Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM

796 posts, read 505,354 times

Advertisements

Ok ON TO ARIZONA! I didn't see the highlights of their game vs the Colts but it went into OT and the Cards won. I think it was a low scoring game and Colts put Jimmy Brissett to start as QB (he was recently acquired from Patriots in trade) cuz Tolzien didn't preform well when Colts played Rams Week 1. Cards lost against Lions Week 1 by a lot.

I think Cards lost a couple of steps from a couple of years ago. They reached the NFC Champ game 2 years ago when the Panthers were really good and went to SB. Cards were very good and been good since Bruce Arians came in to coach them a few years back but fell a lil last year.

The Broncos made Panthers offense look bad (and Cam Newton was ballin hard that year) in SB 50 and their D seems to gotten back to that SB caliber status so maybe yesterday's was somewhat of an anomaly cuz of the altitude of Mile High and how good the Broncos D is.

Its been a while since Boys beat Cards and they always played Boys hard. Looking at recent games...I think Romo struggled against them most games and Weeden didn't preform well in 2013-14 when he had to fill in for Romo and lost that game but Boys still ended season 12-4.

Palmer is getting older and it seems to show a lil on the field. I think their D is still pretty good. Would be a good bounce back and good for Dak and Zeke if we can score points in this game and win. Winning big like how Lions beat them would be great for team. Hope our D can pressure Palmer and contain Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald only had 3 targets for 20 something yards against Colts last game. Hopefully Boys can keep it similar. I think their running back David Johnson (who I think is good as Zeke) is still injured.

What you guys think about next week's game? Oh and also...hope we don't get beat in the trenches this week. The performance from o-line and d-lines last week was concerning....but again Broncos D is very stout and still elite and that was too much for Boys o-line to contain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Cowboys shouldn't be concerned about their offense. They'll do fine as long as they're not playing the underrated underreported no-flyzone Superbowl Champ Denver Broncos.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:11 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Very true...Romo had the abilities and can provide an explosive passing game. But a hit or bad sack from Von Miller or any other defensive player could have injured Romo very badly.

Plus Romo is enjoying his new gig and doing very well.
Agreed. I don't remember Romo having any knee surgeries or broken ankles but his injuries to his back and to his shoulders are well documented over the years. Any surgeries on one's back is concerning AFAIC and he's had his collarbone dinged up on more than a few occasions. I'm not aware of any concussions but it wouldn't be a stretch for me to think he's been dinged a time or two. I thought he made the right decision to retire when he did.

Regarding his new gig? He's doing fine, hope it stays that way. I always found Tony to be a "stand up" kind of guy and after he had that press conference where he flat out stated "This is Dak's team" I felt even stronger about him!

Old 09-19-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Media speculation.

If anything, it's just frustration because several players looked like they "quit" yesterday.
Yes.

Probably the comments that are getting the most noticed is Ladanian Tomlinson's statement of Elliot "quitting on his team" after the Chris Harris interception. I was at the game, sat in the south stands. From my vantage point, Elliot ran four steps when he turned around and realized that Harris was going north with the ball. Looking back to his left, I believe he saw Harris was going to be cornered by the Cowboy's offensive line and then Harris cut against the grain. He was already 8 steps behind by the time Harris was heading to the north corner.

Could Elliott hustled back and eventually make the tackle? Perhaps. I haven't seen the tv broadcast on this, will keep checking the NFL Network schedule to view it. And I've heard Elliott was shown by the cameras in the 4th quarter, sitting and sulking. Elliott had a rough day Sunday. Real rough. Calling him a quitter? Come on.

And Tomlinson? Well, it wasn't that many years ago that he was the one sitting on the bench stone faced after his knee injury in that 2008 AFC Championship game against New England. I don't remember the media lambasting him, they probably did say he could have at least stood up and encouraged his players. That's what I would have done. Grab a crutch, lean on it if ya have to and encourage your club! He's not a player now, he's media. But IMO he should have remembered his own situation.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Then, our D isn't SB caliber...expecially when facing more potent offenses.
A subject I want to touch on, haven't seen it mentioned here so far.

It's also a defense that started the game without one of their starting corner backs who was out for the game-that would be Orlando Scandrick. In the second quarter Chidobe Awuzie went down with a strained hamstring and Nolan Carrol suffered a concussion. The Cowboys had no choice but to put in rookies- Jordon Lewis and Anthony Brown to go up against two pro bowl receivers in Demarius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders. Not the best situation to be in.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
the cardinals dont have the defensive line the broncos have, so they are going to have a harder time with the dallas running game. and as long as the dallas running game is going reasonably well, the passing game is going to be there as well.

who will win? i dont know, i am hoping dallas wins though.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
Elliott has a lot of growing up to do. It was disappointing to see him sulking on the sidelines. I know he has a number of things that may be distracting him but he's responsible for all of them. It took several years for Dez to grow up, let's hope Elliott improves on that.
I have a couple of questions about the team this year. What happened to the vaunted O line? I'm thinking the O may stand for overrated. How does this team always manage to make an average QB look like Tom Brady? Is their secondary really that bad? I hope not.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:24 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Elliott has a lot of growing up to do. It was disappointing to see him sulking on the sidelines. I know he has a number of things that may be distracting him but he's responsible for all of them. It took several years for Dez to grow up, let's hope Elliott improves on that.
yes elliot does have some growing up to do, and i think he is going through that right now and he is getting frustrated. it happens to all of us though.

I have a couple of questions about the team this year. What happened to the vaunted O line? I'm thinking the O may stand for overrated. How does this team always manage to make an average QB look like Tom Brady?

remember that denver loaded the box to stop the run, and even the absolute best offensive line cant block seven guys, someone is going to get through. which is why denver did what they did. denver also had good enough defensive backs to frustrate the passing game as well, mostly through not givng prescott the time to go through his progressions and get the ball out.

and before you ask, i think prescott is going to be a top NFL quarterback, but he needs a bit more seasoning for that to happen.

Quote:
Is their secondary really that bad? I hope not.
no it isnt that bad, but it is that green. remember that a number of veterans left for other teams, so we have had to start a lot of first and second year players. and once again, the will be good players, but they need seasoning, especially going up against veteran receivers.

the denver game is going to be overall good for the team, as they can study the game film and see what they did wrong, and make the necessary adjustments to make the team better. last season dallas had a magical run compared to seasons past, but it was kind of too easy for the rookies, and they didnt grow up like they should have through adversity. now they are getting it, and they are having to grow up.

as long as key players stay grounded, like prescott, bryant, beasley, witten, and gathers, and others grow up and step up like elliot and the young DBs, dallas will be just fine.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:36 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I have a couple of questions about the team this year. What happened to the vaunted O line? I'm thinking the O may stand for overrated. How does this team always manage to make an average QB look like Tom Brady?
...what?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:04 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
...what?
Trevor Sieman ring a bell? Last year it was Matt Flynn. Hardly two pro bowl QBs. Look what Kirk Cousins always seems to do against them. Last year their opponent QB ratings were 24th out of 32. Not exactly stellar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football