Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times

Advertisements

All I can say is, watch out for him down the road! He is going to be a force for sure, all the negative types will have to eat their words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 AM

166 posts, read 375,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
Newton puts up 400+ yards again. Yes, he had 3 very bad picks, but most rookies do. I would take him on my Colts in a heart beat.
On the Colts he would be 2nd string (3rd if Manning is healthy). Cam is a great athlete. But that matters little (other than attracting idiot fans) - the best QB's are the best decision makers. . .40 time is almost meaningless for QB's. All the Cam backers, though - please put up some names of high achieving quarterbacks with a low football IQ. Can't wait for that list!

Cam Newton will never be even Ryan Fitzpatrick's equal at QB in the NFL. Unfortunately for mr newton, the role of QB in the NFL requires an intellectual prowess and mental fortitude that fate so cruelly deprived him of. But don't feel too sorry for him - apparently he's still got a lot of "believers"!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 AM

780 posts, read 1,541,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRothschild View Post
On the Colts he would be 2nd string (3rd if Manning is healthy). Cam is a great athlete. But that matters little (other than attracting idiot fans) - the best QB's are the best decision makers. . .40 time is almost meaningless for QB's. All the Cam backers, though - please put up some names of high achieving quarterbacks with a low football IQ. Can't wait for that list!

Cam Newton will never be even Ryan Fitzpatrick's equal at QB in the NFL. Unfortunately for mr newton, the role of QB in the NFL requires an intellectual prowess and mental fortitude that fate so cruelly deprived him of. But don't feel too sorry for him - apparently he's still got a lot of "believers"!

You can hang your hat on all the football tests you want. The REAL test is on-field performance. Most who know football recognize this. This is a rookie coming from an option offense in college to a totally difference playbook. If your performance gauge is Fitzpatrick, well, I guess there is not much more to say. Ryan is in his 6th year and is just starting to produce. I would say it is about time. No one thought he would ever amount to much and I still say he will always be a tier 2 or 3 QB.

Lastly, I go back to what Terry Bradshaw once said. Paraphrasing here, but when asked about thest so-called test, he said while they tell you something, they don't tell you how to win. When questioned about his intelligence, he said, All I know is that I can count to 4....that's the number of Super Bowl Rings I have.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Easy on calling fans idiots please! I would say not all QBs are intellectually superior, some are, Aaron Rodgers is over the top sometimes, amusing to listen to him. Look at Brett Favre and his career not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed but he did just fine.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 AM

166 posts, read 375,152 times
Quote:
You can hang your hat on all the football tests you want. The REAL test is on-field performance. Most who know football recognize this. This is a rookie coming from an option offense in college to a totally difference playbook. If your performance gauge is Fitzpatrick, well, I guess there is not much more to say.
That's right. It's a brain-vs-brawn debate nasty, simple as that. Fitz is 2-0 so far and is by any measure a top 10 QB (last year too - look it up), but your interest probably centers on his 40 time, huh. Maybe he beats Manning in a foot race I guess? Never thought about that. haha

Jamarcus Russell can run to beat the band, and has a rocket arm. Yet, Fitzpatrick is the one now being franchise-tagged while russell sits at home waiting for the phone to ring. Now there's a good brain-brawn QB story to warm your heart!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRothschild View Post
That's right. It's a brain-vs-brawn debate nasty, simple as that. Fitz is 2-0 so far and is by any measure a top 10 QB (last year too - look it up), but your interest probably centers on his 40 time, huh. Maybe he beats Manning in a foot race I guess? Never thought about that. haha

Jamarcus Russell can run to beat the band, and has a rocket arm. Yet, Fitzpatrick is the one now being franchise-tagged while russell sits at home waiting for the phone to ring. Now there's a good brain-brawn QB story to warm your heart!
Russell was a bust from the word go. The problems he had at LSU just continued in the NFL so your comparison is flawed at best. Newton has had two record setting games as a ROOKIE. What did Ryan do his first two games? What was the Bills record at that time? I will wait for your answers. Again, Ryan is in his 6TH year...it is about time he started doing something.

Manning is a special talent and is more cerebral than any QB I have seen. I don't care about Newton's 40 time...never was an issue with me, so I am not sure why you are so consumed with this.

As I said before, people who actully know and understand the game recognize the talent he has. Don't believe me, look it up....try doing a little research. It will warm your heart.

As far as the record is concerned, the Bills beat the Chiefs....yawn. Now, yesterday they had a good game against the Raiders. We will see how they fare against the Pats.

Last edited by magnasty; 09-19-2011 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Easy on calling fans idiots please! I would say not all QBs are intellectually superior, some are, Aaron Rodgers is over the top sometimes, amusing to listen to him. Look at Brett Favre and his career not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed but he did just fine.

I agree here. Fans are simply that, fans. Calling them idiots just waters down the debate to juvenile proportions.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
I agree with you. The Panthers have no running game. Newton puts up 400+ yards again. Yes, he had 3 very bad picks, but most rookies do. I would take him on my Colts in a heart beat. Too bad some fans are clueless when it comes to his talent.
Actually most do not. The only other two rookie QBs to get playing time are Andy Dalton and Blaine Gabbert.

Andy Dalton's numbers so far: 66% throwing 3 TDs and 0 Interceptions. Oh and his team has a WIN.

Blaine Gabbert went last game 5 for 6 with zero picks after the starter threw 4 picks.

As for the yardage Newton puts up, look how many passing attempts the guy has. For comparison sakes...
Sanchez - 24 attempts
Rodgers - 30 attempts
Ryan - 28 attempts
Romo - 33 attempts

Newton 46 attempts. Now why wouldn't his yardage be up...

Quote:
Who else do they want? Clausen?
How about a legit 2nd receiver in AJ Green...
How about a legit shutdown corner in Patrick Peterson...

Quote:
You can hang your hat on all the football tests you want. The REAL test is on-field performance
He has showed me in the redzone he is terrible. Bad decisions, missed throws, etc. All on the QB.

Quote:
Newton has had two record setting games as a ROOKIE
Both in LOSSES. The Panthers have a winner on their hands

Old 09-19-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Actually most do not. The only other two rookie QBs to get playing time are Andy Dalton and Blaine Gabbert.

Andy Dalton's numbers so far: 66% throwing 3 TDs and 0 Interceptions. Oh and his team has a WIN.

Blaine Gabbert went last game 5 for 6 with zero picks after the starter threw 4 picks.

As for the yardage Newton puts up, look how many passing attempts the guy has. For comparison sakes...
Sanchez - 24 attempts
Rodgers - 30 attempts
Ryan - 28 attempts
Romo - 33 attempts

Newton 46 attempts. Now why wouldn't his yardage be up...

How about a legit 2nd receiver in AJ Green...
How about a legit shutdown corner in Patrick Peterson...

He has showed me in the redzone he is terrible. Bad decisions, missed throws, etc. All on the QB.

Both in LOSSES. The Panthers have a winner on their hands
Redzone, yes..I agree. How did the other rookies perform in the redzone? Gabbert (Mr. 5 for 6) is not the one to compare. He has no wins and a better running game and has only played mop up.

Not sure about your comments on Green and Peterson when I mention Clausen. So again, would this be your preference?

Both Dalton and Gabbert (Mr. 5 for 6) have a team with a running game, but thanks for proving my point. In fact, Dalton had 41 attempts....and they lost to Denver. BTW, Cam was the leading rusher yesterday too as he was in the first game. You never want your QB to be the leading rusher....no future with this.

The other QBs are vets who should perform better than Newton. How did they perform in their rookie years?

As for Dalton, he has played KC and Denver....the Panthers have played the Cards and GB. Do you want to debate strength of schedule (so far) too? In case you did not know, the Chiefs have scored a whopping 10 points this season. So Dalton has a win...if they lose this weekend and the Panthers win, they will both be 1-2. WOW!!!

So I get this...you and this other guy on the forum think Newton is a bust and would rather have Clausen or Anderson under center. Thank goodness for Rivera and knowing who to put in that gives them the best chance at competing.

Last edited by magnasty; 09-19-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Newton continued to show he has the tools to possibly be an NFL QB. He made rookie mistakes--all rookies do. The debate about his athletic gifts doesnt matter. Can he be a good QB in the NFL? From what we have seen in two games, yes. Will he? We still dont know. It may take more time before we do. But, perhaps he will get six years like Fitzpatrick did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football