failed head coach as a coordinator. They must have been really good coordinators to get head coaching jobs.
Some guys are just not head coach material. They reach their max as coordinators - which is nothing to sneeze at. They can still make a crap load of money as offensive or defensive coordinators, without the stress of being a head coach.

Right now, there's Bradley and Pettine. Both were pretty good defensive coordinators, both sucked as head coaches. Pettine seems to be right up there with Bradley in terms of success as a defensive coordinator, so I would not be upset if the Redskins hire him. I still would like Wade Phillips, but let's face it, if we hire Phillips, we'd only have him for a few seasons. the guy is like 70 years old, and he'll not be coaching forever. With Bradley or Pettine, those guys are relatively young and if they prove to be solid coordinators, you can probably have them for several years to come.

Not a fan of Greg Manusky. His track record as a defensive coordinator is not one I'm willing to take a chance on. It would be a different story if the Redskins already had a solid defense and we were letting go a long time DC and just wanted to give some fresh new blood a chance to prove themselves. But at this point, this is Jay Gruden's job that's on the line, and it's imperative that he gets this hire right. It's also imperative that the defense improves, even if it's just marginally. I don't expect the defense to go from almost dead last to first in one year, but if they're even middle of the road, that's probably enough to get the Redskins into the playoffs, assuming the Redskins keep their key offensive players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football