Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 10:21 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
....Even back in the Elway days, didn't the Broncos have an anemic offense under Dan Reeve's scheme of run Sammy Winder on 1st for 2 yards, run Sammy Winder on 2nd down for 2 yards, then let Elway scramble around and run for 6 or find an open rcvr for a 1st down... maybe 55-60% of the time?

I would agree with that predictability. I think they need to phase that option out next season as well. ...
Reminds me of the old saying back in Redskin territory in the 1980's, where the joke going around the office with that the Redskins' game plan was RR, RL, RM and P, i.e., Riggins Right, Riggins Left, Riggins up the Middle, and Punt. That would be John Riggins, who was overused.

As I've watched the last few Bronco games, I was disappointed that it seemed every Denver possession started with MaGahee running the ball, one possession after another, often with predictably low gains, i.e., MR, ML, MM and P.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As I've watched the last few Bronco games, I was disappointed that it seemed every Denver possession started with MaGahee running the ball, one possession after another, often with predictably low gains, i.e., MR, ML, MM and P.
I saw it more as MM, MM, XX, P.

XX can be any of the following:
TS: Tebow Scramble
TO: Tebow overthrow
TD: Thomas Dropped Pass
DD: Decker Dropped Pass
BB: Blown Blocks
P50: Prater 50 yd field goal to win the game
TC: Tebow Completion (used sparingly)

Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Well, when the score winds up at 45-10, there is no such thing as woulda, coulda, shoulda. Denver suffered a beatdown. They were outhustled, outplayed, and outcoached. Lots of good commentary by McGowdog, Garfunkel524, and others.

Will comment on those said posts, for now some stats here.

In short, Tom Brady performed laser surgery on the Broncos, no two ways about it. Here's the stats: 26 completions out of 34 attempts for 363 yards. There are a few things that go into a quarterbacks passing rating, in this case Brady's rating was 137.6, an impressive stat. A huge reason for that rating is also the 6 touchdown passes Brady tossed in the game, tying the Raiders Daryle Lamonica and the 49ers Steve Young for most touchdowns ever in a playoff game. And if that stat doesn't get ones attention, well this one certainly got mine. And that is 3 out of 6 in third down conversions. There were only 6 times in the game that the Patriots were put into the position to be in third down mode.

In other words, they were moving the ball at will. And in regards to their running game, they ended up with 146 yards, if memory serves. And the ones that caught the Broncos flat footed were the rushes by Aaron Hernandez, especially the 43 yard run early in the game. In the previous Pat/Bronco game, Gronkowski was held somewhat in check with 4 catches. In this game he had 10 for 145 yards. In the previous game Aaron Hernandez ran crossing patterns all game long and was very productive. This game he was limited a little but not much, still caught 5 balls I believe.

The Broncos didn't have an answer for any of this. Then there are the wide outs, like Deion Branch whose td pass left Andre Goodman far behind. The Pats offensive line? Brady's jersey looked clean to me at games end. He was never sacked.

Will comment later on our end of the game.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:11 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Since football season is over from my perspective this will most likely be my last post till next season. While it sucks the Broncos lost I think they did very good considering how they started the season and Tebow coming in half way. During the off season I hope he works with Elway and the coaches because if he does I think he will improve his passing ability by the start of next season and Denver should do much better.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:07 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
We need an O-line like the one we had when TD came along.
They opened the door, and he ran through.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
Sorry to see you go, Josseppie-Hopefully, the off-season will bring some changes, improvements and answers. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I really don't know how Elway seriously feels about Tebow, is it just to appease the fans, the things he's saying? Who knows, what I do sense is that Elway doesn't feel 100% Tebow is the guy. It's one thing to be popular with fans and in the community, and it's another to have consistent success in the league, which is what it takes to win not only games, but super bowls. Not one season, but several in a row.
I hope for the best, with Tebow or not!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Since football season is over from my perspective this will most likely be my last post till next season. While it sucks the Broncos lost I think they did very good considering how they started the season and Tebow coming in half way. During the off season I hope he works with Elway and the coaches because if he does I think he will improve his passing ability by the start of next season and Denver should do much better.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Uh oh. Hitler found out that his Steelers lost to Tebow and the Broncos and he is NOT at all happy about it....

Hitler reacts to Tim Tebow beating the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC playoffs in OT - YouTube

Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,261 times
Brian Dawkins adds to Pro Bowl total - AFC West Blog - ESPN
Brian Dawkins was added to the pro bowl roster his 9th. He is my favorite player on defense in all of the nfl, and I feel one of the most respectable in recent memory. He is a man of class loyalty to his team, so even though others had better stats i think he deserves this putting into consideration that he missed 5 games.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:05 PM

The Colorado Sports Hall of Fame has named Tim Tebow as their "professional athlete of the year" for the state of Colorado.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:00 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
A couple of very noteworthy decisions has come about in the last few days regarding Denver's defensive coordinator position.

Dennis Allen has left his position as DC and was signed by the Oakland Raiders to be their new head coach.

And former Jacksonville Jaguar head coach Jack Del Rio has been picked to replace him.

Background: 11 seasons in the NFL as a linebacker with the Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints. After his retirement in 1996 he became strength and conditioning coach with the Saints in 1997, linebackers coach with the Ravens from 1999 to 2001, and was on coach John Fox's staff at Carolina in 2002.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football