U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM

535 posts, read 991,759 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing this 3-4 will have dumervil and ayers as OLB's. That might not be too bad of an idea. I'm seeing alot of possibilities to mix it up with that setup, though I'd worry about their open field takling ability compared to other OLB's. With a setup like that though they could throw a lot of things at the offence and with our secondary, maybe we'll get a bunch of good pick offs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 05:24 PM

13,241 posts, read 12,468,954 times
Yes, on the local news in my area they showed a 1 minute item on defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. Nolan is sold on the 3-4 defense.

As far as those those pickoffs, Ticky, we'll take all of those we can get. Dre Bly led the team last year with two interceptions. That number tells ya something!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM

11,005 posts, read 10,088,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Jarvis Moss is back in camp again. He has been good, from all reports, regarding to the off season volunteer camps regarding weightlifting, etc. He had a poor first two days of camp, left camp to think about things, according to Bronco sources. And now is back in camp again.

Opinion: From the last 2 seasons, I'm afraid it's the end of the line for him. He was too small for the defensive line, and it seems the linebacker situation is not working either. The reports I've been getting from my brother in law who has been to a couple practices is he is getting run over by the running backs, particularly Peyton Hillis.
Jarvis has been looking pretty good since he came back. Not great, but good.

I caught Jarvis alot of slack. He was the perfect fit for RDE in Jim Bates' defensive scheme and was looking pretty good in 07 before he broke his leg. Then in 2008 Slowik had him playing in a 4 point stance in the most bastardized defensive scheme known to man while getting absolutely NO developmental help from Jacob Burney, our D-Line coach.

Jarvis has worked hard, done everything we've asked of him and by all accounts, been a great teamate. In my opinion the Broncos are to blame for the failure his career has been so far, but the switch to OLB and some legit positional coaches should help him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
I'm hearing this 3-4 will have dumervil and ayers as OLB's. That might not be too bad of an idea. I'm seeing alot of possibilities to mix it up with that setup, though I'd worry about their open field takling ability compared to other OLB's. With a setup like that though they could throw a lot of things at the offence and with our secondary, maybe we'll get a bunch of good pick offs.
Right now, Dumervil, Moss, Reid, Ayers and Crowder are all getting work at OLB. Reid and Crowder are really looking good from the reports I've read.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, on the local news in my area they showed a 1 minute item on defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. Nolan is sold on the 3-4 defense.
Nolan has pretty much been a 3-4 guy his whole career, and he's one of the best DC's in the game. This year we'll probably run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid much like the Cards used en route to the Super Bowl. If Nolan sees early success with that, he might stick with it, but he'll probably have us fully transitioned into the 3-4 within a year or two.

Quote:
As far as those those pickoffs, Ticky, we'll take all of those we can get. Dre Bly led the team last year with two interceptions. That number tells ya something!
That's what I hated about Slowik. His scheme played AWAY from the strengths of Bailey and Bly, our two excellent corners. Now with a legit defensive scheme and an excellent defensive backs coach (Ed Donatell, who was our DB coach during our Super Bowl years) we should see a rise in turnovers.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 PM

All good points. And with Champ Bailey missing a good part of the season, Bly really caught it. And I do like Nolan, a solid pick.

I hope I'm wrong with Moss.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
All good points. And with Champ Bailey missing a good part of the season, Bly really caught it. And I do like Nolan, a solid pick.
Yeah, they really went after Bly for awhile. He performed admirably, but then they just went after Paymah and Josh Bell. Now we have Bailey back, Andre Goodman is a prototype #2 corner and Jack Williams/Alphonso Smith are in a very heated battle for the nickel corner spot. We'll have a very deep secondary this year.

Quote:
I hope I'm wrong with Moss.
Me too. After a few days off to get his hard clear, he seems to have come back with a venegance. There is still hope there.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:45 PM

The defence doesn't sound so bad when you break down the personell. We'll see how it turns out when the game is on. I think this years offence will be more defence freindly as well, burning more clock, less 3 and outs, etc. I noticed alot of our defences problems started emerging later on in games, as the offence did what it was going to do quickly and gave the ball back.

What was the deal with Bailey not showing up/being able to do the conditioning run a few days back?

I hear jack williams can really fly.

Heard the receivers are the deapest segment of this camp, really making noise.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
The defence doesn't sound so bad when you break down the personell. We'll see how it turns out when the game is on. I think this years offence will be more defence freindly as well, burning more clock, less 3 and outs, etc. I noticed alot of our defences problems started emerging later on in games, as the offence did what it was going to do quickly and gave the ball back.
Shanahan and Jeremy Bates said they were trying to copy the 2007 Patroits offense last year. They did great from a yardage standpoint but not so good with scoring. Having the real deal should be a great boost for us.

Quote:
What was the deal with Bailey not showing up/being able to do the conditioning run a few days back?
Hard to say. He failed the test (which is a series of sprints) but then passed it the next day. They say it could have been he was just behind on his conditioning because of his injuries last year, or maybe he just had a bad day. I'll go with bad day because like I said, he passed the test the very next day and looked good out there since. Champ is a pro's pro and he'll be ready to go.

Quote:
I hear jack williams can really fly.
He's very quick. He's been awesome the last couple days (99 yard interception return for touchdown yesterday) and is giving Alphonso Smith a major battle for the nickelback spot.

Quote:
Heard the receivers are the deapest segment of this camp, really making noise.
We're going to have some tough choices to make there. Marshall looked good when he was out there, Royal is awesome as always, Gaffney has looked good, Stokely is Stokely and McKinley, Brandon Lloyd, Chad Jackson and Nate Swift (UDFA out of Nebraska) have all been impressive.

Like I said, there will be some tough choices to make when it comes to trimming down the roster.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:15 PM

I had a bit of a revelation a bit back when it came to the broncos. Why is Brandon Marshall on the team and Jay Cutler isn't? Then I thought about the direction this team is going and realized Brandon Marshall and the receiving core will be a bigger part of this offence than a quarterback like Cutler would be. I'm assuming there will be alot more accurate short passing and after the catch yardage this year than last year. Having a beast like Marshall to get that extra yards after the catch, and taking pressure off emerging guys like Royal is more key to this team than Cutler was. We need accuracy more than arm, though Orton and Sims I've heard have been pretty shakey thus far in camp. We have a pretty ideal group of guys out there catching the ball, and Marshall is important to that, we just need a qb to get it there, they're the real focus. That's why I think Marshall is around despite his problems and Cutler is gone because of his.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:44 PM

I'm hoping Marshall is around as well. Because if I'm not mistaken his case goes to trial starts sometime next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football