Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
It was a joke in reference to last year in which I had mentioned I thought we should have traded down for multiple picks (many holes then and still now) and give Clausen one more year while we wait on Luck.
Waited on Luck? We had the #1 pick and he decided to stay in school. That's an obvious "no thank you" to our franchise.

Why didn't you use a photo of Dalton? Oh yeah, he lost last week too so it wouldn't have that "zing" that you love.

Sho' must be nice to cherry pick QB's from week to week depending on who wins...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
It was a joke in reference to last year in which I had mentioned I thought we should have traded down for multiple picks (many holes then and still now) and give Clausen one more year while we wait on Luck.

It wasn't part of the joke.

Agreed.

I understand the logic of trading down for additional picks if possible, but obtaining Andrew Luck through the draft was a longshot at best. The Panthers had one sure shot to get Luck and he decided to remain in school. If Clausen had remained the starter his second year and Panthers manage to win 3-4 games, the Luck sweepstakes ends up null and void. GM and new coaching staff weren't going to take that chance and get stuck with Clausen. Can you imagine the fanbase backlash if Cam had gotten drafted by another team, put up similar stats and the Panthers manage to win only 3-4 games?...and still missing out on Luck. The organization would've seemed in more disarray than it does right now.

The Panthers could easily be 2-3 or 3-2 with a few prudent coaching decisions. The difference between Cam and Clausen is that Cam actually gives the team a chance to win - with Clausen, Panther's stadium looked like a ghost town after halftime. Fans have short memories and forget how competitive Newton has made this team.

Even the Panthers had drafted Luck, he could've pulled an Eli Manning and demanded to be traded or else, tack on another mess and embarrasing situation for a fragile organization...the Panthers have the right guy, the guy nobody else wanted with a ton of upside if he improves on closing the deal. Everyone knows the NFL stands for (Not For Long) with a bunch of young guns coming up the ranks, so we see what transpires over the next few weeks.

In my opinion, if Chud implements a heftier run-focused strategy versus read options, the Panthers will go on a short winning streak. 1) keeps Cam from getting banged up, he seems injured and a little tentative 2) opens up the passing lanes/threat for Cam, he has a strong arm and relatively accurate. The defense has played much better this year, but the offense is relying on an old hat of tricks - keep the creativity but get back to some traditional football...4th and 1 yard, you have to trust the O line and RBs...difference between 1-4 and 3-2.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 AM

The last 6 games last year the Panthers ran a lot more and had more success. Not sure why we pay these guys in the backfield to be decoys...

Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 AM

527 posts, read 919,264 times
Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton: Dressed for success but not there yet | CharlotteObserver.com

Made by Cameron Newton... now you can start wearing his attitude and aptitude!!!

Belk is releasing MADE Cam Newton men’s apparel line.....

Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Like the article says, "terrible timing"...

If the Panthers were sporting a winning record or even 2-3, this wouldn't be talked about....

Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Lol.... I'm sure Belk and the clothing manufacturer begged Cam to push back the release date the to the win loss record.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
I think the "MADE" brand is a good thing for the city and for Belk.
  1. Belk is a locally owned company who is willing to bet on Cam even when he's down
  2. The kid looks good in those clothes (even with a losing record)
  3. Some have questioned the "motives" of the CO after the "Hello Kitty" cartoon of Cam. This goes a long way towards showing how this community isn't what some folks have accused us of being.
  4. When Cam improves (which he will) Belk can always say "we supported him and never stopped believing". Smart move on the part of Belk.
  5. This has the potential of doing for Belk what Jordan has done for Nike. Again, smart move on the part of Belk by getting in early before the kid starts winning Superbowls. It may not seem this way now, but Cam is a good long term investment. Belk was smart.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think the "MADE" brand is a good thing for the city and for Belk.
  1. Belk is a locally owned company who is willing to bet on Cam even when he's down
  2. The kid looks good in those clothes (even with a losing record)
  3. Some have questioned the "motives" of the CO after the "Hello Kitty" cartoon of Cam. This goes a long way towards showing how this community isn't what some folks have accused us of being.
  4. When Cam improves (which he will) Belk can always say "we supported him and never stopped believing". Smart move on the part of Belk.
  5. This has the potential of doing for Belk what Jordan has done for Nike. Again, smart move on the part of Belk by getting in early before the kid starts winning Superbowls. It may not seem this way now, but Cam is a good long term investment. Belk was smart.
urban, I understand you are an extreme homer w/your predictions (ie "when Cam starts winning superbowls w/the Panthers)

I mean really now....How about you play it low-key and start out hoping for a .500 record?.....

Time will tell if this is a smart move or not...

Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
urban, I understand you are an extreme homer w/your predictions (ie "when Cam starts winning superbowls w/the Panthers)

I mean really now....How about you play it low-key and start out hoping for a .500 record?.....

Time will tell if this is a smart move or not...
I never said he will win Superbowls with the Panthers. I am sure this kid will win one, but I have my doubts that the fickle fans of metro Charlotte actually knows how to support a winner when he is down. Part of being a championship organization is having fans that up-lift the home team even when the home team stinks. Here in Charlotte, there are Charlotteans born and raised who are still diehard Cowboys, Packers, Redskins, and Steelers fans (as if these teams will have a parade through uptown Charlotte after winning it all). If Cam doesn't have success in Charlotte, Charlotte will be watching his success elsewhere. Luckily for Charlotte, we have a locally owned retailer like Belk who has decided to invest with Cam on clothing. When Cam gets better (and if he decides to remain in Charlotte with such fickle fans), we all owe Belk a big thank you.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-09-2012 at 11:22 AM..

Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Part of being a championship organization is having fans that up-lift the home team even when the home team stinks.
Oh please, stop w/the kool-aid already. This team has had 4 winning seasons in 17 years. 1 in the last 5 (soon to be 6)

How many bad seasons is it going to take? And how much money in PSL fees are people going to be gouged before they put a winning product on the field??

So, you just want everything to be koombaya and hunky-dory? Right?

I do blame the fans for supporting a lousy organization. If I were a true fan of the team, I wouldn't so Jerry could get the message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football