Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 09:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

How long do you figure we have until McDaniels cuts the sleeves off the hoodie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:01 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I say the Broncos should do everything in their power to shelf Brandon Marshall... worthless selfish cry-baby punk... and don't honor his trade and sit him. Brandon Marshall is one distraction that the Broncos can ill-afford this season.
Well in his defense, he showed up to camp and worked hard until he tweaked his injury. I can understand his gripe too. He's outperformed his contract, had an injury misdiagnosed by the team doctors and if he's going to play through it he wants the new contract to protect himself in case the injury is aggravated or not healed.

Still, they should not allow him to become a distraction. If he continues working hard and gets on the field, he should have a new deal by midseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How long do you figure we have until McDaniels cuts the sleeves off the hoodie?
Probably won't happen. He wore hoodies occasionally in New England, but never cut the sleeves off them. Being a young guy, he seems to actually have a sense of style.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:15 AM

I'm extremely pleased with the first team offense tonight. You can already see the light coming on for Orton and things are really starting to click. We have lots of options for him to throw to and Hillis looks to be picking up right where he left off.

The first team defense still needs alot of work, but you can see massive improvement over the abortion of a defense Slowik trotted out last year. We've been getting some consistent pressure as well, something we haven't seen in Denver since Coyer was running the zero blitz in 2005.

Oh, and special teams coverage is drastically improved as well, although I think that has alot more to do with a change in philosophy rather than coaching.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:44 PM

18,014 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Should the defense as a whole concern us a bit? I still don't see much improvement to making those 3rd and long stops and absolutely no help on forcing turnovers. If I'm not mistaken, they are about -6 after two games now? I know, I know... just preseason still.

Next week... Cutler and the Bears here.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Should the defense as a whole concern us a bit? I still don't see much improvement to making those 3rd and long stops and absolutely no help on forcing turnovers. If I'm not mistaken, they are about -6 after two games now? I know, I know... just preseason still.
Compared to last year's garbage? Probably not.

I doubt we'll have a "good" defense this year, but we should be middle of the pack and with the improved coaching staff, they should be better than the sum of their parts. We still need better talent on the D-line but that will come in the next offseason or so.

We've seen a massive change in scheme and philosophy. It'll be a bumpy ride but the long term benefits are very large.

Quote:
Next week... Cutler and the Bears here.
I'm hoping we're in his face all night. I want our players to get in his head too. I want to see him have an implosion on the field like he did against the Chargers in 2007.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 AM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,586 times
Even though we lost to Seattle, I thought Orton looked a little better - 18/22 w/182 yards. Simms was o.k. and Walker had some decent runs.

I don't think our boys will have a catastrophic season, maybe we'll eek out 6-7 wins this season. And as much I share your dislike and distrust of McDaniels, I'm hoping that by the 2011 season we have an offense as potent as New England's was when he was there, coupled with a vastly improved defense.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:48 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,848 times
I agree, I thought Orton looked better also, what happened to Simms? I hope it's just a mild sprain?
I'm gearing up for Saturday's game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Even though we lost to Seattle, I thought Orton looked a little better - 18/22 w/182 yards. Simms was o.k. and Walker had some decent runs.

I don't think our boys will have a catastrophic season, maybe we'll eek out 6-7 wins this season. And as much I share your dislike and distrust of McDaniels, I'm hoping that by the 2011 season we have an offense as potent as New England's was when he was there, coupled with a vastly improved defense.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Orton played a very good game. I'm very encouraged by it.

Quote:
I don't think our boys will have a catastrophic season, maybe we'll eek out 6-7 wins this season.
I actually think we'll be 9-7 or 10-6, with 7-9 being worst case scenario and 12-4 being the best case scenario. A slight downgrade at QB is not enough to drop our record much from last year's 8-8 unless we suffer some major injuries.

Quote:
And as much I share your dislike and distrust of McDaniels, I'm hoping that by the 2011 season we have an offense as potent as New England's was when he was there, coupled with a vastly improved defense.
Actually I'm a huge McDaniels fan. He was my #1 pick for Shanahan's replacement followed by Raheem Morris, Steve Spagnuolo and Jason Garrett.

Our coaching staff has been universally upgraded, and the defensive coaching staff might be one of the best in the NFL and certainly the best we've had in Denver since 2000. It's a shame that Cutler decided to be a bastard and force his way out of town, because under McDaniel's tutelage they could have made the 2007 Patriots look like a team unfamiliar with the concept of a forward pass. Orton is not much of a downgrade though, and we have almost as much offensive talent as the 07 Patriots did, provided Brandon Marshall doesn't flake out on us.

On defense, we have three great positional coaches in Wayne Nunnely, Don Martindale and Ed Donatell. They'll do a great job of prepping our players and Mike Nolan, while a flop as a HC, is an excellent D-coordinator. Ed Donatell also has had some success as a DC and could step in for Nolan if he should leave in the near future.

It's also worth nothing that Nolan, Donatell and O-coordinator Mike McCoy all have Broncos roots. Nolan was a LB coach here during the last years of Joe Collier's (architect of the "Orange Crush") tenure, while Donatell was an excellent defensive backs coach for us from 95-99, and Mike McCoy spent the 1995 training camp with Denver after they signed him as a rookie free agent cornerback.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:55 PM

18,014 posts, read 27,460,166 times
That all sounds wonderful. Now if only their 11 players on defense didn't suck.

Wouldn't it be funny if Cutler came in here and torched the Broncos?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
That all sounds wonderful. Now if only their 11 players on defense didn't suck.
We've actually seen some very substantial improvement there, especially in the secondary. IMO none of the defensive starters "suck" but most of the linemen are very average. There is talent there though, so I'm hoping the coaching will bring out the best in them.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be funny if Cutler came in here and torched the Broncos?
Yeah, in a horrific train wreck of epic proportions kind of funny.

I'm actively rooting against Cutler now though. I had let bygones be bygones after the king's ransom we got for him but then he went to Chicago and stabbed our collective fanbase in the back...well, let's just say I wish nothing good on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football