Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 11:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And with a crappy running game. Sorry, but while I do like Robert Kelley, he's, to use the term that seems to be in vogue in this topic at the moment.. average. Has potential, but is still just average right now.

Matt Jones was sub-par. Flashes of brilliance, but more down than up. Morris' last year was a disaster, but I don't really blame him for that. Morris was a 'grind them down' running back.. They'd play him the first half, and where he'd normally wind up picking up most of his yards in the second half, they put Jones in which made him look far better than he was.

Thompson has been good, but he's a third down back. I like Mack Brown as well, but again, he's not an every-down back, IMO. He's the 'change of pace' back.

The only 'great' player the Redskins have had has been Jordan Reed. Even Norman was not 'great', he was very good, but not 'great'. Reed has likely been the difference between the 7-8-1 and 9-7 records and finishing 5-11. The entire TE corps has been excellent, even back to the Cooley days.

Very happy with Hopkins and Tress Way. I have concerns about the WR this year. They're unproven. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised with them being incredible and I wouldn't be surprised to see them stink up the joint.
Perine will wind up pushing Kelly for the starting tail back job. I wouldn't doubt if Perine isn't named the starter either by week one or shortly after.

You're forgetting Trent Williams. I know linemen don't get the sexy publicity that skilled position players get, but Williams is a great player. He's an all-pro and I wouldn't doubt he's not in the Hall of Fame some time down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 04:57 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,008 times
An ESPN Documentary About the 1987 Redskins Replacement Players Is the Ultimate Underdog Story You’ve Never Heard

https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/0...gton-redskins/

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 05-26-2017 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: add more information

Old 05-27-2017, 07:49 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
It's a lot easier to build an outstanding defense than to find an elite quarterback.
Depends on where the bar is set for outstanding. If you only mean top 10 or top 5 then yes. But if you mean a truly great defense then there are typically just one or two of those per season. Where as we have up to 4 or 5 great QBs in any given season. I think where the difference comes in, the teams with those top QBs don't typically change from year to year. So yes, that is where the hard to find one comes in. But again, with regard to those truly great defenses, there almost never more than two of those in a season. So the odds are still stacked heavily against any one team having one.

At any rate, I don't want to highjack this thread since I'm not a Skins fan. And I actually like Cousins quite a bit and believe the Skins should have locked him up long term already, or hopefully still will smooth things over and do that before the season starts. My main point, I think? Was pointing the obvious out that Kirk while good was no elite QB like Rodgers, Big Ben or Brady.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
It's a lot easier to build an outstanding defense than to find an elite quarterback.

Eddie LeBaron and Al Dorow are unavailable but Jack Scarbath is.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Depends on where the bar is set for outstanding. If you only mean top 10 or top 5 then yes. But if you mean a truly great defense then there are typically just one or two of those per season. Where as we have up to 4 or 5 great QBs in any given season. I think where the difference comes in, the teams with those top QBs don't typically change from year to year. So yes, that is where the hard to find one comes in. But again, with regard to those truly great defenses, there almost never more than two of those in a season. So the odds are still stacked heavily against any one team having one.

At any rate, I don't want to highjack this thread since I'm not a Skins fan. And I actually like Cousins quite a bit and believe the Skins should have locked him up long term already, or hopefully still will smooth things over and do that before the season starts. My main point, I think? Was pointing the obvious out that Kirk while good was no elite QB like Rodgers, Big Ben or Brady.
The difference is, you don't have 4 to 5 truly great quarterbacks being drafted every season. If you did, then there would be enough elite quarterback talent to go around so that no team would ever be in a position to have to overspend on a player who may, technically, not deserve to be the highest paid quarterback in the league. But, since good/great/elite quarterbacks don't grow on trees, it becomes the law of supply and demand. Cousins is a solid, pretty good quarterback. There's a high demand for guys like Kirk Cousins. So, he's going to get top money. It doesn't matter that he's not elite or may not ever be able to put a team on his back and win a Super Bowl. It's the fact that he's good enough to win a lot of games, and put a franchise in a position to possibly make a Super Bowl run, and that's what you pay for. And, I've seen enough of Cousins to know that given the right group around him, he has the potential to lead a team to the Super Bowl. I think he can be, at least, on the level of Mark Rypien.

I don't think anybody here is saying Cousins is elite. I'm definitely not. Personally, my belief is elite will get you more opportunities to win multiple Super Bowls. Good will get you within the conversation and possibly a mighty push in a season that takes you all the way if the pieces happen to fall into place. But, good probably won't get you repeat Super Bowl appearances or wins. Right now, Redskins fans would at least love the idea of our team even being in the conversation. This team has been a joke for the better part of the last 20 years, so even having the remote potential at the Super Bowl means progress for us.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:01 PM

17,581 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
I think he can be, at least, on the level of Mark Rypien.

I don't think anybody here is saying Cousins is elite. I'm definitely not. Personally, my belief is elite will get you more opportunities to win multiple Super Bowls. Good will get you within the conversation and possibly a mighty push in a season that takes you all the way if the pieces happen to fall into place. But, good probably won't get you repeat Super Bowl appearances or wins. Right now, Redskins fans would at least love the idea of our team even being in the conversation. This team has been a joke for the better part of the last 20 years, so even having the remote potential at the Super Bowl means progress for us.
I agree with the Rypien statement.. I do think that Kirk has the POTENTIAL to be elite. Something of a cop-out as everyone has the potential, I suppose, but.. We do have to remember that he's basically going into his third year here. Compare his first two years with Manning or Rodgers..

90% of being an elite QB is leadership, and I think Kirk has shown that.

And, besides.. You all know that if they had a decent defense and a solid running game the past 2 years and had gone deep into the playoffs or won a Super Bowl, everyone would be comparing Kirk to Jesus and asking how much better than Brady he was. But, that's just Washington fans.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I agree with the Rypien statement.. I do think that Kirk has the POTENTIAL to be elite. Something of a cop-out as everyone has the potential, I suppose, but.. We do have to remember that he's basically going into his third year here. Compare his first two years with Manning or Rodgers..

90% of being an elite QB is leadership, and I think Kirk has shown that.

And, besides.. You all know that if they had a decent defense and a solid running game the past 2 years and had gone deep into the playoffs or won a Super Bowl, everyone would be comparing Kirk to Jesus and asking how much better than Brady he was. But, that's just Washington fans.
Absolutely! And that's my point. Kirk Cousins had no defense to work with. Honestly, it was the worst defense I had ever seen in the NFL. Not only was a horrible defense, but there is factual, statistical evidence to support this team had the worst third down defense in the history of the league. So yeah, it was horrible. Given that Cousins was able to help squeeze out 8 wins with this team last season was probably a great accomplishment with how bad that defense was.

The talking heads are saying that, at least on paper, this defense is going to be greatly improved. We'll see. If it winds up being that, this team has a great opportunity to go far this year.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Supreme Court rules disparagement provision in trademark law violates First Amendment

"The Slants' victory at the Supreme Court on Monday could benefit the Washington Redskins football team's effort to win its trademark dispute."

Old 06-22-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Supreme Court rules disparagement provision in trademark law violates First Amendment

"The Slants' victory at the Supreme Court on Monday could benefit the Washington Redskins football team's effort to win its trademark dispute."
That's big news. Pretty much applies to the Redskins as well. Would love to see this finally put to rest.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:47 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
That's big news. Pretty much applies to the Redskins as well. Would love to see this finally put to rest.
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football