Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 06:47 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,014,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It may be time to start getting to the graduate level of the playbook so we're not doing it for the first time in the playoffs.
The problem with that unfortunately is that Brock has not shown he has a good grasp of the base offense. Watching the All-22 coach's film of the Chargers, Brock left a lot of yards and even some points on the field because he was missing reads. The thing with Kubiak's passing offense is that it is predicated on a progressive set of predetermined reads within the passing plays. Often, that first read is the X receiver (DT) on a deep post or deep in, then out to the Z receiver (Sanders) on a comeback of curl, tight end and then usually the RB as a safety valve. They routes are schemed so that each player should be coming open in that progression.

What I saw in the Chargers game was Brock checking off his main reads before they had a chance to get open, and other times staying on reads too long and ending up missing the later reads when they came open. Until he can get that timing down in the base offense, throwing more at him is just going to make the problem worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:06 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,835,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
The problem with that unfortunately is that Brock has not shown he has a good grasp of the base offense. Watching the All-22 coach's film of the Chargers, Brock left a lot of yards and even some points on the field because he was missing reads. The thing with Kubiak's passing offense is that it is predicated on a progressive set of predetermined reads within the passing plays. Often, that first read is the X receiver (DT) on a deep post or deep in, then out to the Z receiver (Sanders) on a comeback of curl, tight end and then usually the RB as a safety valve. They routes are schemed so that each player should be coming open in that progression.

What I saw in the Chargers game was Brock checking off his main reads before they had a chance to get open, and other times staying on reads too long and ending up missing the later reads when they came open. Until he can get that timing down in the base offense, throwing more at him is just going to make the problem worse.
How did you get the All-22 film? Or is this just based off of the talkshows and such on tv? I love seeing that stuff, but I don't like having to listen to the hosts microanalyze it all. I wish we could see it during the game on TV.

I feel like Brock's decision-making has been ok with the occasional flash of excellence. He holds onto the ball a little too much and sometimes stares down his receivers, but I think that's about on par with his experience level. He's proven himself a good learner with the ability to adapt (more than the offensive coaches, anyway...)

The great thing about him is that he rarely gives the ball away. Most young guns commit a lot of turnovers. In the Raiders game he dropped back at least 56 times and had a single costly fumble, no interceptions though. That's a huge plus for a young QB in my opinion.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:04 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,962,891 times
@ McBain, yes, there are some areas where he could improve. I felt he held onto the ball too long against the Raiders. With our O-line a fraction of a second is too long though. But the Broncos did get pretty aggressive against the Patriots and the result was 30 points and a win. So it took into OT to get them to 30. Big deal.

Against most offenses, and with the Broncos defense, 24 points will be enough to win just about every week. And it's not asking too much for an offense with the talent the Broncos have to put up 24 this week or the following two weeks. I'll make an exception for the Bears game; it was Brock's first start. He was great against the Pats, so there's no need to critique. They had the game in hand and went conservative to prevent a mistake from losing it for them against the Chargers. Fair enough but I never like to see the team shut out for a complete half. That brings us to this last game. Far too conservative. I'm not sure if Kubiak under estimated the Raiders or if he just genuinely believed they could play a vanilla game plan without paying for it. (I guess that's underestimating the Raiders.) Whatever the case, it was an awful game plan.

To be fair, as bad as the O-line was, as bad as the run game was, as bad as the WRs were, and even with a QB making just his 4th NFL start, the Broncos were a drop here or there away from winning that game. DT's goal line drop comes to mind. Vern Davis' drop on 4th and 5 is another. He catches that and the team is at a minimum in FG range. He catches it and makes a move and the Broncos are potentially up 19-15. So despite this being the worst regular season performance by a Broncos offense since the Tebow days, they were still very close to winning this game. And the key drops were unforced errors: It's not like the Raiders beat the Broncos on some of these plays. They just got a few reprieves here and there.

It's still hard to see the Broncos going into Pittsburgh and beating the Steelers this week. But I'm not conceding a loss before it happens. Maybe the Raiders game will serve as a wake up call for the offense. I hope they come out playing like they have something to prove. Because they do.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:07 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,014,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
How did you get the All-22 film? Or is this just based off of the talkshows and such on tv? I love seeing that stuff, but I don't like having to listen to the hosts microanalyze it all. I wish we could see it during the game on TV.

I feel like Brock's decision-making has been ok with the occasional flash of excellence. He holds onto the ball a little too much and sometimes stares down his receivers, but I think that's about on par with his experience level. He's proven himself a good learner with the ability to adapt (more than the offensive coaches, anyway...)

The great thing about him is that he rarely gives the ball away. Most young guns commit a lot of turnovers. In the Raiders game he dropped back at least 56 times and had a single costly fumble, no interceptions though. That's a huge plus for a young QB in my opinion.
Coaches' film is one of the perks of NFL GamePass.

Coaches Film - Watch "All-22" video footage of every play! - NFL.com

Old 12-19-2015, 07:10 PM

18,196 posts, read 25,766,239 times
Looking ahead to tomorrow's game;

The defense will be busy tomorrow. Pittsburgh is 4th in the AFC in scoring with 311 points and leads the conference in total offense, averaging 409.1 yards per game. Getting DeMarcus back helped the defense Sunday but lots of small injuries with the defense in general, particularly the secondary. But they'll be ready. This defense is something special, several reserves IMO could start for other NFL clubs. Broncos rank first in both conferences in total defense.

104.3 "The Fan" has been busy with commentary regarding the subject of dropped passes, former Broncos Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe certainly have been vocal on the subject.

Pittsburgh opened as a 6 1/2 point pick, the line is now 7.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-19-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 05:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times
Whatever is being said at halftime lately needs to stop.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:10 PM

8,602 posts, read 14,823,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Whatever is being said at halftime lately needs to stop.
Kubiak and Co. have been absolutely terrible at making halftime adjustments lately.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:59 PM

806 posts, read 955,020 times
Peyton can not return fast enough.

Back to the bench where you belong.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-22-2015 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: bypassing the language filter

Old 12-20-2015, 06:07 PM

8,602 posts, read 14,823,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post

Broncos ran Manning's offense in the second half and got shut out in the second half for the third week in a row. Osweiler is the least of their worries. I'm more concerned with a coaching staff that doesn't seem to be able to make halftime adjustments. Peyton is done in Denver.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-22-2015 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: one word delete in quote

Old 12-20-2015, 06:11 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,668,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post

Nah, you can't hang that on Ossweiler.

Where was the D in the second half?
The Steelers made half-time adjustments. Apparently, that is a foreign concept around the Bronco locker room, these days.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-22-2015 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football