Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 07:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times

Advertisements

Happy for Keenum to cash in, handled himself with class his whole time here and he saved the season for the Vikings. Had the franchise tag been applied, he was scheduled to make $24M/yr and he probably wasn't worth that to the team. He did have a propensity of lofting air balls towards the right sideline that was a bit disconcerting throughout his stay.The speculation for weeks was that he would probably sign for around $20M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 10:42 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
IMO, the Broncos got themselves an excellent guy in Keenum. He should be a reliable and technically sound aquisition. And, of course, Elway has officially begun the QB domino effect, and he's done so by not using the dreaded "R" word! However, that #7 that Keenum's been sporting might be a concern!
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Keenum may have to go to #8 - which means the Broncos will have gotten their #8 all along!

Old 03-13-2018, 09:07 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Congrats to my man Keenum... hopefully he will continue his solid play.

Keenum has had #7 and #17. My guess would be #11 if no one has it. #17 if Osweilier is not there.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:00 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
I am mild on the Keenum signing. I never trust these guys who suddenly have one good season out of nowhere. I wasn't interested in Ryan Fitzpatrick a couple years ago for the same reason. Still, there's no denying Keenum is a huge upgrade over any of the 3 QBs we had on the field in 2017. Just the ability to take care of the ball is a major force multiplier and tremendous improvement. I don't need the 2nd coming of the 2013 offense, but I'd certainly like to see something that functions and can put up ~24 points any given week.

I am reading the Broncos will still attend the pro days for Rosen and Mayfield. While this makes a lot of sense I can't help but wonder if it's posturing. I don't like the idea of using the #5 pick on a QB now that we have a viable option available. These top 10 picks don't come around that often for the Broncos and if they stay at #5 whoever gets picked needs to be an immediate contributer. I reached a point where I favored drafting a QB who was the long term solution and having him start right away. I am not a big fan of drafting at #5 only to have him sit, or have him start and having an $18 million backup holding a clipboard. It makes me wonder a couple things, some of which will be answered once we see the specifics of the Keenum deal. Another possibility is the Broncos view Chad Kelly as a long term option. I've resisted buying into the hype with Kelly but a lot of people seem to think he has all the tools. I view him as having been drafted last in his class for a reason, though there are some mitigating circumstances there.

Whatever the case, the Broncos addressed their single greatest need before FA even started. That's a good move, no matter how it's sliced.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:56 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
I seems like a decent choice, but I have heard nothing encouraging about building a line. Protecting the ball is good, but the point is to be able to move thing forward.

I am also glad to be out of the Cousins game. He may be good, but I don't know if he is as good as he seems to think he is.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I seems like a decent choice, but I have heard nothing encouraging about building a line. Protecting the ball is good, but the point is to be able to move thing forward.

I am also glad to be out of the Cousins game. He may be good, but I don't know if he is as good as he seems to think he is.
In 2017 the Broncos line graded out to be 23rd "best" in the game. The team whose line graded 22nd? The Vikings.

I'm not saying we'll be fine with the line we have. But I have said a couple times now, for the first time in a few years we should be bringing back 4/5 players on the line. Maybe just 3/5 but presumably that would be due to an upgrade being available. We've seen so much turnover on this unit but we have some of the pieces in place now that we're not doing another complete overhaul from one season to the next. Getting this unit to even the middle of the pack would be a huge step forward for the team.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:59 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
In 2017 the Broncos line graded out to be 23rd "best" in the game. The team whose line graded 22nd? The Vikings.

I'm not saying we'll be fine with the line we have. But I have said a couple times now, for the first time in a few years we should be bringing back 4/5 players on the line. Maybe just 3/5 but presumably that would be due to an upgrade being available. We've seen so much turnover on this unit but we have some of the pieces in place now that we're not doing another complete overhaul from one season to the next. Getting this unit to even the middle of the pack would be a huge step forward for the team.
Yup. One brick at a time.

Offensive Lines are built, not drafted. The problem has been leadership, as much as talent. Non of the guys behind center last year seems to be able to step up and take the helm. Hopefully, Keenum is that guy that pulls them all together.

If we can see an improvement this next year, you know, like consistently able to move the ball, and not give it up so easily. Maybe a >.500 season?
Something to hope for.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Congrats to my man Keenum... hopefully he will continue his solid play.

Keenum has had #7 and #17. My guess would be #11 if no one has it. #17 if Osweilier is not there.
I just got through listening to John McClain being interviewed by Brandon Stokely on 104.3 "The Fan" in Denver. McClain certainly knows a bit about Keenum, that's for sure. He's been covering Houston Oilers/Texans football going back over 40 years and ASAIC one of the most knowledgable media personalities around the league. On radio he airs on "AM Sports Radio 610" in Houston. He stated that this is strictly a Gary Kubiak move and McClain is "all in" with it. He was a backup when Kubes was coaching the Texans and that he liked what he saw in Keenum. Casey played 2012/2013 for him.

I like this guy. This is a good move for Denver.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-15-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 03-14-2018, 03:35 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Am listening to D-Mac and Alfred Williams on 104.3 and they have said that tight end Virgil Green has signed a three year contract with the Los Angeles Chargers.

ADD------They have also said that just a bit ago Trevor Siemien will be traded to the Minnesota Vikings.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-14-2018 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-14-2018, 03:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Trevor Siemian traded to Vikings

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/14/1...fl-quarterback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football