Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 09:05 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,848 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, I think I would have toughed it out to see my history-making brother retire. I mean, these guys play football games with injuries, the flu, broken bones, etc. Terell Davis played in the super bowl with a debilitating migraine!!
Oh well!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 09:06 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
A good line makes the quarterback and running backs much, much better. You don't get to the NFL without having skills. Yet no set of skills can compensate for lackluster teammates.

Peyton was bad in 2015. He would have been alright with a decent line....I'll bet. Athletes go downhill but not quite that fast. Got his Super Bowl though...he can't complain too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
If we can keep an effective D then what we need is a sensible QB who can keep his head, and the ball, under control, and an offensive line that can protect both.

In reality, it is always more important to have a top of the line Offensive line that to have a "Great QB."
I offer up as proof :

Superbowl 35 Kerry Collins, Trent Dilfer (That, is really all I needed to say.)
Superbowl 37 Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon
Mark Rypien
Doug Williams

There are more examples, but I think my point is made.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 AM

Any thoughts on what the reception will be for Osweiler when he comes to town next season as a Texan?? Cheers? Boos? A mix of both??

Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Any thoughts on what the reception will be for Osweiler when he comes to town next season as a Texan?? Cheers? Boos? A mix of both??
I bet cheers to the high heavens. The Texans desperately needed a QB. They were all too happy to drastically overpay for Brock. I hope he's successful there, but I wish he'd have stuck around here.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:21 AM

Me too, I wish him the best.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:23 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am stunned he would leave that team.
I'm not. Osweiller was toast in Denver when he was pulled in the season finale, and the Broncos came out and played like crazy for Peyton in the second half of that game. That says that his teammates had absolutely no confidence in Osweiller at all.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:46 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I'm not. Osweiller was toast in Denver when he was pulled in the season finale, and the Broncos came out and played like crazy for Peyton in the second half of that game. That says that his teammates had absolutely no confidence in Osweiller at all.
I couldn't disagree more. The QB switch provided a spark for the offense but it had nothing to do with how much faith they had in Osweiler. EVERYONE on the Broncos said that Peyton was the starter as soon as he was healthy enough to play, and they even said before that game that Peyton was healthy enough to go in if he was needed. The whole "Peyton Manning was benched and became a backup, then usurped his job back" was complete crap made up by the sports media.

Osweiler was pulled not for his own errors, but to spark the offense. I think he was only accountable for one out of 5 turnovers that game. I certainly understand his frustration, but it really had nothing to do with him or Peyton. Peyton came back in and threw the ball like 3 times.

You see this type of thing in a lot of other sports like baseball (pitchers) and hockey (goalies).

Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I am sure he'll get a good mix. Most of the real fans will wish him well, though. He should be a decent QB.
I don't know if he will develop the leadership skills that really differentiate a good QB from a GREAT QB. Time will tell.

That leadership was the difference between Brock and Peyton. A good leader could have rallied the team during the Chargers game, and pulled a win out of that mess. (Elway and The Drive)
I suspect he had some issues with the way Peyton came back in that game and saved it for him.

He will probably be happier out from under Peyton's shadow. (well that and a few million bucks in his bank account.) The Texans will give him a chance to shine, without all the history.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:08 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
I googled in C.J. Anderson just a bit ago and noticed that according to NBC Sports.com the Miami Dolphins are preparing to give him an offer sheet. CJ is a restricted free agent.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:12 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
I heard James Jones (Packer WR) on NFL Network say he doesn't think Kaepernick is a good fit for the Broncos offense. He thinks he fits better in a Chip Kelly offense. Of course, Broncos being heavy on defense (or they were), maybe they just want a game manager and don't need a polished QB. The knock on Kaepernick has always been his lack of ability from the pocket. He is not a pocket passer by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football