Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 06:43 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Three plays, two turnover. This team. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:07 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Default National Football League: 2014 Regular Season - Week 10 - Philadelphia Eagles 45, Carolina Panthers 21

The Panthers have wasted too much time doing nothing to lose instead of doing something to win. Owning a dubious 3-6-1 record, it is time to make changes.

First, Cam Newton sits on the bench. Newton is proving he cannot lead the offense, he cannot throw or pass the ball to teammates who can get the ball into the end zone, and he cannot put points on the board. Until he is capable of winning, Derek Anderson can take over. I will gladly draft a competent quarterback in the next draft.

Second, Sean McDermott should be relieved as defensive coordinator and separate involuntarily from the organization. Weak and lazy secondary defenses do not work for the Carolina Panthers. Rehashing the failed concept questions one's ability to coach defense.

Third and lastly, general manger Dave Gettleman needs to bring in better players. I think the trade deadline passed two weeks ago, and Gettleman did nothing to improve the team. That is a negative for the front office.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:17 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Panthers have wasted too much time doing nothing to lose instead of doing something to win. Owning a dubious 3-6-1 record, it is time to make changes.

First, Cam Newton sits on the bench. Newton is proving he cannot lead the offense, he cannot throw or pass the ball to teammates who can get the ball into the end zone, and he cannot put points on the board. Until he is capable of winning, Derek Anderson can take over. I will gladly draft a competent quarterback in the next draft.

Second, Sean McDermott should be relieved as defensive coordinator and separate involuntarily from the organization. Weak and lazy secondary defenses do not work for the Carolina Panthers. Rehashing the failed concept questions one's ability to coach defense.

Third and lastly, general manger Dave Gettleman needs to bring in better players. I think the trade deadline passed two weeks ago, and Gettleman did nothing to improve the team. That is a negative for the front office.
Changes definitely, but I'm not sure how realistic wholesale changes are.

First suggestion of benching Cam. I agree the team should go with Anderson for the best chance to win now. However since the team picked up Cam's option for 2015 and owe him in the vicinity of $15 million next year, it is imperative that we find out if he can pull himself out of this streak and give him every opportunity to prove he is the future at QB for this position for the long term prospect at the QB position. In honesty, the problem for Cam is he is not at 100% and just does not have dependable weapons around him with a embarrassingly bad OLine.

Second suggestion, no argument here. However last years success on D is tied to Kracken more than McDermott as this year has shown. A fierce rush out of him helped hide a below average secondary, now without him, we are exposed back there. Combine that with our Offense unable to move the ball at times our rush D is on the field more causing it to suffer.

Third, Gettleman is really handcuffed by the salary cap situation because he is still cleaning up Hurney's mess, so getting cap-healthy means likely another season of bargain shopping and building through the draft. But, somehow we have to fix that OLine and find a consistent pass rush.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:23 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Changes definitely, but I'm not sure how realistic wholesale changes are.

First suggestion of benching Cam. I agree the team should go with Anderson for the best chance to win now. However since the team picked up Cam's option for 2015 and owe him in the vicinity of $15 million next year, it is imperative that we find out if he can pull himself out of this streak and give him every opportunity to prove he is the future at QB for this position for the long term prospect at the QB position. In honesty, the problem for Cam is he is not at 100% and just does not have dependable weapons around him with a embarrassingly bad OLine.

Second suggestion, no argument here. However last years success on D is tied to Kracken more than McDermott as this year has shown. A fierce rush out of him helped hide a below average secondary, now without him, we are exposed back there. Combine that with our Offense unable to move the ball at times our rush D is on the field more causing it to suffer.

Third, Gettleman is really handcuffed by the salary cap situation because he is still cleaning up Hurney's mess, so getting cap-healthy means likely another season of bargain shopping and building through the draft. But, somehow we have to fix that OLine and find a consistent pass rush.
These are all very good points...let me add also..

I would go with DA the rest of the year. But, this is a BUSINESS first and foremost and there is no way the Panthers are going to get rid of Cam...don't see it happening. Cap hit would be a killer and does not make sense. Fill him w/quality guys and bring in some offensive minded people (Rivera is a defensive guy) and Shula does not run the offense well IMO.

2. Lets be honest and I said this in a post a month or so ago. The loss of the Kraken hurts more than anyone has ever thought. Last year the pass rush was relentless which covered up our bad secondary. This year, they play a soft zone all the time w/no pass rush = swiss cheese....so many holes. Not good unless the D can start putting pressure on the QB. At times Sanchez looked like Johnny Unitas.

3. Regarding the GM, you guys need to understand the cap situation before you comment. Like the poster above said, Gettlemann is cleaning up Hurney's mess. They don't have an unlimited checkbook.

Carolina Panthers Salary Cap | Over the Cap

They need to make a decision on the Running Backs...Jstew and Deangelo are a HUGE DRAIN on the cap #'s right now....would think they would cut Deangelo after this year and relook at JStew's contract to see if he can rework...

I would think after having this season under his belt, Gettlemann will make some major changes going into next year.

4. How about the coaching staff? Do you look at letting Rivera go?

Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
If the Panthers finished with a 4-12 record or worse, it would be common to relieve Ron Rivera as head coach and his involvement in the organization like his predecessors. I do not want to give up on Rivera so soon. I rather have a coach fix his problems and win immediately over a new coach spending two seasons trying to right ship. I say Rivera returns, but he has to make careful adjustments on his staff.

Any coaching changes should occur with the coordinators and their subordinates. Defensive blunders in several games this season should question the future of defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, defensive line coach Eric Washington and secondary/pass defense coordinator Steven Wilks. I am not concerned with the offensive side of the ball as the right coaches appear to be in place. The offensive talent on the field is not in place.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:12 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
First suggestion of benching Cam. I agree the team should go with Anderson for the best chance to win now...However, it is imperative that we find out if he can pull himself out of this streak and give him every opportunity to prove he is the future at QB for this position.. In honesty, the problem for Cam is he is not at 100% and just does not have dependable weapons around him..
Dissenter, I appreciate your assessment.. And I agree that sCam should be given an extended opportunity to improve his game. It's lame & unrealistic to me how quickly young QBs are expected to develop now. But with that said, I believe the problem goes all the way down to the scouting level (& not just in Carolina). Mobile quarterbacks who were great in college are being given too much credit for their potential to succeed in the pros. Remember when Vick was gonna revolutionize the position (?) Too many disappointing, unrealistic expectations with mobile quarterbacking, with or without a good supporting cast around them.. just my take.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:21 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Good points and throwing QBs into the fire right away doesn't work for all of the them. Look at the situation with RGIII in Washington, Kap has struggled with the 49ers this year as they try to have him stay in the pocket more, develop his pocket presence. We have seen QBs not make the jump from college to pros. Would Aaron Rodgers be as good if he didn't have 3 years with the scout team? Cam still needs time, I think.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:40 PM

Saw a stat last night that the top 7-8 teams w the best records in the league all have pocket passers..

No one on the list was quote unquote an "athletic QB"

Find that interesting...

Old 11-11-2014, 04:03 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Cam can be a more athletic version of John Elway, but I question his will to be that kind of QB. Yet this ignoramus coaching staff is unbearable. How can we adequately judge Cam and his progress, with such incompetence around him? Even so, Cam's career might be shot in Carolina, and I think it would be better to trade him.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:25 PM

There is enough there to know Cam has regressed. The Oline was terrible against the Eagles, however Cam has been bad all season and he's had a lot of time to throw the ball...his inaccuracy coupled with drops by receivers equals lousy output.

Look, some teams have bad offensive lines (ie 49ers). You just have to get it done

Look how the game started yesterday. A fumble by Deangelo, interception by Cam, then a punt TD return...how was that the Oline's fault?

I think it's easy to use the line as a scapegoat for their problems..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football