Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 03:51 PM

5,915 posts, read 6,397,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We have seen how drafting QBs has worked out, the Redskins have a long list of failed 1st round QBs on their draft resume. I'm still a firm believer that the team with the best QB wins in January (see Chiefs vs Pittsburg for instance). With that said when you find a good QB you simply have to keep him because you can spend the next 30 years trying to find someone as good. Just look at the list of QBs teams like Chicago, Cleveland and of course Washington have been trotting out there for generations.

The team knows this and Kirk and his agent know it. That's why good QBs get paid so well, there's only a handful of them in the entire world.
There's still a few days left before the deadline. It will be the 11th hour if he signs before the deadline. Nothing to worry about just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:22 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,242,517 times
Yeah we knew it would go run right up to the end. I really thought the Carr deal would make it happen, the market has just been set and this deal should be similar I would think.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah we knew it would go run right up to the end. I really thought the Carr deal would make it happen, the market has just been set and this deal should be similar I would think.
I saw write ups where they were claiming the Carr deal would make the Cousins deal almost impossible, but I don't really see the logic. I thought the Carr deal, if anything, would establish what a good quarterback would be getting paid, realistically, and if anything, the Cousins camp would see what an actually signed contract for a QB, similar to him, looks like. I know his agent wants to try to make a name for himself by getting Cousins to sign the biggest contract in the NFL, but at some point, I think it starts to become a distraction for the player. Cousins has said he wants to be in Washington, and the powers that be have said they want him here. Just get the job done.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I saw write ups where they were claiming the Carr deal would make the Cousins deal almost impossible, but I don't really see the logic. I thought the Carr deal, if anything, would establish what a good quarterback would be getting paid, realistically, and if anything, the Cousins camp would see what an actually signed contract for a QB, similar to him, looks like. I know his agent wants to try to make a name for himself by getting Cousins to sign the biggest contract in the NFL, but at some point, I think it starts to become a distraction for the player. Cousins has said he wants to be in Washington, and the powers that be have said they want him here. Just get the job done.

Yeah as I said I don't see how the Carr deal hurts getting this deal signed for the reasons we both mentioned. But again this is not a distraction for Kirk, this is right where he wants to be.

This is his big opportunity, the opportunity of a lifetime. He has no incentive to sign now, he is fine playing under the franchise tag this season at $24 million. And he will be fine either playing under it again next year, at what $35 million, or going out on the open market. Can you imagine the deal he could get when the bidding war starts assuming he plays well this year?

Old 07-13-2017, 03:15 PM

So RGIII dumps his wife and baby and now has a new baby with a new wife. Just wondering how he plans on supporting all of these kids he is littering all over the country.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah as I said I don't see how the Carr deal hurts getting this deal signed for the reasons we both mentioned. But again this is not a distraction for Kirk, this is right where he wants to be.

This is his big opportunity, the opportunity of a lifetime. He has no incentive to sign now, he is fine playing under the franchise tag this season at $24 million. And he will be fine either playing under it again next year, at what $35 million, or going out on the open market. Can you imagine the deal he could get when the bidding war starts assuming he plays well this year?
If he becomes a free agent next year, he'll get bank. If he doesn't sign a long term contract this year, I really hope the Redskins draft a QB next year.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
So RGIII dumps his wife and baby and now has a new baby with a new wife. Just wondering how he plans on supporting all of these kids he is littering all over the country.
You know, I was totally on the RGIII bandwagon after that '12 season. I bragged about how intelligent and mature he was, how he was a great guy, and how he's going to do big things. Now, I kind of look at him as he's just another one who let the success of his college years and one NFL year go to his head and he thinks he's this greatest thing. Dumping his wife shortly after they give birth to their child, hooking up with this blonde college chick, getting her pregnant, marrying her, and I'm sure there's going to be a rinse and repeat at some point.

Hopefully for him he heads up to Canada. He can probably be a star up in the CFL. Either that or the Arena league. They still do have the AFL, right?

Old 07-14-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
You know, I was totally on the RGIII bandwagon after that '12 season. I bragged about how intelligent and mature he was, how he was a great guy, and how he's going to do big things. Now, I kind of look at him as he's just another one who let the success of his college years and one NFL year go to his head and he thinks he's this greatest thing. Dumping his wife shortly after they give birth to their child, hooking up with this blonde college chick, getting her pregnant, marrying her, and I'm sure there's going to be a rinse and repeat at some point.

Hopefully for him he heads up to Canada. He can probably be a star up in the CFL. Either that or the Arena league. They still do have the AFL, right?

As you may recall I was all in for RGIII. I saw Cousins as always having a limit and the sky was the limit for Griffin. Not because of his running, I knew that wouldn't last. But I was convinced because he threw a great ball, particularly a great deep ball. Unlike Vick, McNabb etc he just flat out could hit what he threw at. On top of that, as you say, he appeared to be a good guy who was easy to get behind.

I was also one of his last defenders, sticking with him throughout that preseason where he got sacked, then benched. But now I feel like a scorned lover. I hate the son of a ***** for your reasons and more.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:02 PM

17,380 posts, read 14,911,744 times
Quote:
As you may recall I was all in for RGIII. I saw Cousins as always having a limit and the sky was the limit for Griffin. Not because of his running, I knew that wouldn't last. But I was convinced because he threw a great ball, particularly a great deep ball. Unlike Vick, McNabb etc he just flat out could hit what he threw at. On top of that, as you say, he appeared to be a good guy who was easy to get behind.

I was also one of his last defenders, sticking with him throughout that preseason where he got sacked, then benched. But now I feel like a scorned lover. I hate the son of a ***** for your reasons and more.
I was on the Cousins bandwagon from that first game he started against Cleveland. Maybe even back to when he came in against the Falcons.. He threw a great TD in that game, but 2 picks.. Though the picks were situational.

I wasn't pushing for him to start in place of Griffin until midway through '13 or so. I was glad to see him start in '14, but thought they had him on too short a leash. Always felt he could play through the interceptions and he has.

That being said.. When they drafted him I couldn't figure out why.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I was on the Cousins bandwagon from that first game he started against Cleveland. Maybe even back to when he came in against the Falcons.. He threw a great TD in that game, but 2 picks.. Though the picks were situational.

I wasn't pushing for him to start in place of Griffin until midway through '13 or so. I was glad to see him start in '14, but thought they had him on too short a leash. Always felt he could play through the interceptions and he has.

That being said.. When they drafted him I couldn't figure out why.
I remember that. I argued that OK to pretty good QBs, which is where I saw Cousins topping out at, are just good enough to get you beat in January. And history does clearly show that. I thought it was foolish to get all excited over a couple of good games from a 4th rounder when you have a potential franchising changing star on your roster. I believe I said Scott Mitchell had a handful of good games too at one time.

Oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football