Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
That's what I say at the end of every season. Not sure if I can continue to drink the Kool Aid anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I will always be cheering like mad for my Birds, but I think I might have to stop expecting too much. The let downs are maddening.

Who am I kidding, when August comes, I'll be hopeful once more.
I think last year's defense was better but this year's offense was better. I really hate to sound like I'm making excuses but also look at the injuries this team suffered. 14 starters missed at least one game. Going 11-5 while missing that many guys says something. If the FO plays their cards right with the draft and free agency and fewer injuries occur I don't see why this team shouldn't be in the mix for the SB next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
I can remember the little dump passes to Westbrook and how much yardage he gained after the catch. It was madening to watch him tear up a defense. The offense seemed very much one dimensional Sat night. You really miss Brian prob more than you think. IMO

To answer the chearleaders question - you should look for a new QB. I don't think McChunky is consistent enough to take you to the promise land.
The team went 8-2 without him the last 2 years. The only 2 loses being blown calls against Chicago and Dallas. As for McNabb not being consistent enough, keep in mind Elway was revered as an erratic QB who couldn't win the big one the first decade of his careeer. Look at career numbers and playoffs record through Elway's first 11 years and they're very similar to McNabb's. Wait it out until his contract's up and cross that bridge when you get there to decide what to do about the QB situation. You'll notice his success and lack of is almost directly correlative to the playcalling balance. I don't care how good of a QB you are there's no way in hell you can be consistenly good when 80% of the playcalls are passes. No need to make an irrational decision about him after a loss that wasn't his fault.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Interesting contrast between Elway and McNabb. There ARE a few similarities. With Elway,in the first ten years of his career he didn't have a pro bowl supporting cast to go with him on offense. Sammy Winder (bless him) went to two pro bowls as some running backs declined because of injury. But Sammy unfortunately was no Terrell Davis. And when Denver got clocked in the three super bowls the talent disparity was evident, ESPECIALLY in the trenches. He didn't have a great qb percentage as there were the interceptions. His pure athletic ability eventually won those games that normally wouldn't have been won. That and those last minute drives for wins. He also set a record in the NFL for being the most sacked quarterback, being sacked 516 times. He carried that offense on his back the first ten years. As Denver generally was in the 10 to 12 game area in wins, we just were not in the position to latch on to any pro bowl caliber runners and receivers through the draft.

As Elway got to his last few years, of course that changed. He had Shannon Sharpe since 1991, then came Rod Smith, Terrell Davis, and Ed McCaffery. And that great offensive line. In Elway's last couple seasons four to five of his offensive teammates went to pro bowls with him. It is ironic that in John's last season he had his best quarterback rating with 93.0.

I would be real surprised if Donovan McNabb did not stay with the Eagles, but I understand the criticism going here. Good call twista 6002.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-12-2010 at 06:09 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 06:08 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
If the Eagles decide to unload McNabb. What team do you could benefit most by him?

Carolina?
San Francisco?
Minnesota? (after Purple Jesus' annual retirement)

Other thoughts?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Vikings would take him. Maybe sooner than you think. Can never have enough good back-ups.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
If the Eagles decide to unload McNabb. What team do you could benefit most by him?

Carolina?
San Francisco?
Minnesota? (after Purple Jesus' annual retirement)

Other thoughts?
Minnesota is an obvious choice with Childress and they seem to like our sloppy seconds. Another choice may be Arizona. Warner may retire and McNabb's family lives there. That being that said, the chances of McNabb being traded this offseason are slim, the chances of him being traded in conference are even slimmer. Denver comes to mind.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:09 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,107 times
Definitely the Purple People Eaters.....They love Black Irish Quarterbacks......

Old 01-13-2010, 11:36 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Was this getting much airplay in Philly? Eagles Fans Assault Woman in Tony Romo Shirt | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Real nice. I'm sick of these thugs that give Eagles fans a bad name. I mean if you are going to beat someone for wearing a Romo shirt, at least do more than smack them.....sheesh!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:04 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Real nice. I'm sick of these thugs that give Eagles fans a bad name. I mean if you are going to beat someone for wearing a Romo shirt, at least do more than smack them.....sheesh!
I know it isn't representative of the fans, especially here on C-D, but just wondered how it was playing in Philadelphia. Of course it is fodder for sports radio down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football