Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

I couldn't believe I heard the TV commentator calling Tebow's delivery good solid mechanics yesterday. All I ever heard was how bad he was from these guys, then they win a few games and they are comparing his mechanics in a favorable way to Tom Brady's. It just proves just what a front running, bandwagon league the NFL has become. The way they bagged on the poor kid before he got a chance to start and now they have no shame in calling him great IN THE SAME SEASON.

I have no opinion on Tebow, I just thought it was really mean what they said about him before he even got a chance, and now I think it's pathetic how over the top hype they have on him.

I watched the game, I like Tebow, I think he is going to be a solid QB but the hype is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 10:38 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I couldn't believe I heard the TV commentator calling Tebow's delivery good solid mechanics yesterday. All I ever heard was how bad he was from these guys, then they win a few games and they are comparing his mechanics in a favorable way to Tom Brady's. It just proves just what a front running, bandwagon league the NFL has become. The way they bagged on the poor kid before he got a chance to start and now they have no shame in calling him great IN THE SAME SEASON.

I have no opinion on Tebow, I just thought it was really mean what they said about him before he even got a chance, and now I think it's pathetic how over the top hype they have on him.

I watched the game, I like Tebow, I think he is going to be a solid QB but the hype is ridiculous.
I think I remember the segment you are referring to. They showed a side-by-side video of Brady and Tebow throwing during warmups. However, the analysts were NOT praising Tebow's form, they were praising the improvement of his form and how he's getting closer to Brady's quicker release. They also made a weird comment about how his back foot lifts off the round and how that relates to "rotating through the ball". I'm no QB but that comment sounded like a bunch of hot air, not to mention Tebow's back foot comes way further off the ground than Brady's. ESPN did a 15 minute segment about Tebow's throwing motion from college through the beginning of this year. The changes are subtle physically, but huge from a mental perspective. I believe that is what they were referring to.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Well, regarding this game, let's start with the bottom line.

1. As long as Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are on the same team, they are never out of the race.
2. You can't turn the ball over that many times in a game, especially on your end of the field.
3. Tom Brady is amongst the top three quarterbacks in the NFL. When you make mistakes, he'll make you pay.

And there are the little things.

1. I felt a little giddy when long snapper Lonnie Paxton one hopped the ball on the center snap on our first PAT.
2. Demarius Thomas needs to sharpen up his passing skills. On second thought, just run the ball around end.
3. When you hold a team and that club punts on fourth down (Quan Cosby!), just get away from the ball. That ball was recovered by the Pats with three seconds left in the half. Cosby would have been better off letting the ball go and letting the clock run out. The Pats had some momentum going into the half, and the three point gift before half time didn't help the Broncos any.

The Patriots showed why they have the AFC's best offense. Their tight ends, Gronkowski and Fernandez, are as good a set of tight ends in the NFL. Those crossing routes Fernandez ran torched the secondary, as he finished with 9 catches for 129 yards. And Wes Welker was, well, Wes Welker. And the forgotten receiver, Chad Johnson (yea, I know his last name), only caught one ball. But it was a 33 yard touchdown. All week long the Broncos heard about Gronkowski the freak of nature, the effective Patriot running game, and Wes Welker still being the best possession receiver in the AFC. Well, Chad is still a good receiver.

Three things about Tom Brady. You have to play keepaway with him. We didn't. You need to bring the pressure at him. We couldn't. You have to match him score for score. Tebow couldn't. Brady has a quick release and makes few mental errors.

Last year the NFL Channel named their "Top 100 Players in the History of the NFL." Tom Brady was named in the top 25.

The Broncos learned a little bit more about themselves Sunday, players and coaches both.
Usually I agree with your comments regarding the game and that is why I don't say much about them. Today is different. Overall Tebow was the much better quarterback yesterday and Denver was able to get a running game going as well as a passing game. If not for the 3 fumbles in the second quarter I am convinced Denver would of won the game easily. I am not sure what happened to the Broncos during the second quarter and they need to look at the film and make sure that does not happen again this year because if they can play like they did in the rest of the game they will do very good in the playoffs.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:58 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
In my opinion New England did not beat Denver but Denver beat Denver. In the second quarter Denver had 3 fumbles that New England translated into 13 points, one touch down and two field goals. On two of the fumbles Denver was driving and could of scored and that would of given Denver the lead going into half time making it a much different game.

One of the things I did like, a lot, was the continued improvement by Tebow. He played a much better game and his passing seemed better. If Denver plays New England in the playoffs I think the outcome will be different.

In New England? You are right, the outcome might be different, New England might win by 40...

Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
In New England? You are right, the outcome might be different, New England might win by 40...
Cute! However by different I mean Denver will go into New England and win, not by a huge margin but a win.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:29 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
I was so pumped after den scored right away, something they needed to do early and often, but getting behind and turning the ball over in the first half and those painful penalties in the second half just killed us. any team would have athose hard time winning with those issues.
Oh, and I love how one guy espn is saying how its not tebow but that the teams he beat weren't that good!

Old 12-19-2011, 11:34 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Cute! However by different I mean Denver will go into New England and win, not by a huge margin but a win.
Oh...I know what you meant......

Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
In my opinion New England did not beat Denver but Denver beat Denver. In the second quarter Denver had 3 fumbles that New England translated into 13 points, one touch down and two field goals. On two of the fumbles Denver was driving and could of scored and that would of given Denver the lead going into half time making it a much different game.

One of the things I did like, a lot, was the continued improvement by Tebow. He played a much better game and his passing seemed better. If Denver plays New England in the playoffs I think the outcome will be different.
Eh, the Broncos needed some major help from the Bears just to squeak by a team that has lost 4 straight and is playing a second string offense. The Patriots are a proven team that can score a ton of points. The Broncos are not in the Pats league as of now. I would guess if the Broncos traveled into Foxborough for a playoff game they would be at least 10 point dogs.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Usually I agree with your comments regarding the game and that is why I don't say much about them. Today is different. Overall Tebow was the much better quarterback yesterday and Denver was able to get a running game going as well as a passing game. If not for the 3 fumbles in the second quarter I am convinced Denver would of won the game easily. I am not sure what happened to the Broncos during the second quarter and they need to look at the film and make sure that does not happen again this year because if they can play like they did in the rest of the game they will do very good in the playoffs.
Tebow played well all things considered. Other than the fumble and the 28 yard loss on the sack late in the game, Tebow played good ball. He did throw a couple that fluttered but threw lots of others that were pretty as you please! I'm just giving credit where credit's due to a great quarterback.

Tebow had passes caught by four players. Brady had passes caught by eight players. The Broncos nickel package is set up to twoblock Gronkowski and Welker, but Brady had six other receivers to work with. Brady audibled a lot, watching on the tube he'd get behind center, look at the formation, back up a second, and call out to his right. And done it lots of times. Fernandez doesn't get the same publicity as Gronkowski, but is every bit as talented.

That was my #1 concern for this game. Gronkowski is 6"5", weighs 250 and a tad of change, and is a LOAD! Gronk only nabbed four, but Fernandez crossed us up (literally-on cross patterns). He had nine. Their tight ends are play makers. Ours aren't. In fact no Bronco tight ends made a reception. And speaking of no receptions Eric Decker almost got shut out, being held to one catch for 22 yards. And the Patriots offensive line done a good job protecting Brady, for the most part. That sack that Elvis Dumervil got though, whew, that was a beauty!

One thing that certainly didn't help was when Willis McGahee went down with his leg injury in the second quarter. Sad, because Willis had 70 yards in just over a quarter. Lance Ball did have a good game, except for that fumble that led to a Pats TD. Another item to consider is Brian Dawkins sitting out the game with the neck injury he got last Sunday. His field leadership is huge.

The bottom line is what I said earlier-with Tom Brady the Broncos had to play keep-a-way. They got 451 yards of total offense and didn't turn the ball over. We turned it over three times, which is why we lost by three scores.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-19-2011 at 05:08 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 01:09 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Usually I agree with your comments regarding the game and that is why I don't say much about them.
I don't say much about yours because I flat out disagree with much of them. I'm with you about Tebow's improvement in some phases and mechanics of the game but he went back to throwing some wounded ducks again... despite the fact that some of those wounded ducks still hit the target.

Your cheerleading about how the Broncos are definitely going to the playoffs and will definitely beat the Patriots the next time is where I part.

I also part on the fact that the Patriots beat the Broncos yesterday. The Broncos made it easier for Brady and company to not only win, but to have an 18 point cushion.

It was a bad loss for the Broncos yesterday. They showed their ass... on all phases of the game. But... it started off looking like they had a good plan. Why did they only bring 3? The only effective way to beat Brady is to get in his face early and often. Why have the Broncos been able to pressure the Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs, Jets, Bears, and Vikings, but not the Patriots? Because the weather wasn't good enough? Was the home-cookin' not good enough?

No. The Broncos sucked and the Patriots ruled. I hope the Broncos, from top to bottom, learned something from that game and put every single ounce of their focus on the Buffalo Bills. That's the only thing they need to think about. How do they beat the Buffalo Bills? At least in this next game, they won't have 70,000+ fans to atone for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football