Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Every team is on equal footing with the salary cap. Before the cap, it could take years before a bad team could make it to the playoffs. If they had a bad draft and a serious injury, they would struggle against the better teams for years. That's why you usually saw the same teams at the top each decade. In the 60s it was the packers, 70s... Steelers and cowboys, 80s....49ers and redskins, 90s....cowboys and bills. There were other good teams through that period.....raiders, Vikings, broncos, dolphins. But it seemed 1 or 2 teams dominated each decade. The last ten years, the SB has been won by the steelers, ravens, packers, giants, patriots, saints, colts and other teams like the bears, rams, titans, Seahawks, and cardinals have played in the big game. Seemed like the same handful of teams were always in it each decade before.

Each team has the same amount of money. If they overpay certain players or misjudge talent, they lose out but they can reload within a year or two. The ownership and front office that isn't very good, keeps their teams on the bottom. They have the same money as everyone else. There is no excuse to always be at the bottom in today's game. It is a reflection of a weak front office. They overpay, keep players too long, and don't draft well. In the old days it would take decades to rebuild. Now they can do it in a year. The front office people and scouting are more important than ever. You can't just waste money on players. So if they keep failing year after year, it's on them. But every team has a chance to get drastically better every year, even if they were bottom dwellers the previousnyear. Before, once you sank to the bottom, it would be years before your team got good again. It would take 5 years of good drafting to build a decent team. But if you had 1 or 2 bad drafts, you would never reach the top.
there are pros and cons to the system. But those 80's and early 90's teams before the cap would wipe the floor with the best NFL teams in todays game. Because the best NFL teams in todays game just aren't very good. Because of the cap every team has weaknesses. NFL parity pretty much means all teams suck equally.

Look at the Pats from a few years ago. They are probably the only team you could realistically put up against any of the pre-cap teams. And what happened to them? They couldn't keep their players because of the cap. If the NFL at least had an NBA style Larry Bird rule where you could go over the cap to keep your players then teams could once again be great. But they don't. The whole point of the NFL is parity. And that's why the league is barely watchable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times

Cowboys' Jerry Jones dancing Papa John's pizza commercial - YouTube

THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHANG!!

Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
that didn't even happen before the salary cap. But you did have teams like the 1980's 49ers that had a roster full of a great players. How did they get those players? The draft. And they were able to keep their own players because the NFL didn't force them to give them up.
The NFL doesn't force anyone to give up any player. I don't think you really understand how it works. You think if there was no salary cap every player would stay with their team? You think every team would pay top market price for every single player on their roster?

Perhaps you have an issue with free agency.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
There's just no talking to some people, is there?
Considering I don't think one single person has agreed with you, I think people are thinking the same thing about you.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Considering I don't think one single person has agreed with you, I think people are thinking the same thing about you.
Funny that those people are NOT Cowboy fans and can't get it through their heads that the Cowboys didn't have any real options besides this.

But hey, feel free to disagree...

Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The NFL doesn't force anyone to give up any player. I don't think you really understand how it works. You think if there was no salary cap every player would stay with their team? You think every team would pay top market price for every single player on their roster?

Perhaps you have an issue with free agency.
no, I have a big problem with salary caps in sports. And yes, the salary cap prevents teams from keeping all the players they would otherwise be able to keep.

I understand how it works. Do you?

Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
I mean, if you look at the numbers, ROmo is a pretty good QB. Now of course, he seems to be anti-clutch, but overall he's been pretty good under center.

As a Redskins fan, I love tony Romo and I'm glad they made this happen.

But if all those injured players on defense comeback next season at 100% and Romo doesn't choke the way he has in the past, Dallas has the potential to be a really good team. THe Cowboys have always "right there" talent/roster wise the last few years, but never quite able to put it all together.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:29 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Jerry Jones is the new Al Davis. Watching rich old timers go insane is amusing.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
I still don't understand why you give a slightly above average QB so much money. They could have easily got a comparable QB for alot less and sank the rest of the money into improving other needed areas.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I still don't understand why you give a slightly above average QB so much money. They could have easily got a comparable QB for alot less and sank the rest of the money into improving other needed areas.
.... who?

Just tell me, who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football