Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 04:11 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Don't waste your time digging out the album.
Wikipedia got it all wrong.
It was Louisiana, not New Hampshire.
And it was crocodiles, not alligators.
And who says City Data isn't a valuable source of information!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 04:18 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
I didn't do it, but someone DID edit Kubiak's wikipedia page earlier today and changed it to show him as the new manager of the Toronto Blue Jays.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Sorry to have been absent for the last few days, Broncos fans. I know it has been a whirlwind time for us but some personal issues pulled me away for awhile.

Here are my thoughts:

- I was relieved to hear that Manning was playing with an injury for the last month. I know there had been significant speculation in the media in regard to this, but it's been confirmed now. I was thankful to hear that it was an injury and not a rapid decline thanks to father time. Also, Manning deserves an enormous amount of respect for playing through that injury.

- Firing John Fox was absolutely the right move. John Elway said it best when he said John Fox was the right man "at the time". Fox brought back respectability to a team that had dealt with the debacles of the end of the Shanahan and McDaniels eras. The Broncos were in disarray at that time and Fox built a winner that went to a Super Bowl. For that he should be commended and respected by all Bronco fans.

That said, John Fox is a soft, conservative players coach and that approach was never going to win a Super Bowl in the NFL. The "not too shabby" comment after getting obliterated by Seattle in the Super Bowl is extremely telling about his approach to the game and overall philosophy. That's not good enough for John Elway or our fanbase so Elway made the decision to go in another direction, and for that, he should be commended.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Sorry to have been absent for the last few days, Broncos fans. I know it has been a whirlwind time for us but some personal issues pulled me away for awhile.

Here are my thoughts:

- I was relieved to hear that Manning was playing with an injury for the last month. I know there had been significant speculation in the media in regard to this, but it's been confirmed now. I was thankful to hear that it was an injury and not a rapid decline thanks to father time. Also, Manning deserves an enormous amount of respect for playing through that injury.

- Firing John Fox was absolutely the right move. John Elway said it best when he said John Fox was the right man "at the time". Fox brought back respectability to a team that had dealt with the debacles of the end of the Shanahan and McDaniels eras. The Broncos were in disarray at that time and Fox built a winner that went to a Super Bowl. For that he should be commended and respected by all Bronco fans.

That said, John Fox is a soft, conservative players coach and that approach was never going to win a Super Bowl in the NFL. The "not too shabby" comment after getting obliterated by Seattle in the Super Bowl is extremely telling about his approach to the game and overall philosophy. That's not good enough for John Elway or our fanbase so Elway made the decision to go in another direction, and for that, he should be commended.
Good to have ya back sir! Great comments as always.

I remember that "not too shabby comment." There was another comment that Fox had made after that debacle that I looked at closely. "We underestimated the crowd noise factor." Apparently Fox never coached a game for Carolina either at the new stadium or at the Kingdome. He should have. John Elway certainly knows about the place as he played in that building 16 times. Seattle's "12th Man" has been part of their Ring Of fame for a couple decades. I've never been to their new stadium but I did go to one game at the Kingdome. And that stadium was every bit as loud as Mile High Stadium, Arrowhead Stadium, or any other domed stadium. Fact.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-16-2015 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-16-2015, 01:36 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Well that was fast!

Report: Ex-Broncos head coach John Fox hired by Chicago Bears - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Old 01-16-2015, 01:41 PM

Feel sorry for Bears fans. Fox is a great guy, but some of his crappy game-planning and in-game execution make you wanna pull your hair out.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:24 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Feel sorry for Bears fans. Fox is a great guy, but some of his crappy game-planning and in-game execution make you wanna pull your hair out.
He took two teams to the Super Bowl and came close to winning one. He even won a division title with Tebow (granted, the AFC West was weak that year). He can't be all that bad.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:09 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
He took two teams to the Super Bowl and came close to winning one. He even won a division title with Tebow (granted, the AFC West was weak that year). He can't be all that bad.
Fox was the right guy for the Broncos at the time they needed him. He took a 4-12 team that had lost a lot of credibility with its fans and the league as a whole and put it back on the map of football relevancy. I think the Broncos with Fox reached their high water mark and it was time to take a chance and see if someone else can get the team to the next level.

Meanwhile I understand Fox is heading to Chicago to coach the Bears. He may be just the right guy for the Bears at this moment to begin restoring that team to contender status. He's got his work cut out for him.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 AM

Adam Schefter reported this morning that Gary Kubiak will accept the Broncos head coaching position if it's offered to him. Should know on Tuesday if it's a done deal.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Adam Schefter reported this morning that Gary Kubiak will accept the Broncos head coaching position if it's offered to him. Should know on Tuesday if it's a done deal.
Ya beat me to it!! Heh, that's what I get for sleeping in this morning!

Yes, googled in Gary Kubiak a bit ago and the news sources are stacking up. Fortunately it's Adam Schefter who's calling the prediction here, he was a long time reporter for the Denver Post before he went to the NFL Channel, then ESPN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football