Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

As many in the media have speculated, Peyton Manning was playing injured. Adam Schefter reported today that Manning tore his right quadricep against the Chargers on Dec. 14th - probably on the block he threw.

Peyton Manning of Denver Broncos played with a torn right quad for the last month of the season - ESPN

If he comes back next season there is NO WAY he's worth $19 million. IMHO he's not even worth half that. I'd try to get him to reduce his paycheck to the neighborhood of $8 million. The Broncos are gonna have to shore up both sides of the ball in free agency and between the $60 million or so they've spent on the defense and Manning's ridiculous salary it's going to be tough sledding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I was at the game yesterday and it was as though the life was sucked out of the crowd the second half. They've been saying on sports radio here in denver that Manning is now at best an "average" qb. I don't agree with that. He's never been a very mobile qb, or throwing lasers with his arm. His talent has always been his intelligence on the field and knowledge of the game. I just think it's funny that no one felt he was "average" when he was signed 3 years ago.
IMO, he seemed detached and unemotional these last few weeks, almost robotic. Who knows what was/is going through his mind lately. I'd love for him to come back, and I don't think firing John Fox is the answer.
I have to agree with you about Manning..he will go down in football history as the greatest quarterback that has ever played the game.
But with that said over the last half of this season he hasn't been the Manning we have seen over the past several years. His numbers are down and he appears not to make good decisions at times. I think father time has overtaken him. I would not be surprised if he hung up his jock within the next few months. I hope he doesn't try to do what Brett Favre did and embarrass himself in making numerous failed comebacks.
He should retire at the top of his game and open a used car lot or a restaurant.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:16 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Peyton Manning was a ton of fun to watch and a real class act. But stars don't consistently win championships. Fundamentals do.

It's time for Elway and the front office to move on from their immature air game and focus on running, defense and getting first downs.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Manning's arm strength is completely shot--his passes have too much air underneath them, injured arm or not..

Old 01-12-2015, 11:40 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Manning's arm strength is completely shot--his passes have too much air underneath them, injured arm or not..
His arm wasn't injured, it was his right quad. Hard to get any velocity when your plant-leg is injured. I imagine that also affected his decision-making.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:58 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I have to agree with you about Manning..he will go down in football history as the greatest quarterback that has ever played the game.
Sorry, and I don't mean to be ugly, but this kind of commentary kills me. How is he even close to "the greatest QB who ever played the game?"

Peyton has some regular season records, but when you look at his record in the playoffs and his record in winning championships, he has one of the WORST records in the NFL. His own mediocre brother has more championships than he does.

I'm sure some could argue for Montana or Young or Elway or Staubach or Bradshaw or Favre, but for me Brady is the best QB, at least in the last 20 years, if not all time. Not only does he hold all all the playoff records for a QB, but his team has been the most successful in the NFL during his tenure, and he's gone up against Peyton's teams head to head and won overwhelmingly.

Last edited by neil0311; 01-12-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 12:20 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Sorry, and I don't mean to be ugly, but this kind of commentary kills me. How is he even close to "the greatest QB who ever played the game?"
I also laugh when I hear that. I wonder if Broncos fans who say that realize that by extension they're also saying that Elway is in second place as Broncos QB. I love P Manning, but almost all objective people currently consider Montana as the best ever. But Brady isn't done yet and another ring this Feb would go a long way in making that argument for him. (as a homer I hope that doesn't happen, but objectively speaking it should)

Old 01-12-2015, 12:28 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:

Peyton has some regular season records, but when you look at his record in the playoffs and his record in winning championships, he has one of the WORST records in the NFL. His own mediocre brother has more championships than he does.

I'm sure some could argue for Montana or Young or Elway or Staubach or Bradshaw or Favre, but for me Brady is the best QB, at least in the last 20 years, if not all time. Not only does he hold all all the playoff records for a QB, but his team has been the most successful in the NFL during his tenure, and he's gone up against Peyton's teams head to head and won overwhelmingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Also also laugh when I hear that. I wonder if Broncos fans who say that realize that by extension they're also saying that Elway is in second place as Broncos QB. I love P Manning, but almost all objective people currently consider Montana as the best ever. But Brady isn't done yet and another ring this Feb would go a long way in making that argument for him. (as a homer I hope that doesn't happen, but objectively speaking it should)
I laugh at this too. But I come from a different perspective.

I am a Pats fan, and Brady is my favorite athlete off all-time (I'm 54 so I've seen enough athletes, and from Boston I can look at Orr, Esposito, Bird, etc). But there is no greatest ever. Can't be. Too many variables as I posted in another thread: different teams, eras, coaches, players, playbooks, etc. In comparing just Brady/Manning, I think accomplishments above just numbers speak for themselves and Brady would be rated better. EDIT: And let's not forget where the two came from - Manning was anointed #1 right out of the gate while Tom Brady was a #199 afterthought coming in.

But, I think there is a top tier of QB's that as time passes QB's with join those ranks. Brady, Montana - already there. I would say Manning albeit for his lousy post season record. Bradshaw/Aikman/Elway? Maybe there too, but those eras were different. Less teams, thus better rosters, But QB's in the old days could get hit unlike today's game.

So forget best ever for any QB - it doesn't and will never exist.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 01-12-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 01:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
I'm not trying to make a case that Brady absolutely is the "best QB" in NFL history, although I think reasonable people could make that case.

I do think that by virtue of his poor playoff record and poor head to head with Brady, that it's very difficult to make a case that Peyton is in the running for "best QB" in NFL history.

One of the best regular season QBs in the last 20 years...absolutely. I put him in a category with Drew Brees.

His brother on the other hand is a mediocre regular season QB who rose to the occasion in the two Superbowls.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:57 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to make a case that Brady absolutely is the "best QB" in NFL history, although I think reasonable people could make that case.

I do think that by virtue of his poor playoff record and poor head to head with Brady, that it's very difficult to make a case that Peyton is in the running for "best QB" in NFL history.

One of the best regular season QBs in the last 20 years...absolutely. I put him in a category with Drew Brees.

His brother on the other hand is a mediocre regular season QB who rose to the occasion in the two Superbowls.
As a Giants fan, I will accept that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football