Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 1,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
its going to be interesting to see what the cowboys do next season with kellen moore as OC, and john kitna as quarterbacks coach.
Several of us have been watching the games that Tony Romo announces, including the Super Bowl. The man has quite the awareness and football savvy, he always had that, someone suggested that he should be tapped as an offensive coach. He seems to know which plays need to be run, at least from the booth.

As for next season, I am hopeful. If we get Travis Frederick back, and he is healthy enough to get back to form, then the O-Line will be that much better. I think that our two priorities in the draft need to be a tight end and a safety. We need to give Dak another big target and a catching tight end would fit his style of running and slinging. We had a few situations (actually more than a few) where we got burned with the long pass and the open field run because our safety could not cover.

We have franchise player D-Lawrence coming up for free agency and we need him. He is the anchor and best player on that line. I am hoping that he can get Taco Charlton to step up a little by example.
We need to get another receiver, I hate to say it. Cole Beasley is a #3 at best, and Tavon Austin has been a disappointment, and I am worried that Allen Hurns may not be the same, as people don't get back to form after that kind of injury. I like Michael Gallup but I don't think he is ready to be a impact player yet. I would not object to bringing in a free agent WR for a year, someone with experience and a good attitude that can work with the younger guys like Gallup and Wilson and help develop a passing game. This, along with a solid Tight End, would move the team into a more 3_D attack and allow some wins in the postseason.

One thing I will say: In these days of Multi-Million dollar contracts, some money sometimes has to be left on the table. Guys like Lawrence, Elliot, Prescott are deserving of their paychecks, but they have to leave room for the other guys on the team too. If Elliot and Prescott want a Super Bowl ring, then they need to be willing to take a little less so that the offensive line, tight end and receivers can be paid.

But overall I am looking forward to the season. I think we have the tools and talent to repeat as division champions and I hope for the NFC championship game to be in Arlington this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:26 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Simply this on Romo as OC or even a HC. The guy has an awesome gig right now. Home with family 3-4 days a week. Minimal "homework" to do vs an OC or HC. Spend time with uber hot wife and great young family vs what a coach would. Can now keep his golf game sharp. Will make more money as a TV analyst than most coaching gigs.

His only draw into coaching would be a desire to get closer to the game and impact outcomes for a team. So his coaching career depends on his desire. He has stated recently that coaching is not in his near future plans.

On the Cowboys I'll say this. Their reaching the pinnacle is dependant on 2-3 things.

#1 - Keeping starters/stars on the field

#2 - Dak improving his play to become an elite top 5 QB (this is a huge obstacle ... Go Kitna)

#3 - Obviously coaching. Probably the biggest factor. We saw great coaching in the playoffs and SB. We saw teams win in very difficult situations where they were arguably not the best team. The fact that Belichick took away the LAR offense with a pedestrian defense is amazing. How McVay manipulated the Cowboy defense also showed what superior coaching is. Dallas is lacking in this dept.. There are other examples.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:14 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Cowboys have Dak, Zeke, Demarcus, and Amari looking at new deals. Cap management is going to be key.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Dak, Zeke, and Cooper are under contract for season 2019.

Zeke has been rumored to be going to hold out for the multi year big buck contract.

DLaw's deal is (rumored) going to be roughly $126 mil / 6 years w/$60million signing bonus. That's over 10% of the projected cap and to me only elite level QB's deserve that kind of money.

Cowboys cap space is about $45 -$51 million (best in the NFCE and #11 in the NFL) . https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...arryover-2018/

The Colts have about $109 million in cap space (#1) while the Eagles are dead last with $16 million in the hole.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Old 02-26-2019, 07:28 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Default Gregory is gone....probably for good this time

Well, Cowboys problem child Randy Gregory`s NFL career is probably over as of today

Cowboys' Gregory suspended indefinitely by NFL

This is sad. It is a statement not of any team, or rich athletes , but of the poor drug addiction treatment modalities in the nation. Sadly, I see way too many people with drug and mental issues and thanks to our system, recidivism is high. And it affects people from the homeless all the way up to talented athletes , and everyone in between.

Lets hope that Gregory can get the RIGHT help, salvage his life and move on. This is not just hard on his team, but think of his family, and how his chance tomplay the game he likes is now gone. It is a sad situation I would wish on NO ONE not even a player on a rival team. I hope he gets successful help now.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:33 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,563 times
It appears Witten is coming out of retirement to play again

Old 02-28-2019, 12:44 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times
Looking forward to the NFL draft, what would you say are the Cowboys' top 3 or 4 areas of need that you would want to see addressed in the draft?

Old 02-28-2019, 05:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Looking forward to the NFL draft, what would you say are the Cowboys' top 3 or 4 areas of need that you would want to see addressed in the draft?

they need to bolster the offensive and defensive lines, and probably the linebackers and receivers as well.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:42 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
they need to bolster the offensive and defensive lines, and probably the linebackers and receivers as well.
I could see all of those being options. Even with Witten coming back, I really think they should invest an early round pick in a TE, as Witten will be 37 in May and isn't going to be around more than another year or two.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Defensive line (DE and DT) and safety.

Backup RB.

Slot receiver (Hurns is under contract).

OT ... maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football