U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2011, 08:45 AM

13,041 posts, read 11,767,776 times
Well, getting to the game. You're not going to get much out of a game when the first string players are only in there for maybe half of the first quarter. But it was a good start. You have the occasional blown assignments and dumb penalties which you expect in the first preseason game. A good one on that point was the penalty when Orton got the O down near the Dallas goal line. He was only in on the one series, then Tebow got in late in the first quarter. Moreno and Willis McGhahee got in a few good runs.

I was a tad concerned when the Cowboys went right down the middle on us early, still Denvers D held them to three points. Game actually was pretty even stat wise with time of possession virtually equal. Denver outgained on total yardage by 357 to 345. Brady Quinn got off to a rough start, actually stumbling on his first snap. But he looked pretty darn good on those 2 td drives, going 8 for 14 for 120 yards. All the media wants to carp on is Orton versus Tebow. How about a word on Quinn?

Coach Fox did the right thing by not feeding into the media hype machine by saying after the game that Tim Tebow is a "work in progress." He is. Tebow had some rough plays but had good ones as well. The 43 yard pass to Willis was a great throw. I'm not losing any sleep over the final drive with Dallas winning on the last play. By the third weeks game then we'll know what we have here as that is the game where the starters get the workout.

There was the penalties and blown assignments which one would expect from the first game. What was surprising was there was only one turnover in the game.

And it was good to get the season started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 12:57 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,874,429 times
Yeah, I'll agree that the only sure test is that third game. But it's still a sickening reminder of last season to see them roll over on the last two plays of the game to lose like that.

That #33 Jones needs to learn how to cover in the Red Zone better than he did there. Another thing, on runs up the middle, your cornerback shouldn't have to make the tackle or you're dealing with 1st and 10s as your opponent marches up the field... wearing down your defense and keeping your offense off the field.

Fox needs to prove himself too. He had the only team that did worse than our 4-12 Broncos.

I was thinking about Quinn coming into the 2nd half. I thought I'd heard that this could be Quinn's last chance to prove himself... and that he did. He got off to a really rough first series. But after that, he showed up. I hope our new coach can do the same during the regular season.

Although these preseason games don't matter for the regular season, it is very important to the individual player that is trying to make the team. The stupid penalties have to stop. Also, the team needs to come together and find a way to play for four quarters. It would have been a nice time for a turnover on one of those last two plays.

Once the Broncos play their in-division rivals, they will have to focus on this turnover battle if they expect to win.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:21 PM

I don't disagree on Fox. When he was hired, I was surprised. He had three good seasons, the one which he took Carolina to the super bowl. And in 2008, he took the Panthers to the playoffs where the Cardinals beat the Panthers. I'm not as familiar on the Panther situation as I'd like, and we don't get a lot of posts on the Panther team thread. Hopefully someone can chime in here. (edit- question answered below)

The only opinion I can give here is that owner Jerry Richardson and John Fox didn't see eye to eye the past couple seasons. I remember reading that Carolina had a lot of cap room to work with the last season, and I mean a lot. And at the end of the season Richardson simply said that Fox's contract would not be renewed.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-14-2011 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 09:09 PM

6,045 posts, read 5,173,473 times
As someone living in Panthers territory, let me chime in on Fox.

When he first came to Charlotte, he was taking over a team that had just finished a 1-15 record. So there was really nowhere to go but up, and the team went 7-9 the next season. Then there was the SB run, and despite losing, a lot of people had really high hopes the Panthers would be a regular playoff contender. Well long story short, they didn't, and quite honestly if the team had not made the playoffs in 2008, Fox in all likely hood would have been fired.

It also should be noted that Jake Delhomme should not have been given a 5 year extension after the Arizona loss. Also, some of the Panthers better players from that '08 team were gone during the off-season, names escape me at the moment. So not everything should be blamed on him for the past 2 seasons.

From what I understand though, Fox is very much a players coach. A lot of the players here said he was very motivating during both good and bad times.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Good information here. Thanks for contributing Canes!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:38 PM

2,681 posts, read 984,670 times
I had an idea today, why don't we see if we can trade Brady Quinn to the Dolphins, and pick up a draft pick. Especially if he looks good in the next game.

Broncos QB's would be:
1. Kyle Orton
2. Tim Tebow
3. Adam Weber

Thoughts?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 AM

3,655 posts, read 4,478,524 times
That works for me!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:33 PM

One thing about Quinn. He has too much talent to be carrying a clipboard. I've been wondering why no other club shows any interest in him. I still think he can be a starting quarterback in this league. His situation in Cleveland,well I'm sure he was glad to be out of there. He looked good on those 2 touchdown drives the other night and that performance certainly helped his standing with the club.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM

Well, only into camp maybe two weeks and the Broncos have their first player off field problem going. The Denver Post has reported that on the night of August 2nd Matt Prater had been arrested and charged with driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident. He apparently left a nightclub with a young lady and dinged a couple cars in the parking lot and was tracked down by law enforcement.

The first thing I thought of was Peyton Manning's remarks about Mike Vanderjacht a few years ago when he referred to his teammate as "our idiot kicker." Good grief, that's all we need! According to the police report, Prater has apologized and is taking full responsibility for the matter.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 AM

3,655 posts, read 4,478,524 times
And apparently he ditched her in the lobby. Classy, taking a stripper, then ditching her while he ran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football