Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 05:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So the Broncos get the Vikings in a 3rd and 17. They play a prevent style defense on one snap and the Vikings come up one foot shy of a first down. One play later AP takes it 48 for a TD and closes it to a 3 point game. If this is not an indictment on the prevent defense then such a thing does not exist. A game the Broncos defense dominated was nearly defined by one JDR-style play. I hope and pray that Wade P. learns from that and dials up the pressure on EVERY EFFING SNAP. I EFFING HATE the prevent. I can't EFFING stand to see that sorry excuse of a defense. After last year I think I may vomit every time I see it. It damn near cost the Broncos a game tonight. One play in the defense damn near wiped out an otherwise dominant performance.

Please, Wade. Never put these guys in the prevent again. Please in the name of all that is holy and virtuous, never again put this unit in the prevent.
Tell us how you really feel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 05:48 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Tell us how you really feel
haha, sorry. I don't usually lose it like that, but the prevent defense just brings it out in me.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
haha, sorry. I don't usually lose it like that, but the prevent defense just brings it out in me.
No apology necessary, it made me smile because it was so uncharacteristic

Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
There seemed to be a large number of Vikings fans at the game yesterday. You could see a good amount of purple in the crowd and there were some loud pops when Minnesota made plays.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:58 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
The "Prevent" is not an actual formation. It is a mindset that Defense gets into when they think they have the game wrapped up and it's just a matter of time. The best thing to cure it is just what happened yesterday, when AP burst through the lackadaisical line and scored.

All in all, it was a fun game. The weather was great for football, but there were WAY too many Viking fans at the game.
From the noise level, it was sometimes difficult to tell in whose home the game was being played.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:23 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
I'm just gonna go ahead and say it: if the defense keeps this up, the Broncos D will be as good as the 2013 seahawks defense. I can't remember the last time I've seen two guys get after the QB as much as Miller and Ware. holy ****.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
The "Prevent" is not an actual formation. It is a mindset that Defense gets into when they think they have the game wrapped up and it's just a matter of time. The best thing to cure it is just what happened yesterday, when AP burst through the lackadaisical line and scored....
I disagree with your definition of a prevent defense, and I wouldn't call Denver's D a "prevent defense" in the last minutes, especially not the one when AP scored. A prevent defense is used to prevent big plays but to allow short yardage plays. When AP scored it was because the defense was NOT in a prevent mode but rather was trying to stop the short yardage (under a yard) attempt for a first down. When he got through that, there were few defenders left in front of him to stop his scamper to the end zone. Had it been a prevent defense, he likely would not have scored.

The best example of a prevent defense is when the team that's behind is on their own 20 with 10 seconds left in the game. Defenders fall back to keep all receivers ahead of them, thus allowing a long gain but preventing a score. It's called by the coach, not a mindset of the players that they can relax.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:38 PM

The prevent is also used to allow plays but keep the play in front of you. The Broncos rushed 3 and dropped everyone into coverage on the 3rd and 17 that set up the AP TD run. That is a definitive prevent strategy and a good example of why it should never be used again this season. The aggression and pressure worked. It is why the Vikings were down in the game. It is ultimately what sealed the win. The prevent was a big part of what let them back in it at one point.

Please, WP! No more prevent!

Old 10-05-2015, 03:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
I remember Wade using the prevent back when he was head coach. Oh, those finishes would churn my stomach.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:08 PM

JDR seemed to be in the prevent to start games last year! I've never liked it but last year undeveloped such a hatred for it due to the complacent nature of the team. ZERO killer instinct. It was awful to see so much talent go to waste. I'm so glad he's gone and WP is here. I just hope we don't see a lot of this prevent again unless we're up by 5 TDs and only a minute or so remains...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football