Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I never thought Jim Zorn was a good coach but it wasn't his fault that some Jack hired him and paid him millions. I'm glad he is gone; however, I HATE the way he was treated. As bad a coach as he was, he never showed anything but class and certainly deserved to be treated with respect. It's a shame how he was treated and how this thing played out. I hope this is the beginning of a brighter, more respectful chapter in Redskins history. Best of luck Coach Zorn!
Amen to that. Class guy all the way. And with more O Line and less Vinny, I reckon he would have been much better.

Anyway, I fear Shanahan will simply be the latest to attempt extracting Excaliber from the stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Amen to that. Class guy all the way. And with more O Line and less Vinny, I reckon he would have been much better.

Anyway, I fear Shanahan will simply be the latest to attempt extracting Excaliber from the stone.
Well said! I completely agree with you on Shanahan!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Shanahan hadn't really had a winning record in a long time, has he? I realize there aren't that many great coaches out there but why do these guys keep getting recycled. But I guess he will be better than what you had...but then Zorn was much easier on the eyes than Shanahan. I think Zorn is one good looking man!

Last edited by loveautumn; 01-06-2010 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
I highly doubt this will work. The coaching is not the problem. The Redskins simply think that they can buy a winning team. Pittsburgh, New England, and Carolina to a smaller extent have proven good teams are built NOT bought.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I highly doubt this will work. The coaching is not the problem. The Redskins simply think that they can buy a winning team. Pittsburgh, New England, and Carolina to a smaller extent have proven good teams are built NOT bought.
Don't forget Indy... They never sign big name free agents. I think to your point, Danny Boy Snyder is the problem. He sucks as an owner. If he backs off and let the GM do his job, it "might" work out. "Might" being the key word here!!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:32 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Shanahan hadn't really had a winning record in a long time, has he? I realize there aren't that many great coaches out there but why do these guys keep getting recycled. But I guess he will be better than what you had...but then Zorn was much easier on the eyes than Shanahan. I think Zorn is one good looking man!
Shanahan's problem is that he simply had too much control of the Broncos without any checks and balances on him, and he had a serious case of nepotism evidenced by hiring Bob Slowik as his defensive coordinator, who is almost certainly joining Shanny in Washington.

When it comes down to X's and O's there are very few coaches in the NFL who are better than Shanahan. The deciding factor for him now will be A) has he learned from the mistakes he made in Denver and B) how much control the Redskins give him.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Course having Elway and alot of other great players didn't hurt either...Denver has really never recovered since Elway left, IMO. Same with Dallas after Aikman, Young in SF.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Course having Elway and alot of other great players didn't hurt either...Denver has really never recovered since Elway left, IMO. Same with Dallas after Aikman, Young in SF.
We getting close with Griese, until he blew up his shoulder and lost what marginal arm strength he had to begin with.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 PM

So far, I've been impressed with the staff Shanahan is putting together. I'm still wondering what he's going to do with Campbel and Portis. Any thoughts?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
So far, I've been impressed with the staff Shanahan is putting together. I'm still wondering what he's going to do with Campbel and Portis. Any thoughts?
You have?

I think his son (Kyle) is a good hire, as is Bobby Turner, but the rest of the staff looks pretty questionable to me. Haslett has been up and down as a DC. Bob Slowik is a pretty good defensive backs coach but he is also a good friend of Shanahan's that he likes to put in the defensive coordinator position, and Jacob Burney might be the worst defensive line coach in the entire league and I can already see a personality clash between him and Haynesworth.

I hate to say it, because I really like Mike, but the same things that sunk him here in Denver seem to be following him to Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football