Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times

Advertisements

I don't think I would agree with that. Orton has a plenty strong arm capable of making any throw you need to make in the NFL. Orton made more than his share of plays in the passing game as well last year. Remember that even with a non-existent running game, Orton was the league's leading passer for more than half the year.

I don't think it matters though. Someone (probably Arizona) will cough up a 2nd rounder to snag Orton and we'll roll with Tebow and Quinn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 03:34 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I don't think I would agree with that. Orton has a plenty strong arm capable of making any throw you need to make in the NFL. Orton made more than his share of plays in the passing game as well last year. Remember that even with a non-existent running game, Orton was the league's leading passer for more than half the year.

I don't think it matters though. Someone (probably Arizona) will cough up a 2nd rounder to snag Orton and we'll roll with Tebow and Quinn.
Bosco55David is right. The rumor mill has been pounding the drum on that for a while now. I can't pull in 104.3 "The Fan" on line (can't figure out why) but do listen every once in a while to Dave Logan on KOA from 3-6 p.m. He's mentioned it a couple times in the last week. Orton will do ok if this indeed does happen. I like Whisenhunt, their coach. And he will start if this transaction does take place. Keep in mind we have several positions that are question marks on the club.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I like Tebow for his spirit, but I think he's got a ways to go before he's a solid QB. Orton, otoh, is a solid player and can run the team very well. He's never been the weak link in the Bronco's line-up. In fact, I think he's done very well all things considered. He's an accurate passer and seems to read the defense pretty well.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 PM

Orton has done everything he has been asked to do, all things considered. His only cardinal sin is he is the slowest quarterback afoot that we've had since Craig Morton. We've been lucky to have the quarterbacks we've had in regards to mobility with Elway, Plummer, and Cutler. Kyle came to Denver as kind of an afterthought in the trade, the emphasis of this transaction was obviously the two first round draft picks. You don't think he had a bit of a grudge regarding this? I do. It comes right down to the fact that our offensive line needs help. Heck, several areas of the club need help as far as that goes. That's why we were 4-12.

There's several scenarios that can be played out here, I'm sure John Elway has been taking his time to think this thing through.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-25-2011 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
LOL Since Craig Morton is right. Gawd, I still remember watching Craig trying to run. It was painful just to watch! We had him at the end of his career, and there were times I really felt sorry for him -- like in the SB against Dallas. But he did get the team to the super bowl, and I'd be pretty happy with that right now.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 PM

113 posts, read 297,041 times
Is Denver as great as everybody says it is?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMan015 View Post
Is Denver as great as everybody says it is?
The city or the team?

Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
LOL Since Craig Morton is right. Gawd, I still remember watching Craig trying to run. It was painful just to watch! We had him at the end of his career, and there were times I really felt sorry for him -- like in the SB against Dallas. But he did get the team to the super bowl, and I'd be pretty happy with that right now.
Two points to be made here on Craig.

You're right regarding his age. After three years on the bench with Roger Staubuch at quarterback, Morton's career as a Dallas Cowboy quarterback was as a backup only. Naturally he wanted to play somewhere. Back in 1974 it was not so uncommon to trade a player within the division. Still, it was kind of odd of sending him to the New York Giants as it was kind of sending a message that as far as the Cowboys were concerned Morton didn't present a threat to them. Keep in mind that New York didn't have a good club. They hadn't had a winning season in four years and wouldn't be a factor in the NFC east until Bill Parcells came to the club in 1984. Also the Broncos remember a gutsy performance by Morton against the Broncos late that 1976 season, losing to Denver by one point. Some of the Broncos staff took a look, then took a chance.

Back to Craig. Those three years with the Giants left him as a punching bag almost. The Giants from 1974 to 1976 were awful. But the Denver quarterbacking situation was just as bad, as Charlie Johnson retired and Steve Ramsey, who clearly didn't have the backing of the players, basically won the job by default. After the 1976 season, Ramsey went to the Giants in the trade for Morton. The Bronco fans knew what Morton accomplished here. Steve Ramsey on the other hand didn't even make the Giant roster.
Advantage Denver.
More on Craig in a little bit.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-27-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 11:46 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

You're right regarding his age. After three years on the bench with Roger Staubuch at quarterback, Morton's career as a Dallas Cowboy quarterback was as a backup only. Naturally he wanted to play somewhere. Back in 1974 it was not so uncommon to trade a player within the division. Still, it was kind of odd of sending him to the New York Giants as it was kind of sending a message that as far as the Cowboys were concerned Morton didn't present a threat to them. Keep in mind that New York didn't have a good club. They hadn't had a winning season in four years and wouldn't be a factor in the NFC east until Bill Parcells came to the club in 1984. Also the Broncos remember a gutsy performance by Morton against the Broncos late that 1976 season, losing to Denver by one point. Some of the Broncos staff took a look, then took a chance.

Back to Craig. Those three years with the Giants left him as a punching bag almost. The Giants from 1974 to 1976 were awful. But the Denver quarterbacking situation was just as bad, as Charlie Johnson retired and Steve Ramsey, who clearly didn't have the backing of the players, basically won the job by default. After the 1976 season, Ramsey went to the Giants in the trade for Morton. The Bronco fans knew what Morton accomplished here. Steve Ramsey on the other hand didn't even make the Giant roster.
Advantage Denver.
I would like to take a second and just thank you for your participation in this thread, you sure know Bronco football. Your posts are well written and very educational.

Allow me to pose a question to you: What are your impressions of some of our new rookies, and what specific impacts do you think they can bring?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

Advantage Denver.
It's also worth mentioning that Craig Morton nearly spent the entire week leading up to Super Bowl in the hospital. The fact he even played is a testament to his toughness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football