Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I'm not going to argue, but it needs to be pointed out that Elway did have a less than respectable entrance to the NFL by refusing to sign with the Baltimore Colts if drafted and threatening to play baseball instead of football. And yes, I was glad to see him win the Super Bowl after losing a few.

While I'm NOT an Elway fan I "almost" give him a pass for not signing with Baltimore for two reasons. 1. Bob Irsay the Drunk, 2. Frank Kush the jerk who knew and hated Elways father ib the college ranks. Irsay destroyed what was probably the "first" Americas Team. Showing up to games drunk, calling plays into the huddle, cutting John Unitas, ordering players to stand in the corner of the locker room, firing the coach during a pre season game and then making his 13 year old kid apologize for him. Is it any wonder Jim Irsay was a druggie? The team in Indycrapolis is NOT the "Colts" they ceased to exist in 1984.
All that being said, Elway was NOT Montana OR Unitas, never has been, never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The 1977 Colt/Raiders afc playoff game was one of the greatest playoff games over as it went to double overtime with Oakland winning. I
I was at that game, cheap temporary seats in the endzone, 8 bucks. Jones had his worst game ever, missed a WIDE OPEN Raymond Chester by 10 yards for 6. Great game, everyone cheered for the fantastic season even after the loss. FYI they won their division 75, 76 and 77 after that, Irsay destroyed the team and pimped it off to the highest bidder. The pretenders that "claim" they're the Colts are just that, "pretenders".

Old 08-11-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Funny thing though, Starr had a higher interception rate than Favre, he just tended to make the bad throws at better times in the game when there was time left to make up for the mistake.
One cannot compare interceptions from a time that receivers were allowed to be mugged at any time or when roughing the QB was almost unheard of and a "head slap" was LEGAL.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Amen.

I lose all respect for guys like him and Eli Manning when they pull stunts like that. They are fortunate beyond words to have the opportunity to play a professional sport for a living, and to put themselves ahead of the game and ahead of any team to me is out of line.

In terms of play on the field Elway had a fantastic career, no question. To me though Joe Montana is the best QB of all time. Montana could lead his team in come from behind wins better than any, he never lost one Super Bowl he appeared in, and the best part of all is he played for the team who drafted him, he didn't complain or try to decide the outcome of his career, he went to the 49ers and helped turn them around, and had the best career of a QB I've ever seen.
I agree. The 49ers were not a premier team before Montana came on board. He and Bill Walsh made that franchise the powerhouse it was in the 80s. He was truly a franchise player in every sense of the word. Don't get me wrong. Elway was one of the greats. But Montana was far, far better on the intangibles.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Thanks Wings of Gold for backing up what I said earlier, for a minute I thought I was flying solo on this issue. There is a lot of good points made on your posts on what I called earlier variables. It has been 24 years since Irsay took his toys and split, and I am still disgusted by it. I didn't want to bring up the Kush ordeal or the Colt move but I might later.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
One cannot compare interceptions from a time that receivers were allowed to be mugged at any time or when roughing the QB was almost unheard of and a "head slap" was LEGAL.
Then maybe we shouldn't compare touchdowns either since all the receivers get so much more freedom. Maybe Randy Moss and Tom Brady's record last year is really a joke and is no better than 30 TD's in the 50's or 60's.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:05 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Moss and Brady? Oh yeah. I almost forgot about them.

The last time I seen them play was the Pro Bowl, right?

Or wait a minute! Something's not right here.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
They only made the pro bowl because the rules are different now than they were in 60's. Otherwise, Bart Starr would have taken Brady's place......

Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
No, Bart Starr would just have the sack and the decency to show up and play.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:01 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Moss and Brady? Oh yeah. I almost forgot about them.

The last time I seen them play was the Pro Bowl, right?

Or wait a minute! Something's not right here.

Yeah something's not right, neither one of them played in the pro bowl.

I guess they were still choking!!!! ha ha ha ha ha
18 in a row didn't mean ****!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football