Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 05:01 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Back to back years the two teams that played in the Super Bowl will meet in the regular season.
Losing my mind.. here.. i wrote this post in reply to someone mentioning that the NFL used to schedule the 2 SB teams to play each other the following season.. but i don't see where anyone mentioned that.. oh well. @#$!@$%

anyway, just rambling here...

?? Can't remember.. even so, not always.. It probably just felt that way for several years in a row.. I do NOT recall the Cowboys playing their SB opponent the next year during the 70s. In fact, i specifically remember the Cowboys playing the Broncos in the final game of the 1977 season and winning 14-6 (?) and then facing them again a few weeks later in the SB and winning 27-10. I also remember them playing the Steelers that year as well.. Looking at the schedules back then, some years you played 2 teams from the AFC, sometimes it was 3. .doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason. At least not one i can easily decifer..

.. of course that was a 14 game season. But, despite moving to a 16 game season in 1978 the Cowboys did NOT play the Broncos who they had just met in the SB (probably because they had played them the year before). The opened with the Colts (MNF i think) and blew 'em out 38-0. I remember this distinctly because the COLTS were pretty good back then, at least they were up until the 1978 season.. Later the played the Dolphins and Jets..

The Cowboys went to the SB again in 1978 and faced the Steelers (lost, boo)... and then played them again during the regular season the following year (lost, boo).. Staubach got knocked out with a concussion and i always point to this game as the final nail in the coffin (if you will) that persuaded Staubach to hang it up... he retired at the end of the season.. Anyhoot, did the NFL specifically schedule the Cowboys/Steelers SB rematch that year? they had just played them 2 seasons prior in the regular season.. ? i can't figure out the formula for who you might play in the opposing conference back then so who knows.. maybe.. but if so, i reckon it depended some on recent scheduling.. ie. the Cowboys didn't play the Broncos in the 1978 season despite facing them in the SB because they had just played them during the 1977 season? Beats me. but my head hurts now..

But the way the schedule is setup NOW, there simply is NO GUESS work involved. You play your div opp twice (6 games). You rotate and play a specific Div in your conf. (4 games). You rotate and play a specific Div in the Other Conf (4 games). You play the teams (in your conf but not div) that finished in the same position in their div as you did.. (4th place teams play 4th place teams) that you have NOT already played year (2 games). Thats 16 games.. so there is no guarantee you would play the Super Bowl team you played last year.. The Pats will play the Falcons next season in Foxboro.. just by chance not by design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:48 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
It probably will be the first game of the season if the Pats win. Haven't looked at Falcons schedule to see who they play but if they win, first game goes to them and usually an interesting matchup!

Old 01-27-2017, 11:05 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
It probably will be the first game of the season if the Pats win. Haven't looked at Falcons schedule to see who they play but if they win, first game goes to them and usually an interesting matchup!
I agree - if New England wins we'll see Atlanta at New England to open the season. If Atlanta wins, I could see them playing Dallas or Green Bay (they host both teams in 2017). Either way you can be assured the New England vs. Atlanta game next year will be in prime time at some point. Get ready to enjoy some more prime time games next season Falcons fans. I see you guys getting 3 games in prime time next year.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:24 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times
Should be a good game between the two teams, Falcons and Patriots. I'm not sure when the last time the Falcons played in the Super Bowl though.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:33 PM

It was 1998, they did not win, lost to the Broncos, same team Packers lost to the previous year!

Old 01-29-2017, 04:45 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times
Thanks even though IMO the date for that Super Bowl was 1999.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
It was 1998, they did not win, lost to the Broncos, same team Packers lost to the previous year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Thanks even though IMO the date for that Super Bowl was 1999.
It was the Super Bowl after the 1998 season. That is how people normally date NFL games - they use the year the regular season started and was entirely or mostly played.

Seriously, if someone says that the 2015 Carolina Panthers were 15-1, do you object on the basis that their final regular season game was on January 3, 2016, so they were 'really' only 14-1 in 2015?

Old 01-29-2017, 06:11 PM

Thanks, Unset, I thought it is pretty much for the year games were played although Jonathan was asking last time they played in a SB, technically Jan. 1999!

Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
That was a one and done team. The next season.. i think Chandler (QB) was injured in game 1.. Jamal Anderson (RB) was injured in game 2.. they went 5-11.. ugh.

Until recently, the Falcons (inaugural season in 1966) had never had back to back winning seasons.. they went almost 40 years without posting back to back winning seasons.. Seems almost impossible to do.. Mike Smith changed that and they had 5 years of winning seasons in a row.. dropped a bit but now they are back and I think they should be able to stay a playoff contender for the next decade.. or as long as Matty Ice is playing..

Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,362 times
^^^^Yep, they didn't call him Chris Chandelier for no reason. I'm glad that they have a front office that isn't inept and lazy. Blank has done good things with the franchise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football