Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,053,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
I am a shareholder, and I've been a fan for 25+ years. I'm behind management 100%.

What might not be getting out is that this $20 million offer was on the table right after he retired -- it was a goodwill gesture by the club as a way to keep Brett involved with the franchise. The money isn't just "go away" money -- it would be a salary for his involvement in marketing and merchandising. And again, this was on the table way back when he chose to retire.

Brett Favre has put this club in an impossible situation. He has flip-flopped on retirement at least THREE TIMES since March. The fact that he's now considering the $20 million is just further proof that he doesn't know what he wants. If it weren't just about the money, he would have laughed at this offer. Instead, he's giving it serious thought. Favre told Mike McCarthy during one of his flip-flops that he didn't know if he was 100% committed to coming back and putting his heart into football. I guess this proves it.

Enough, already. If he can't make up his mind, it's obvious that someone is going to have to do it for him. That's what management is trying to do right now. This fiasco is hurting the team's attempts to get ready for the upcoming season.

Brett knows the score. He can't come back and be the starting QB. And who can blame the Packers for not releasing him, when he says he wants to go off and play for a division rival? He's had offers from the Jets and Bucs, but he has refused to even return their calls. He could come back and play RIGHT NOW, but he won't, because it has to be on HIS TERMS. That makes him a prima donna, no better than Terrell Owens. He has lied, he has flip-flopped, he has betrayed confidences, he has thrown management under the bus. Brett thinks it's ALL ABOUT HIM, and it's not. He retired. He needs to be a man and stick to his word.

Look, I rooted for the guy every year. He was exciting to watch on the field. He pulled out a lot of great wins. But it's OVER. And he's just embarrassing himself at this point.

Great post! And you make a lot of good points. But with all due respect, any Jack can come in here and claim to be a "shareholder", there is no way to verify that, that's point #1. Second, If the 20 Million offer was on the table back in March, then it should be a non issue now, so that does not make ANY sense at all. If that offer was on the table back in March, then Favre would have known about it and would be a non-issue right now.

Look, I don't have a horse in the race, I'm neither a Packers fan nor a Favre lover. All I'm saying is that both sides have valid points. Packers must move on, Brett has waffled one too many times. They have Rodgers and have to look to the future. And Favre just made a mistake, he's 38, only has maximum 2 more years to play. He wants to play. The guy changed his mind, made a mistake, "waffled"!! So what? People make mistakes, I don't think he did it on purpose.

So, for both party's best interest, isn't it best to just release the guy?? I just think that the Packers have completely mishandled this situation. I'm not 100% sure what the best thing is to do, but I do know this ain't it, release the guy. Do it please, I'm sick of hearing about it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 06:09 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
Another thing to take a look at is the issue of Aaron Rodgers himself. With one year left on his contract, he's going to take a look at the Packers differently if Favre comes back and eventually starts. He will undoubtedly sign elsewhere as the verdict on vote of confidence will be in. He may or may not be the future of the Pack. But Aaron will be looking at this closely.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
And another thing to consider is how that two million dollars affects the club. As this is setting a precedent, it is going to be interesting how this fits under the salary cap. And I don't know how Green Bay management is going to schmoose with the NFL on this one. They probably will claim Favre is an employee of the club which right now he isn't). Or is he? Did he file his retirement papers with the league or not? And if the league decides that Favre is not affected by the cap the interested clubs will file grievences left and right. What do the NFL laws say about this?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Did I hear the radio right this morning??? Favre is back?

Just when you thought the Packers couldnt get any more lame.... UGH

KISS OFF, BRETT! Youre driving us nuts with your on and off BS. SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Did I hear the radio right this morning??? Favre is back?

Just when you thought the Packers couldnt get any more lame.... UGH

KISS OFF, BRETT! Youre driving us nuts with your on and off BS. SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!!!!
Yeah, you heard right, he's been reinstated and will be in Greenbay this afternoon!!! Just when I thought it couldn't get any more lame, it just did!!! What a freaking joke??!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:39 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,235,741 times
I hope this will, at least end the soap oprea;
however, you can guarantee that next summer, some football star will be in the limelight the way Favre was this summer, and Vick was last summer, and T.O. in 2005. Who will it be in 2009?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM

Don't forget about Steve Smith fist fighting with his teammate!!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Don't forget about Steve Smith fist fighting with his teammate!!
Ive been in Texas for most of the week, but I saw this on the ESPN scroller last night, its not the first time Smith's done this either. In all honesty, the whole Panther franchise has been a mess for most of its 14 seasons in the league. Rae Carruth, Kerry Collins, Kevin Greene(attacked a coach during a game), the doping of the special teams. Not the only team to go through this of course, but still being such a young franchise, theyve been through a lot already.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Ive been in Texas for most of the week, but I saw this on the ESPN scroller last night, its not the first time Smith's done this either. In all honesty, the whole Panther franchise has been a mess for most of its 14 seasons in the league. Rae Carruth, Kerry Collins, Kevin Greene(attacked a coach during a game), the doping of the special teams. Not the only team to go through this of course, but still being such a young franchise, theyve been through a lot already.

haha..haha... You just cracked me up big time bringing up Rae Carruth!! He's got to take the cake on this one, that guy was a complete moron. Do you remember the details of his saga? And then, didn't they find him hiding in the trunk of a car in TN somewhere? WOW.....

Old 08-03-2008, 01:00 PM

yep, he was captured in the trunk of his car near parkers crossroads in TN, he was apparently living in their too, he had cash, a phone, candy, and bottles to pee in! Indeed a moron beyond belief. I still have him too on my NFL gameday 2000 game.
EDIT: here are the details of what happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football