Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times

Advertisements

hey HH!! I tried to send you a message! what do you think of what our boy Cutler is tangled up in????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Heyy Alanboy, whazzup? Noticed Carolina still has that albatross around their neck (Peppers). Anyhoo, according to the Denver Post, thankfully it is now a closed subject as the Broncos have announced that Cutler will not be traded-period. IMHO, both parties have dropped the ball on this issue.

The new head coach should take a closer look at this situation. Instead of stirring the pot with the offense, it actually was the defense who folded like a deck of cards. Once the running back situation is resolved (and the Broncos signed 2 running backs yesterday), Denver should get back to addressing the real problem on the club, the defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 05:10 PM

My question is: who would QB if, heaven forbid, Cutler is not there?? what are our options?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Hi Sportsfangal! I see my pm option is messed up again.
All of that stuff is blown over. Yesterday's Denver Post reported that according to Bronco management, Jay Cutler will NOT be traded-period.

Good move. That stuff needs to disappear. There are more pressing matters this club needs to address, like the defense. And special teams. After a good start, our field goal kicker bombed down the stretch. Missing from 50 yards is one thing. Missing from 35 to 40 is another.

Patrick Ramsey is an adequate backup to Jay Cutler. The Broncos have also brought in free agent quarterback Chris Simms. Chris is the son of Phil Sims, former NY Giant quarterback great and current TV commentator. he played sparingly for Tampa Bay, who let him go in the off season. For years Mike Shanahan went with just 2 quarterbacks on the active roster, although for the first 5 years as head coach he went with three. I think the new head coach might go with 3 quarterbacks but not sure. As usual, salary cap considerations would be an issue so we'll see what happens in July. Sims hasn't signed yet, but might.

Check back tomorrow fangal! Denver has signed some free agents I'm going to talk about. A couple of the signings puzzle me, and others are solid moves.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-05-2009 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 03-06-2009, 08:05 AM

One of things that the new Bronco head coach is not getting any points from his players is replacing their long snapper Mike Leach with Lonnie Paxton, who played for New England and signed him to a 5 year contract. Yes, McDaniels is coach and can bring in whoever he wants, but Leach was a locker room leader and a half, something the Broncos can"t have enough of. Now if Paxton can play other positions on the line like Leach can, I would be ok with it. There are some players questioning this move.

As Dre Bly was cut last week Denver has signed Andre Goodman to a 5 year 20.4 million contract. He will start opposite Champ Bailey at defensive cornerback. he led Miami with 5 interceptions last year. Seems like an ok fit.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 AM

It is becoming apparent that Denver is not going to be returning very many running backs who played last year for them. They have signed two more running backs from other clubs.
One is J.J.Arrington, who was a backup back to Tim Hightower with the Arizona Cardinals. He played 4 seasons for them and rushed for a combined total of 183 yards for them. 4 year, $10 million contract, $3 million signing signing bonus.
Another is Lamont Jordon who has been in the league for 8 years, many of it with the Oakland Raiders, but played last year with New England.

comment-Like I said, last years running backs seem to have been swept out the door as free agent back Corrie Buckhalter was signed a few days ago. In Arrington all I saw is a benchwarmer, in Jordon I see a decent back but one who has a fair amount of miles on him, as he is entering his 9th year in the league. He is a good blocker, though, so IMO he will start at fullback.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:29 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Wow, I can't keep up with all this stuff! I usually don't pay much attention until training camp starts. I guess when your team has been so lousy for 2+ years (as evidenced by the Broncos absence in the playoffs), this stuff gets pretty important for the teams' hopeful future. I've always just taken for granted that they're gonna compete in the AFC West for the title and go far in the playoffs; at very least, have a stellar defense.

Quote:
Chris is the son of Phil Sims, former NY Giant quarterback great and current TV commentator.
He's a great pain in my neck! I hate when he's announcing games that I watch. You can take him and his son and send them both to Canada for all I care. Broncos lousy Super Bowl defense made him look good for 10 or 15 straight passes! Not enough to get him into the HOF IMO.

Quote:
For years Mike Shanahan went with just 2 quarterbacks on the active roster, although
What about losing a player like Rod Smith? I know he's no QB, but technically, wasn't he the #3 or #4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double H
As Dre Bly was cut last week Denver has signed Andre Goodman to a 5 year 20.4 million contract. He will start opposite Champ Bailey at defensive cornerback. he led Miami with 5 interceptions last year. Seems like an ok fit.
That's welcome news. Anybody from Miami's D sounds like a good pick to me.

Running backs? IDK, it will depend on what kind of line we have. I'm assuming the O-Line will change drastically with the new head coach. But I'd give our O-line a lot more credit than that D-Line. If the D-line did their job, aka make a stop on 3rd and 22, the rest of the team wouldn't have been so beat up (and the Coach wouldn't have been canned, but that's another story for another day).

Last edited by McGowdog; 03-06-2009 at 03:38 PM..

Old 03-06-2009, 04:40 PM

thanks HH for the updates! I'm out of town and can't keep up on it and the website is not up to date!
Chris Simms, huh? I thought he wasn't any good! Geez, all the great QB's are taken! we're getting all the leftovers!??!! wasn't he hurt or something?

I'll check back for updates!

Quote:
Hi Sportsfangal! I see my pm option is messed up again.
All of that stuff is blown over. Yesterday's Denver Post reported that according to Bronco management, Jay Cutler will NOT be traded-period.

Good move. That stuff needs to disappear. There are more pressing matters this club needs to address, like the defense. And special teams. After a good start, our field goal kicker bombed down the stretch. Missing from 50 yards is one thing. Missing from 35 to 40 is another.

Patrick Ramsey is an adequate backup to Jay Cutler. The Broncos have also brought in free agent quarterback Chris Simms. Chris is the son of Phil Sims, former NY Giant quarterback great and current TV commentator. he played sparingly for Tampa Bay, who let him go in the off season. For years Mike Shanahan went with just 2 quarterbacks on the active roster, although for the first 5 years as head coach he went with three. I think the new head coach might go with 3 quarterbacks but not sure. As usual, salary cap considerations would be an issue so we'll see what happens in July. Sims hasn't signed yet, but might.

Check back tomorrow fangal! Denver has signed some free agents I'm going to talk about. A couple of the signings puzzle me, and others are solid moves.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:54 PM

Apparently the Chris Sims look see is now a done deal, the Broncos signed him last night. I'm kind of neutral on it, as he hasn't made an impact in the NFL other than being with Tampa bay. I think Tampa Bay was dumping a sizable salary in this case. I've always kind of liked Ramsey, we'll see what happens in the next few months.

McG you are right on Rod. The year and circumstances escape me but, yea, he had to come in at quarterback for a couple series of plays, I believe it was in the 2001 season, but not sure. I am sure of this, though. We really miss him. He was one of the best players to wear a Bronco uniform, was a locker room leader, and was class on and off the field.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:14 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,220 times
Now its rumored that Cutler isn't returning Pat Bowlen's phone calls. This situation has gone from bad to worse now. Apparently Jay hasn't learned a sage rule in life: don't screw and or insult big $$ (Bowlen). He'll send you packing.
Who woulda ever thought it would come to this?!?!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
I think Jay Cutler would beat Josh McDaniel's beady little eyes (http://www.jimrome.com/home/articles/article.html - broken link) to a pulp.

Shop Cutler then. Call his bluff. I'll tell you who loses; Bronco Fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football