Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,584 times

Advertisements

As a die-hard Packer fan and long time Brett fan and follower, I am very sorry to see him go and even have heartburn over him putting on another team jersey! However, I am happy that he went to the Jets. They are a team that gets overlooked alot and its about time they have a big name quarterback on the squad. I hope they do well and I would like to see Brett do well. Although if he doesnt, I hope the Packer management realizes what they threw away. Both sides acted horrible in this whole circus act, but the Packer management I feel has made alot of bad decisions. I dont see what is so great about Rodgers, and so far I just cant bring myself to be a fan of him. I'll keep my mouth shut though and see how he does the first few games. Although I admit, I'm afraid to watch!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
this makes the packers just another team, I predict that mid season most of the players will be wishing Favre was their QB.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Looks so weird seeing him in anything but gold n green.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:04 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
The people saying that are Favre haters that are looking at a way to discredit his accomplishments. Favre has had 4 seasons out of 16 with a strong running game, both ended with injury, Dorsey Levens with a broken leg, and Ahman Green with a torn quad. They never were the same after those injuries.

As far as great receivers, I really just can't think of a single receiver that did great in Green Bay with Favre throwing to them, and then left and did just as well with another qb. Almost every receiver has went downhill after leaving Green Bay, and I can't think of any that Green Bay picked up that were notable receivers prior to playing there.

Okay lets play the numbers game. 2005 20 TD's and 29 INT's. 2006 18 TD's and 18 INT's, 2007 28 TD's and 15 INT's. So every year Thompson was adding players around Favre his numbers got better. Are you saying the Packers went 13-3 just based on Favre. Never mind we have one of the top defenses in the NFL. Also, if Thompson is such a moron then why did he get guys like Woodson, Grant, Jennings, Hawk, Jones around Favre.

Maybe the Packers lose 8 TD passes on losing Favre but they also probably lose 8-9 interceptions as well. Rodgers isnt the zip the ball in there type so maybe he wont throw 30 TD's but he also wont throw 25 picks.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Cool. We can call off the regular season now and save all the trouble.

Theres way too much that can change. What if Brady gets hurt. Or Manning. What if any of the big teams have multiple injuries. Look at what happened to the Packers 3 years ago. They were starting wide receivers on Sunday that were picked up on Wednesday or Thursday.

I think the Jets will have a decent chance, and trying to peg a number to how their record will end up is nothing more than guesswork. Thats like trying to peg a number to the Packers. Maybe Rodgers is great and everybody stays healthy and they go deep in the playoffs. Maybe Rodgers is great and Jennings and Driver both get hurt and he has no one to throw to for a few weeks and they barely make wild-card or miss the playoffs altogether.
Of course it is guesswork, that is what the offseason is for! The Jets are at best, a wild card team. No way they catch the Patriots without them getting ravaged by injuries. The Colts were ravaged with injuries last year and still won their division. I think the Pats would be the same way (I hope I am wrong!) If you have to hope that other teams get shaken by injuries, what does that say about your prospects anyway? I hope the Jets can make a run, but I just don't see it. The AFC is so strong, the Jets are not a great team. If the Jets make the playoffs, I will gladly revisit this thread and eat crow; I just don't think that will be needed.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:18 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
I hope the Packer management realizes what they threw away. Both sides acted horrible in this whole circus act, but the Packer management I feel has made alot of bad decisions. I dont see what is so great about Rodgers, and so far I just cant bring myself to be a fan of him.
OK, here's what I absolutely cannot figure out among Packer fans who don't believe in Rodgers. He has been in line to be the starting QB since March. March! Yet I didn't hear anybody question him or criticize him until AFTER Brett started his little comeback drama. Before that, everyone was behind him and wishing him well. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. It's like Rodgers was OK and everyone accepted him and hoped the best for him before Favre unretired, and now he's a bum who'll be lucky to win a single game.

I really think people are letting their anger at management cloud their attitude toward Rodgers, who (1) has been the plan at QB all along and (2) had absolutely nothing to do with any of this circus. NOTHING. He was just the next guy in line for the job. Besides, he learned under the Great Favre for three years, so why would anyone assume he's going to stink up the joint?

I supported Brett for 16 years as the QB of my team, but I think he has acted shamefully through all of this, and I really don't fault management that much. They could have handled a few things better, yeah, but ultimately they were just trying to hold their team together. In the end, I think they did what was best for the long-term health of this organization. Look what happened when Brett forced his way back into camp. McCarthy talked to him for 10 hours and tried to smooth things over and give Brett a shot at competing for the starting job, but all Brett could do was whine about how the organization had wronged him. HE couldn't get over it, and he even admitted as much. I don't want a guy on my team with a big chip on his shoulder. Can you imagine how much of a distraction that would be? It would have been a disaster.

Bottom line, Brett thought he could march into the front office and the Packers would just roll over and give him whatever he wanted. It blew up in his face. It makes me sick to see, considering how much I rooted for the guy for 16 years. But in the end, he turned out to be just another Terrell Owens ... a big, self-centered prima donna who thought he was bigger than the team.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
As a die-hard Packer fan and long time Brett fan and follower, I am very sorry to see him go and even have heartburn over him putting on another team jersey! However, I am happy that he went to the Jets. They are a team that gets overlooked alot and its about time they have a big name quarterback on the squad. I hope they do well and I would like to see Brett do well. Although if he doesnt, I hope the Packer management realizes what they threw away. Both sides acted horrible in this whole circus act, but the Packer management I feel has made alot of bad decisions. I dont see what is so great about Rodgers, and so far I just cant bring myself to be a fan of him. I'll keep my mouth shut though and see how he does the first few games. Although I admit, I'm afraid to watch!!!
Totally agree with you! I'm not a Packers fan as you know but have always loved Brett Favre, hope he does well.

Lets not forget that Rogers didn't even play one whole game before breaking his foot a couple of years ago and sitting out. It's funny to me how a lot of Packer fans are coming down on Favre, all he's guilty of is changing his mind.

It'll be very interesting if the Packers go 6-10 next year, I wonder who'll be on the hot seat in that front office??!!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:26 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Also seeing the classless Packer fans who show up to Packers practice to boo Rodgers. Not only did we see Favre being a classless jerk but alot of Packer fans showed they are no better than, dare i say it, BEARS FANS.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:19 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Okay lets play the numbers game. 2005 20 TD's and 29 INT's. 2006 18 TD's and 18 INT's, 2007 28 TD's and 15 INT's. So every year Thompson was adding players around Favre his numbers got better. Are you saying the Packers went 13-3 just based on Favre. Never mind we have one of the top defenses in the NFL. Also, if Thompson is such a moron then why did he get guys like Woodson, Grant, Jennings, Hawk, Jones around Favre.

Maybe the Packers lose 8 TD passes on losing Favre but they also probably lose 8-9 interceptions as well. Rodgers isnt the zip the ball in there type so maybe he wont throw 30 TD's but he also wont throw 25 picks.
Favre's numbers didn't get better when Thompson arrived. Lets clear up that misconception immediately. He went from a really good year in 2004 (over 4k yards, over 60% comp, 30 TD's, and 17 INTs) to his worst statistical year ever. It took 3 years for the team to recover from the dismantling of the 2004 Packers at the hands of Ted Thompson. The first year with Thompson they went 4-12. When was the last time the Packers had such a shameful year? The year before Brett Favre arrived in Green Bay.

So really last year the Packers made it back to where they had already been many times before Thompson ever set foot in Green Bay. I wouldn't be so quick to hand him the credit. I would give more credit to McCarthy and the Packers coming together mentally as a team.

But again, you are saying we should expect something along the lines of 3500 yards, 25+ TD's, and 12-15 INT's max from Rodgers this year. I hope you are right, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:23 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Of course it is guesswork, that is what the offseason is for! The Jets are at best, a wild card team. No way they catch the Patriots without them getting ravaged by injuries. The Colts were ravaged with injuries last year and still won their division. I think the Pats would be the same way (I hope I am wrong!) If you have to hope that other teams get shaken by injuries, what does that say about your prospects anyway? I hope the Jets can make a run, but I just don't see it. The AFC is so strong, the Jets are not a great team. If the Jets make the playoffs, I will gladly revisit this thread and eat crow; I just don't think that will be needed.
I don't expect the Jets to win their division, most likely, even if the Patriots suffered a few major injuries they would be difficult to stop. But there are so many unknowns going into this season. The Jets offense will look entirely different from last year when defenses crowded the line because they had no respect for Pennington's ability to go deep.

Personally, I won't be surprised if the Jets miss the playoffs, but I expect them to be in the picture through week 17. I would not be surprised if they earn the 5th or 6th seed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football