Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 05:16 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I'd rather see the LAR next week which requires a Philly win tonight. I think except for the Rams interior line we match up real well with them. I also want the Saints to have to play a game 1st ... maybe they get a little beat up.

On Hurns injury. Surgery for a dislocated ankle and multiple fractures (my guess is a tibia / fibula fracture ). I'm kinda upset as this seems to be a Seattle

On Dak's int. I don't put that on him. For one thing it was clear defensive pass interference with the LB going through the receiver. Peter Carroll teaches the handsy pass defense technique saying simply that they aren't going to call all of them.

I'm also upset at the Seattle tackle technique ... it is pronounced that they twist ankles ... did it to Hurns, Beasley, and Zeke. When they did it to Zeke Joe Looney got up in the tacklers face. Seems to be a taught technique.

Good game by the whole team. Even Lenihan called an OK game. Watching the Bears/Eagles now and the Bears are looking like the better team.

It is a tackling technique.. called Hawk Tackling, much safer on the tackler, not so much on the tackled. Its not designed to roll up on the legs/ankles but it often does as evidenced. Its actually being taught at the pee wee and high school levels now. The concept is to aim your outside shoulder at the players hip (keeping your head on the backside, grab and turn (twist) to take them down. The turn or twist is what is causing the roll up on the legs and or ankles.

Was hoping for LA and that's what they got. Some have argued that the Saints are not playing as well in the last month but i would counter, do you want Brees in the Dome or Goff in the colosseum.. seems obvious to me but what do i know!

Of course, i keep hearing that old adage in my head 'be careful what you wish for'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 05:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It is a tackling technique.. called Hawk Tackling, much safer on the tackler, not so much on the tackled. Its not designed to roll up on the legs/ankles but it often does as evidenced. Its actually being taught at the pee wee and high school levels now. The concept is to aim your outside shoulder at the players hip (keeping your head on the backside, grab and turn (twist) to take them down. The turn or twist is what is causing the roll up on the legs and or ankles.

Was hoping for LA and that's what they got. Some have argued that the Saints are not playing as well in the last month but i would counter, do you want Brees in the Dome or Goff in the colosseum.. seems obvious to me but what do i know!

Of course, i keep hearing that old adage in my head 'be careful what you wish for'.

yep, you may just get it.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:32 AM

The Cowboys and Rams met regularly in the Playoffs in the 70s and 80s. 8 times in fact, each winning 4 games.
Nice to see an old rivalry being reborn or at least revisited.

Here is the ticker
'73 in Dallas. Cowboys won 27-16 (Cowboys jumped out to 17-0 lead, Rams pulled back into at 17-16 heading to the 4th. Cowboys score final 10 in the 4th for the win).
'75 in LA (Colisuem) Cowboys won 37-7. (Rams were big favorites in this one but the Cowboys dominated from start to finish as Staubach threw 4 TDs.)
'76 in Dallas. Rams won 14-12 (ugly game, Staubach threw 3 picks as did Hayden for the Rams. Rams scored late to win).
'78 in LA (Colisuem). Cowboys won 28-0 (score was 0-0 at half.. Cowboys dominated second culminated by a Hollywood Henderson 68 yard pick six.
'79 in Dallas. Rams won 21-19 (heart breaking loss. Billy Waddy catches a 50 yard TD pass late in the game from Ferragamo for the win)
'80 in Dallas. Cowboys won 34-13 (Dorsett had 160 rushing, Cowboys outscored Rams 21-0 in second half).
'83 in Dallas. Rams won 24-17 (Vince Ferragamo had 3 TD passes, best game of his short career).
'85 in LA (Anaheim). Rams won 20-0 (Dickerson had at the time a playoff record 248 yards rushing).

I am excited for this matchup... hoping the Cowboys have a good defensive plan for the Rams potent offense and can muster enough points from Dak and Zeke to pull out the win. Regardless, were playing with house money now. IMO!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 PM

796 posts, read 505,034 times
Still gotta chance but the run defense is trash tonight. No answer for CJ Anderson and allowing Gurley and Anderson to run for 100+. Also, offense missed a couple of chances. Poor adjustments by coaching staff as usual.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
Default Divisional Round

This week's result: Cowboys lose to the Rams: 30-22

2018 Final Regular Season Record: (10-6)
2018 Final Division Record: (5-1)

2019 Final Playoff Record: (1-1)

Worst time to have a bad game, defense... the WORST time.

Goodbye Linehan and goodbye 2018 season.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:22 PM

796 posts, read 505,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This week's result: Cowboys lose to the Rams: 30-22

2018 Final Regular Season Record: (10-6)
2018 Final Division Record: (5-1)

2019 Final Playoff Record: (1-1)

Worst time to have a bad game, defense... the WORST time.

Goodbye Linehan and goodbye 2018 season.
I agree....defense wasn't good tonight particularly the run D. Also, offense not getting that 4th and 1 with Elliott plus offense had their chances.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
I agree....defense wasn't good tonight particularly the run D. Also, offense not getting that 4th and 1 with Elliott plus offense had their chances.
I too was surprised that the Rams were able to run the ball like they did.

The Cowboys actually converted most of those 4th downs, except for that one that you mentioned, when it was an 8 point game. Pretty much this game was decided by the Rams converting that 4th and goal and the Cowboys not converting that 4th and 1 (near midfield).

Old 01-13-2019, 06:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
tough game, but then it was always going to be. the rams have a pretty solid running game, and their offensive line controlled the line of scrimmage better than the cowboys defense. part of the issue with that though was the rams had an effective passing game, so that had to be respected as well to avoid giving up a lot of big plays.

a few bright spots though, the cowboys passing game has improved with gallup starting to come into his own thus taking pressure off of cooper, and the tight ends are starting to get more integrated into the offense as well, though not like they should be.

dallas still has the same problem of being too conservative with play calling, and the defense is still spending too much time on the field. too many three and outs for the offense still.

defensively they still need some help at linebacker and in the secondary, mostly good enough players to put fresh legs into the game to help take the pressure off the top players. and they need to be a bit more aggressive on defense as well.

we shall see what happens in the off season to bolster those areas, be it player and or coaching changes. still the team looks promising for the future.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:43 AM

Ugh.. tough game.. I went in feeling as though they were playing with house money but still felt they had a good chance. Never dreamed it would be the defense that would have such a bad game. UGLY only way to put it. 30-22 is not indicative of how bad they played on defense...

Offense, played as expected and like they have all year, a bit inconsistent... i liked how Garrett was constantly taking chances on 4th down.. even on the first drive.. they played well when you consider they never kicked or even attempted a FG.. but 3 TDs against the Rams or any Playoff team at this juncture is not gonna cut it. Of course they had few chances with the Rams holding the ball so long. This appeared to be a case of simply being out coached during the week. The Cowboys did not seem to be ready for the run between the tackles and never adjusted... ugh.

In the end, certainly a positive season... a playoff win, 2 playoffs games will give the team some experience they might need in the future. Now the real test begins, can they back up a playoff season with another playoff season. Garrett has won 3 division titles but the previous 2 have been followed up by missing the playoffs.. both due to injury/suspension... fingers crossed they stay healthy and out of trouble for 2019...

Excited for next season.. if Dak takes another step forward and the defense plays just as well, look out!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:17 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
Score was not indicitive of the game. Rams handled them. If not for a few drops by the Rams this game would have been over at half time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football