Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 04:51 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,440,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
It's not a surprise that this one would feel worse.

Denver had a worse record (11-5) than the 49ers (14-2) and played unimpressively in the playoffs that year. SF came in as a double-digit favorite, and nobody expected Denver to win.

This year Denver had a record setting offense, led by one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. They were a slight favorite, and got absolutely destroyed.
The destruction was the shock. It has people talking now. Maybe over time cooler minds will think back to the signs that should have told them. But you talk superlatives about Peyton all year, you sorta get stuck in a narrative that wasn't great preparation for actually seeing him against a truly physical defense. Again, a lot of the "blowout" part was just Seattle hurting Denver with Denver's own mistakes. I think that might always have been a caveat. "Could be a close game, but if Denver makes mistakes, then the score could be anything".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM

6,092 posts, read 3,317,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Scuse me. The QB calls the snap. How can the QB be "out of sync"?
Yes in most cases that is true, but on others it a timing thing to throw off the defense. Watch the replay and you will see the whole offensive line moves at the same time. It looked to me like Manning was moving toward the line possibly to change the play...The fact is he was flagged for illegal motion because he was moving forward when the ball was snapped.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:37 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,516,271 times
Manning's history is that if he stays on the rails from the beginning - he's like a high speed train that can't be stopped. If you de-rail him early by hitting him hard he doesn't recover. He's proved that over and over and over again. Also, Carroll was prepared for anything Manning had - meaning they dissected his play and patterns to the point they could predict with a high degree of accuracy where the ball was going. That's why The Seahawks seem to "swarm" on every passing play.

The area of the statue QB is in flux and the hybrid QB/RB is the future.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Yes in most cases that is true, but on others it a timing thing to throw off the defense. Watch the replay and you will see the whole offensive line moves at the same time. It looked to me like Manning was moving toward the line possibly to change the play...The fact is he was flagged for illegal motion because he was moving forward when the ball was snapped.
Maybe they see the ball move out of their peripheral vision? Maybe it was really illegal procedure by the offensive line.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,240,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
It's not a surprise that this one would feel worse.

Denver had a worse record (11-5) than the 49ers (14-2) and played unimpressively in the playoffs that year. SF came in as a double-digit favorite, and nobody expected Denver to win.

This year Denver had a record setting offense, led by one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. They were a slight favorite, and got absolutely destroyed.
OK..one disagreement only, back in 1990 you had the "greatest QB that ever lived". I think thats clearer than ever today. Remember, today, with all the "don't touch the QB rules" and all the new rules that favor the offense, I think Elway would have broken every NFL record since the pointy ball was invented.

Peyton had, fair or not, a rep for choking in the playoffs, so why would anybody be surprised when history repeated?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,481,952 times
Default 2014 Draft Wishlist.

The super bowl is over, and we did not get a ring... this hurts, but it is time to look forward. We are going back next year, and we have to be ready to win. The draft is an excellent way to revamp a team especially if you can get some steals.

So what is your wishlist in the draft? What 6-7 players do you think the Broncos need to pick up?

Here is mine:

1st round- Kyle Van Noy OLB - Brigham Young.

The Supreme Kyle Van Noy Highlights - YouTube

2nd round- Trent Murphy DE - Stanford

Trent Murphy Highlight - YouTube

3rd round- Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB - Nebraska

The Supreme Stanley Jean-Baptiste Highlights - YouTube

4th round- Christian Jones ILB - Florida State

Official Highlights | FSU LB Christian Jones - YouTube

5th round - James White RB - Wisconsin

James White Highlights - YouTube

6th round - Brandon Linder OG - Miami

Offensive MVP: Brandon Linder - YouTube

7th round- Tevin Reese WR - Baylor

Ultimate Tevin Reese Highlights | HD - YouTube

Feel free to comment, and encouraged to come up with your own picks. I am deciding not to focus on the loss and instead I am focusing on next year's super bowl win.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,957,195 times
Quote:
Why do people on this forum post who have absolutely no knowledge of football.
Why don't you tell us? The next meaningful football post you make will be your first.

Quote:
By the time the Broncos reload, Manning will be too old to lead them any where.
Case in point. Who in their right minds think that Denver needs to "reload"?

Old 02-05-2014, 11:04 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,957,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
The super bowl is over, and we did not get a ring... this hurts, but it is time to look forward. We are going back next year, and we have to be ready to win. The draft is an excellent way to revamp a team especially if you can get some steals.

So what is your wishlist in the draft? What 6-7 players do you think the Broncos need to pick up?

Here is mine:

Feel free to comment, and encouraged to come up with your own picks. I am deciding not to focus on the loss and instead I am focusing on next year's super bowl win.
My thoughts:

- Can't spend a high draft pick on an OLB. We already have one elite player (Miller) on the strong side and two very good (Woodyard, Trevathan) on the weak side. We will probably be looking to move Woodyard as it is. A good MLB would be a welcomed addition though. I'd love to have C.J Mosley but it would take a miracle of epic proportions for him to fall to us.

- I see Murphy as more of a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE. Regardless, we have good, established players at DE already. Wolfe, Jackson, Phillips, Mincey, Ayers (if we re-sign him) are all good players and Quanterous Smith should be healthy and ready to go next year.

- Yes please on Jean-Baptiste. Would be excellent at either CB or FS.

- Not a huge fan of Christian Jones. Great athlete but he appears to be lacking in the instincts and intangibles department. I'd rather have Shayne Skov or Chris Borland, who appear to be better football players than athletes.

- Could easily get on board with your last three picks. I'm concerned about Reese's slight stature and tendency to drop passes, but White would make a very good all purpose back if we can't re-sign Moreno.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:07 PM

Not only the draft. Wes Welker didn't come from the draft. Peyton Manning didn't. This is why I believe in organizations. This is a time of the year when player personnel can become a really big plus. They can catalogue whatever is available out there, determine its value, and offer a contract at that value to lure veterans that can really help the team. I hope that Denver now realizes it has not done enough of that, it has kinda hoped Peyton to work miracles. They should face up to the fact that a QB is not a substitute for a solid team throughout the roster. And the second string is hugely important. And some special teams players can win the hardest games.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM

8,591 posts, read 14,749,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The area of the statue QB is in flux and the hybrid QB/RB is the future.
Scrambling QBs have been a part of the NFL going back to Tarkenton in the 70s. As for the read-option QB, I still say it's a fad. Guys like Kaepernick and Wilson are expendable for now because they aren't making $10 million a year (yet). Once they're off their rookie deals, you're gonna see them running less and throwing more because a) the NFL is by and large a passing league and b) replacing them becomes prohibitively expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football