Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,594,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Yeah man, what gives with the penalties?? I haven't seen many Hawks games this year. Are they undisciplined penalties? i.e. false start, illegal formation, encroachment, etc?
NFL Penalties - 2013 League Penalty Stats - NFL Penalty Stats Tracker - List/Statistics/Data of NFL Penalties - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

I don't have the exact numbers for each penalty type but this should surprise no one... the Seahawks (and Philadelphia) are the top flagged team for defensive PI.

Imagine that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
and good point about homefield....but I dunno man. Wilson's house has become the new Lambeau. I said it earlier in this thread, but I believe Seattle's Century Link Field might be the #1 homefield advantage in american sports.
It's built for noise... I went there for a Kenny Chesney concert in June and it sucked... because the sound just bounced all over the place and all I heard was echoing of what was supposed to be country music. I guess that's why the football games are so loud.

Seattle's divisional round opponent will be either the 4-5-6 seed... they could very well see either SF or Carolina.. teams that match up well with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think the Seahawks are the most talented team in the NFL - when they're not getting hit with drug suspensions.

The problem with Seattle is that they make mental mistakes. They will show up for games unprepared, and they will make bad plays during games in which they're otherwise in control. I have a feeling that this will catch up to them before this season's over. They get up for some games, and when they're on they're on, but I can't help but think that they're going to have a meltdown somewhere - either a first-round game in which they spot a quality team an early lead or a tight game against a physical team that gets blown because of mistakes at key points late in the contest. I don't think they should necessarily feel good about having home field advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, home field is important no matter what team your referring to. It does NOT guarantee a Super Bowl berth but it does make the path easier. Every team wants home field and those who get it, should feel very good about it. Just not so good they forget that they still have to go out and win the game.
Good points. ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,063,218 times
Although the San Francisco 49ers beat the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday, preventing Seattle from clinching the NFC West title, cornerback Richard Sherman was unimpressed, blaming the loss on "questionable calls" by officials in the game.

In comments after the 19-17 loss, Sherman said he expected the Seahawks (11-2) would crush the 49ers (9-4) at Candlestick Park.

"We didn't project it to be this way," Sherman said, according to the 49ers' official website. "We expected to blow them out, but they got the benefit of a few calls tonight throughout the game and that helps you, especially on third down. We will see them again, and it will be a different result."

Sherman was called twice for defensive holding on third-down plays Sunday. The 49ers accepted one of those penalties, which led to a field goal.

The 49ers had Michael Crabtree back in the lineup for Sunday's game. The receiver, who had an Achilles injury, wasn't with San Francisco when it fell 29-3 at Seattle in Week 2.

The Seahawks had won seven in a row since an Oct. 6 loss at Indianapolis. They also had taken the past two meetings with the 49ers, both at home, by outscoring San Francisco 71-16.

Crabtree had four catches for 40 yards Sunday and his presence also helped Anquan Boldin, who was held without a catch in Week 2, finish with six receptions for 93 yards.

Sherman was adamant, however, that Crabtree's presence "didn't make a difference."

"It didn't make a difference at all," he said, according to NFL.com. "The penalties, that is what made the difference today."

Old 12-09-2013, 11:31 AM

6,172 posts, read 3,370,291 times
No matter what.... Seattle will win the home field advantage at the end of the day. They have a two game lead on both SF and NO with three to play. Two home games and a game against a bad Giants team should be enough.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Although the San Francisco 49ers beat the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday, preventing Seattle from clinching the NFC West title, cornerback Richard Sherman was unimpressed, blaming the loss on "questionable calls" by officials in the game.

In comments after the 19-17 loss, Sherman said he expected the Seahawks (11-2) would crush the 49ers (9-4) at Candlestick Park.

"We didn't project it to be this way," Sherman said, according to the 49ers' official website. "We expected to blow them out, but they got the benefit of a few calls tonight throughout the game and that helps you, especially on third down. We will see them again, and it will be a different result."

Sherman was called twice for defensive holding on third-down plays Sunday. The 49ers accepted one of those penalties, which led to a field goal.
Already posted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Richard Sherman blames officials for Seahawks' loss - NFL.com

LOL... ^

He should blame himself and the rest of the team for the stupid penalties... and...

2. The Seahawks' defense is outstanding, but occasionally gives up big rushing plays. Frank Gore's 51-yard run during the final drive was a killer. This is the fourth game this season in which Seattle gave up at least 150 rushing yards, including three of the last six games.

3. San Francisco's rush defense was much better. Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch struggled to find room all afternoon. Seattle's longest run was 11 yards. In a battle of great defenses and conservative offenses, Seattle couldn't keep the chains moving.

4. This is why Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is just an MVP candidate if you ignore Peyton Manning. He threw the ball 25 times; Seattle had six drives of 15 yards or less, with four drives failing to gain one yard. Wilson is outstanding, but the passing attack is only a part of why Seattle is a great team.

San Francisco 49ers get revenge, top Seattle Seahawks - NFL.com

Sherman has gotten away with holding all season... that's why he's such a "great" corner.
Sherman expected to crush the 49ers... that's why his pre-game Ray Lewis speech had him saying the game was nothing but a "glorified practice."

Old 12-09-2013, 01:00 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,063,218 times
Oops. Missed that.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 PM

570 posts, read 719,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think the Seahawks are the most talented team in the NFL - when they're not getting hit with drug suspensions.

The problem with Seattle is that they make mental mistakes. They will show up for games unprepared, and they will make bad plays during games in which they're otherwise in control. I have a feeling that this will catch up to them before this season's over. They get up for some games, and when they're on they're on, but I can't help but think that they're going to have a meltdown somewhere - either a first-round game in which they spot a quality team an early lead or a tight game against a physical team that gets blown because of mistakes at key points late in the contest. I don't think they should necessarily feel good about having home field advantage.
So because they sometimes make dumb mistakes, they shouldn't feel good about playing at home where they haven't lost in 2 years? I don't understand this.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Coffee View Post
So because they sometimes make dumb mistakes, they shouldn't feel good about playing at home where they haven't lost in 2 years? I don't understand this.
Recent history isn't on their side because all but 2 of the #1 seeds dating back 10 years have failed to win it all. That in itself doesn't mean anything.... they should feel just as good playing at home as all the #1 seeds who choked.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 PM

It's funny. Last year when they failed to get a 1 or 2 seed and had to play 3 road games to get to the Super bowl, we got crap for it. Now, they're on track to get the #1 seed and now it's "Well, the #1 seed hasn't exactly been successful over the years and blah blah blah." Maybe they're the 2012 Broncos, maybe they go all the way this year. We'll just see what happens in the playoffs.

Last edited by Iced Coffee; 12-09-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Coffee View Post
It's funny. Last year when they failed to get a 1 or 2 seed and had to play 3 road games to get to the Super bowl, we got crap for it. Now, they're on track to get the number #1 seed and now it's "Well, the #1 seed hasn't exactly been successful over the years and blah blah blah." Maybe they're the 2012 Broncos, maybe they go all the way this year. We'll just see what happens in the playoffs.
That's it... IMHO it's not about seeds... it's about who's hot in January.

2010 Packers, 2011 Giants... 2012 Ravens... 2013 ???

Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 PM

Indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football