Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 06:26 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Wow, I would never have of thought, good to see that you know who he is and respect him.

Yup he's definantly remembered well, infact this weekend there is a huge annual motorcyle event in Munro's memory.
That's great to hear! You can be sure there's more than one Yank he's a hero to. Chasing dreams is a noble pursuit!

I talked my local library into adding The World's Fastest Indian DVD to their video loan collection and they had a public showing as well. It's been very well received, even by those with zero interest in motorcycles/racing.

I'm old enough to remember Burt as well as people like Bruce McLaren and Denny Hulme in their prime, great motor-racing history New Zealand has!

Is NFL football very popular there?

Last edited by burdell; 11-25-2008 at 06:54 AM..

Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's great to hear! You can be sure there's more than one Yank he's a hero to. Chasing dreams is a noble pursuit!

I talked my local library into adding The World's Fastest Indian DVD to their video loan collection and they had a public showing as well. It's been very well received, even by those with zero interest in motorcycles/racing.

I'm old enough to remember Burt as well as people like Bruce McLaren and Denny Hulme in their prime, great motor-racing history New Zealand has!

Is NFL football very popular there?
The World's Fastest Indian was a huge hit overhere, a big thing for the city and provience.

A public showing? Wow thats pretty cool to hear, good to see that you talked to your local library.

Lol they are true legends of New Zealand sport, they'ev done us proud.

NFL isn't too popular overhere, you'll get the odd person who takes interest but I do think it seems to be getting more interest every season.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:09 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
After years of misery (with the exception of Parcells, of course), I can finally be excited on Sunday's. Favre got off to a slow start, and my gut reaction was "great, another Jet failure", but he is finally in the zone, and the D looks outstanding.

The AFC is wide open this year. Maybe this will be it for those tricky Jets?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
After years of misery (with the exception of Parcells, of course), I can finally be excited on Sunday's. Favre got off to a slow start, and my gut reaction was "great, another Jet failure", but he is finally in the zone, and the D looks outstanding.

The AFC is wide open this year. Maybe this will be it for those tricky Jets?
Probaly their best year to have a real shot at it.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Probaly their best year to have a real shot at it.
Agreed. Next year we will fight for second once Brady comes back and decimates everyone and everything in his sight.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:52 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Agreed. Next year we will fight for second once Brady comes back and decimates everyone and everything in his sight.

I'm not so sure about that, the Jet defense, especially the pass rush is developing nicely.

Not to take anything away from Favre, he's had a huge impact, both on and off the field to be sure, but the Jets are also very much becoming a TEAM.

Brady, Favre, et al are only individuals, I believe a good TEAM will always trump an individual or two.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Brady, Favre, et al are only individuals, I believe a good TEAM will always trump an individual or two.
I will second the nomination! Anyone who remembers seeing Joe Namath play can attest to the way a quarterback can inspire a team. And the effect of Favre on the current edition of the Jets reminds me of that. But the bottom line remains: you've got to have a team around that quarterback. (Notice how the Patriots didn't just lay down and die without Brady).

Old 11-26-2008, 05:38 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
When the AFL merged with the NFL there were a lot of of old line NFL fans who said the AFL was a bunch of bush leaguers and felt that way for a long time.

Before Super Bowl III Joe Namath sounded off to the NFL press that there were several quarterbacks that were as good or better than Earl Morrall, who started for the Colts and was the NFL MVP in the 1968 season. And that point was UNDERLINED when Namath guaranteed a Jet win, four days before the game itself.

He believed in his teammates, his coaches, and himself. But he believed in the AFL itself. He resented the criticism that it was getting as an afterthought of the merger. He wanted to do something about it.

He damn sure did!

I have great memories of that game and the stars of the Jets; Namath, Boozer, Winston Hill, Don Maynard, George Sauer Jr., Pete Lammons, and Dave Herman on offense; Gerry Philbin, Jim Hudson, John Elliot, Ralph Baker, Johnny Sample, Al Atkinson, and Randy Beverly on defense. What a great fullback Matt Snell was! What a game he had!

I've had, and still will have fond memories of that 1968 Super Bowl Jet club.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I have great memories of that game and the stars of the Jets; Namath, Boozer, Winston Hill, Don Maynard, George Sauer Jr., Pete Lammons, and Dave Herman on offense; Gerry Philbin, Jim Hudson, John Elliot, Ralph Baker, Johnny Sample, Al Atkinson, and Randy Beverly on defense. What a great fullback Matt Snell was!
Just reading those names practically brings a tear to my eyes.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that, the Jet defense, especially the pass rush is developing nicely.

Not to take anything away from Favre, he's had a huge impact, both on and off the field to be sure, but the Jets are also very much becoming a TEAM.

You just need to look at the stats, Farve hasn't had a hell of alot of impact, alot of the TD's seem to come from turnovers and the running game.

Shows you have good defence and have a solid running game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football