Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 08:42 AM

8,602 posts, read 14,821,213 times

Advertisements

Broncos are atrocious in the trenches on both sides of the football. The o-line can't run block and is marginal at pass protection. The interior of the d-line is lousy against the run.

If I'm an opposing team with any semblance of a rushing attack I simply jam the ball down Denver's throat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 08:59 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,668,488 times
How often does a QB throw for over 300 yards and the team only scores 10 points in the whole game?

And whatever the problem is with the Offense, I don't think that changing QBs is the answer.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:40 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,961,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We have the hardest remaining schedule too.. great.
Well look at it this way: if the Broncos hang on and make the playoffs all the teams they face once they get there will be good teams. If they can't beat playoff caliber teams to reach the playoffs they have no business in the playoffs anyway. If they finish 10-6 they likely get in. There's a possibility they get in even at 9-7, though they need some breaks. Try to enjoy the remainder of the season. The Broncos are defending champs until some other team wins the Super Bowl, and they're still in a good position to reach the playoffs again.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:38 PM

18,196 posts, read 25,763,135 times
Well, I finally took the ice bag off my head a while ago--ugh. Waxing a little notalgic for today, will get into yesterdays dirge later this week.

It's not that uncommon for Denver to have a super bowl hangover the year after. After the SB-XXIV 56-10 debacle courtesy of Frisco, Denver went to 5-11 in 1990. The year after Denver's win over Atlanta in SB-XXXIII, the Broncos went 6-10. But at least they were competitive. They lost John Elway to retirement (offensive captain), Steve Atwater to FA (defensive captain) and Keith Burns (special teams captain) to Chicago. After six games they lost to injury for the season-- Alfred Williams, John Mobley, Terrell Davis, and Shannon Sharpe.

Their best seven players- gone. But they didn't throw in the towel. After the Bubby Brister fiasco they turned to 3rd string quarterback Brian Griese who had as much experience as Tracy Siemian does. And they competed. Take a peek at their won loss record. They lost seven games by 25 points.

Fast forward to this season. This years club despite losing key players on D, talent galore on defense. Offense? Demarius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders stack up against the best WR"s in the game. After that?

I don't know why yesterday's game didn't surprise me. I still was thinking about the Jacksonville game last Sunday.

The offense yesterday reminded me of the Lou Saban years with quarterbacks Steve Tensi, Pete Liske, and Don Horn.

Disappointing, very.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:10 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,615,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Well look at it this way: if the Broncos hang on and make the playoffs all the teams they face once they get there will be good teams. If they can't beat playoff caliber teams to reach the playoffs they have no business in the playoffs anyway.
I agree. I would rather they not make the playoffs by a fluke (like other teams losing to other teams) than get stomped once they get there.

Like Double H said, the Super Bowl hangover is a thing, and it didn't hit the Broncos nearly as hard as the Panthers. Had Denver been in the AFC South, we wouldn't even be concerned. Unfortunately, the Chiefs always hang around and the Raiders had been up-and-coming for a while.

This year still interests me because of its unpredictability. The Cowboys and Raiders look more vulnerable now. The Pats are always there, but they don't have Gronk, who I think is a huge difference maker for them. The Chiefs lost one of their best defensive players. The Seahawks are inconsistent, so are the Giants, etc.

The Broncos are far from the worst team in the league. We can be grateful they aren't total messes like the 49ers, Rams, and others. I think they just need more time to fix their weaknesses, and I trust Elway to do that this offseason, no matter the result of this year.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:05 PM

The players seem to go into the last two games thinking, "these guys will be easy." They just barely squeaked by the Jags.
And the other teams were playing "The Defending Superbowl Champions!!" Of course they were up for the game.

If we manage to beat the Pats this next week, We will have a shot at the playoffs. Well, assuming a little help from the Titans and the Chargers, that is. (and maybe the Jets)

Miss that game, and the Broncos will probably have to buy tickets to get in the playoffs. And, we will have a whole year to build up that O-Line.

It'll be Fun!!

Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,708,450 times
I wish Kubiak would retire because we know Elway isn't firing him. I know you can't fire a coach one year removed from Super Bowl but I just don't have faith in him at all in game coaching, game design, etc.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:24 AM

71 posts, read 44,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I wish Kubiak would retire because we know Elway isn't firing him. I know you can't fire a coach one year removed from Super Bowl but I just don't have faith in him at all in game coaching, game design, etc.
He led the Broncos to a Superbowl with his leadership, yes, not his offensive coaching ability. No way Elway fires him but something needs to change.

Interestingly, almost exactly 2 years ago vs St Louis, Manning and Gase had a terrible game and threw the ball 54 times and ran the ball 9 times in a loss. Julius Thomas and Sanders were both hurt during the game. Manning was the clear MVP leader at the time but Elway blew it up and changed direction of the O after (reportedly) firing up in the locker room (possibly the day Fox decided to leave?). Manning's play fell off a cliff after that day and got worse when Kubiak arrived. Now vs Tennessee this week Kubiak has done basically the same thing (51 pass, 9 rush) by giving up on the run in an important game...

Old 12-13-2016, 02:54 PM

The Offense now is almost as bad as when Wade Phillips was the Head Coach.
Phillips called the plays while Fassel sat on the bench shaking his head.

Those were the days.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:25 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,770,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
How often does a QB throw for over 300 yards and the team only scores 10 points in the whole game?
On November 17, 1986, Joe Montana passed for 441 yards in a 14-6 loss to Washington. Montana was 33 of 60, with 0 touchdowns and 3 picks. Jerry Rice had 204 yards receiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football