Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 03:34 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times

Advertisements

Denver has underestimated the Atlanta Falcons. Falcons 13, Broncos 3 at the half.

Julio Jones has no catches so far but the Falcons backs are picking up the slack.

Falcons have three d-backs out, Broncos are not taking advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 04:35 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Denver has underestimated the Atlanta Falcons. Falcons 13, Broncos 3 at the half.

Julio Jones has no catches so far but the Falcons backs are picking up the slack.

Falcons have three d-backs out, Broncos are not taking advantage.
I don't know if that's it or if the Broncos offense just stumbled with a rookie QB starting. The defense has actually played well. Well enough to win, even. As of now they've held the Falcons to 23 points, their lowest of the season. It's just the offense can't seem to take advantages of that porous Falcons defense. Even a bottom-feeder defense has a good game once or twice a season and going against a rookie QB may have been just what this Falcons D needed.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:55 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Broncos O line was the whole story today. Obviously Lynch needs to learn how to throw the ball away instead of taking the sack or the three yard rush.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:11 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times
That is a shocking loss by the Broncos.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:34 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
That is a shocking loss by the Broncos.
Shocking to who exactly? Not to people who know a thing or two about the Broncos and Falcons. This was always going to be hard with Paxton Lynch starting and with Green and Stephenson still out. With the latter two out, and the sorry blocking by Sambrailo and Schofield, the run game was going to be an issue. Today Lynch didn't have a lot of time, but he wasn't quick to throw either. He still needs time to learn. Siemian, Green and Stephenson need to be back for the Chargers game.

The defense did ok considering the high-powered Falcons offense, plus the Falcons have quite a good O-line which explained the lack of pass rush for almost the entire first half. The linebackers got torched, though. Still missing Malik Jackson as a run stopper.

I saw this as a potential 'upset' from the get-go and it's a non-conference game so, if you have to lose, this is a better loss to have.

Tell me again what's shocking?

Side note -- as I typed this, the Chargers botched their FG attempt and the Raiders may end up tied at the top of the division now.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Shocking to who exactly? Not to people who know a thing or two about the Broncos and Falcons. This was always going to be hard with Paxton Lynch starting and with Green and Stephenson still out. With the latter two out, and the sorry blocking by Sambrailo and Schofield, the run game was going to be an issue. Today Lynch didn't have a lot of time, but he wasn't quick to throw either. He still needs time to learn. Siemian, Green and Stephenson need to be back for the Chargers game.
Exactly. If anything in the NFL surprises you then you probably haven't been watching very long. It's one of the things I love most about the NFL: ANYTHING can happen. Sometimes that works against you, like today. The Falcons caught a break by facing our rookie, but the Broncos caught a break by facing a bottom-tier and depleted Falcons defense. The Falcons capitalized, the Broncos didn't.

Quote:
The defense did ok considering the high-powered Falcons offense, plus the Falcons have quite a good O-line which explained the lack of pass rush for almost the entire first half. The linebackers got torched, though. Still missing Malik Jackson as a run stopper.
I felt the defense did a great job, especially since they didn't get much help from the offense.

Quote:
I saw this as a potential 'upset' from the get-go and it's a non-conference game so, if you have to lose, this is a better loss to have.
I completely agree. This goes in the books as a non conference loss. I'd rather the team lose this one than win it then go on the road and lose that game against the Chargers on a short week. This loss I imagine will really bring the team renewed focus. The Chargers are not great on defense, but they are a feisty team that can score big. It'll take a better performance by the offense to win that one. And that one is by far the more important of the two games.

Quote:
Tell me again what's shocking?

Side note -- as I typed this, the Chargers botched their FG attempt and the Raiders may end up tied at the top of the division now.
Yeah, I can't help but laugh. I hope they have a few plays like that on Thursday!

Old 10-09-2016, 05:59 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I felt the defense did a great job, especially since they didn't get much help from the offense.
There was only so much they could do without the O doing anything. And holding an offense like Atlanta's to 23 is pretty good. I was angry about the lack of pass rush early on but they adjusted and started to get to Ryan more. And I didn't realize at the time how good Atlanta's line was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I completely agree. This goes in the books as a non conference loss. I'd rather the team lose this one than win it then go on the road and lose that game against the Chargers on a short week. This loss I imagine will really bring the team renewed focus. The Chargers are not great on defense, but they are a feisty team that can score big. It'll take a better performance by the offense to win that one. And that one is by far the more important of the two games.
The coaches clearly agree with us, since I think all three of Siemian*, Green and Stephenson probably could have played, but were kept out since it's a short week and the Chargers game was the priority.

If the Chargers continue to play like total boneheads in the 4th quarter, I guess I am not too concerned, unless Denver is down big. It's like the Giants last year!

*I read on MHR somewhere that Siemian is supposed to be out for another week? I don't remember seeing Kubiak confirm that, however.

Other notes on today's games:
-If the Vikings aren't ranked #1 in the power rankings, then sportswriters need to wise up. I am amazed how they adjusted to Bridgewater and AP going down.
-The Rams aren't as good as their record was and that showed. Gurley did better for me in fantasy this week, fortunately. Rex Ryan gets to keep his job for a bit longer after these last two weeks (was unsure if it was ever really in jeopardy but it should have been).
-So glad I get to listen to sportswriters gush over Brady/the Pats for another week after they beat the worst team in the league.
-My Giants fan-self thanks the football gods the Eagles finally lost!

Old 10-09-2016, 07:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Broncos coach Gary Kubiak taken to hospital by ambulance with what team said is flu-like symptoms, according to 9NEWS Broncos Insider Mike Klis.
Hope Kubiak is ok.

Scary when remembering his his 2013 medical scare.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hope Kubiak is ok.

Scary when remembering his his 2013 medical scare.
No joke! Hope he's okay!

Old 10-09-2016, 07:15 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Speedy recovery to Coach Kubiak. It's a tough job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football