Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 04:06 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,992,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I'm no Jerry hater, but I think he got lucky early on. The Jimmy hire was dumb luck. Jimmy had never coached at the NFL level and you just never know what your gonna get from the college ranks. Those 3 Super Bowls were all due to Jimmy Johnson and of course the talent Jimmy was able to amass.

I think Jimmy simply lost his desire to coach after a few years in Miami which seems to be confirmed by the fact he has not returned to the sidelines since..
I agree. Jimmy won a national championship at the University of Miami, then went on to coach the Cowboys to two consecutive Super Bowl wins. He was also the first coach to win an NCAA Divsion 1A National Championship and a Super Bowl. He's one of the best coaches to ever coach the game IMO. When he went back to Miami to coach the Dolphins he just didn't seem to have the same passion for the game that he had for so many years and we all saw the results from that, or I should say lack of results...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:40 PM

18,148 posts, read 25,686,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I agree. Jimmy won a national championship at the University of Miami, then went on to coach the Cowboys to two consecutive Super Bowl wins. He was also the first coach to win an NCAA Divsion 1A National Championship and a Super Bowl. He's one of the best coaches to ever coach the game IMO. When he went back to Miami to coach the Dolphins he just didn't seem to have the same passion for the game that he had for so many years and we all saw the results from that, or I should say lack of results...lol.
TT Dave is right. There is another issue here. When Jimmy came to Miami he came to a team with one individual who was the hallmark of the franchise. And one of the great quarterbacks of all time. And an individual who was not only loved by the community but contributed heavily to the community. That was Dan Marino. At first I had the impression that all was well. But you had two high profile people here and the two clashing at some point was bound to happen once the Dolphins would hit a rough spot in their schedule.

By the halfway point of the 1998 season Miami was hitting a few rough spots, but still made it to the playoffs. But the trouble started when Denver thumped Miami 38-3 in the divisional playoff game. Johnson went into a tailspin, and decided to just up and quit. After several days (and some serious talking to by some Dolphin personnel) he reconsidered and came back. Then in 1999 they didn't set the world on fire but they still made the playoffs, limping at the end, but still making the playoffs. They defeated Seattle in the wildcard game 20-17. But their playoff game against Jacksonville pretty much ended it. Dan Marino had his worst game as a pro, Johnson suffered his worst game as a coach, and the Dolphins suffered their worst loss in their history.

63-7. Jimmy decided sailing off the Florida Keys looked like more fun than being bashed in the Miami papers. Decided to say adios. Dave Wannstedt takes over, and shortly afterwards said the same to Dan Marino.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,762,344 times
Lock out to be ending soon? I sure hope so. Ready to see our rookies in action....

NFL Lockout Enters "Critical Time" - WBAY-TV Green Bay-Fox Cities-Northeast Wisconsin News

Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Dallas Cowboys sign contract with Spider-Man, Captain America | masslive.com

Pretty cool

Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 PM

This is just embarrassing...

DALLAS COWBOYS: A Cowboys Player Wants His Ring Back After Have His Mailed-In Proposal Denied

Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM

18,148 posts, read 25,686,674 times
A reminder here that the team threads were set up on the forum for team business. Team business means discussions of trades, results of past games or past seasons, player transactions, player news, etc. It's been that way before I signed up to moderate this forum.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:02 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,223,234 times
Alot of flash with this team especially on D

Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 837 times
Footfall is very interesting game . I like football. And When start the match i see every match of football.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM

26,680 posts, read 41,533,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Mailed in marriage proposal? What is going on that makes that a sensible idea?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,879,143 times
With the lockout coming to end are we going to make a strong push for Nnamdi Asomugha? I really hope so... The one thing I hated about our team last year was that we could not cover anyone. I think we need to get our secondary solidified and our defense will be one of the best again. If we get him, I think Jenkins or even old Newman would be much better having most of the safeties help.

What are some of your thoughts on getting Asomugha?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football