Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2016, 09:34 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,962,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
The broncos are like Seattle

No one wants to play them - any given game anywhere
You can beat anyone

I'm a pats fan ,

I hate to say it this way but you guys have had some bad luck
Their seems to be 100 moving parts all at once in a football game

Your offense line could be doing great on a particular play
Giving the qb plenty of time to throw - he throws and the receivers
Miss it!!
This kills a game!

Hey
You guys won the holy grail of football last yr
You can't win every year!
Yeah it did seem like if one thing went right something else wouldn't. That's not bad luck so much as bad execution in most cases. I think the only case of bad luck the Broncos has was at the end of regulation against the Chiefs. With the score 24-16, the Chiefs were ruled short as time was winding down. The refs stopped the clock with 1 second remaining and ruled it a TD. I've never seen that happen. Had it been ruled a score, yes. But I've never seen a crew halt a game when the ruling was not a scoring play or turnover just to take about her look. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that one but had they managed that correctly the Broncos win it 24-16. I consider it bad luck that the crew decided to review what was ruled a nonscoring play but after that the ruling is the ruling and the Broncos failed to stop the Chiefs on the 2 point try and ensuing OT. One of the only games the offense actually worked and the defense folded. It was that kind of season I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 10:22 AM

18,196 posts, read 25,766,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Okay Broncos fans, let's hear your thoughts going into the season finale. The Broncos are 8-7 and out of the playoffs for the first time in 5 seasons. That 5 season run was as good as any in the league for any team during the same span of time, but now it's our turn to sit out and watch from the sidelines.

With that said, some may not care about the game and call it meaningless. Some fans may prefer the 8-8 finish and slightly better draft position. Personally I would much rather see the Broncos win and finish 9-7 in a year the narrative surrounding them before the season was they'd struggle to a 7-9 or 8-8 finish. That would also potentially hurt the Raiders. They are still playing for a first round bye and maybe even HFA through the playoffs if the Pats lose. A Broncos win could be the difference between the Raiders having an easier path to the Super Bowl or going on the road as a WC and a one-n-done season. That would make an otherwise great year (especially by Raiders standards) little more than a footnote in NFL history.

I'm hoping for a strong showing by the Broncos and a 9-7 record on the season. Then I'd like to see some off season improvements to the O-line and offensive coaching staff (specifically I'd like to see a new O-line coach and a real OC brought in). Addressing the run defense is another big priority. While that's a lot to expect in one off season, it really does amount to addressing two position groups: O-line and D-line. On a team that was still very good on defense and respectable at holding opponents scoring down (despite NO HELP WHATSOEVER FROM THEIR OFFENSE) this team could be a couple D and O linemen away from being a contender again.
I always appreciate your input!

Some observations here that a few people might scratch their head about. I'll do the coaching staff today and do the players early next week.

1. Gary Kubiak--John Elway should get to the bottom of Kubiak's health issues/scares. The situation with Kubiak passing out earlier this year with Joe DeCaMills pinch hitting for him for a game earlier this year, well, I don't know about anyone else, but it concerns ME, anyway. Don't forget the 2013 Sunday Night game when he collapsed on the field at halftime. A TIA (Trans Ischemic Attack) is what he had been diagnosed as. Maybe this issue has been already been resolved but if it hasn't then Elway should send him to a top drawer medical clinic.

2. Wade Philips contract is up after Sunday's game with the Raiders. IIRC Wade is approaching 70 years old. Denver's defensive players love him. IMO he will return and sign a new deal. AFAIC he is the best defensive coordinator in the business. When he signed with Denver after the 2014 season the quote he made in the press conference I remember the most is "Well, I'm kind of a lousy head coach but I'm a pretty good defensive coordinator." He's more than just pretty good.

3. Rick Dennison- lots of speculation about Dennison with the Denver media over the last several weeks. IMO it was the Kansas City home game where the Broncos tailspinned into the can. The way that game ended took a lot out of that club and it definitely showed on offense. Dennison should be re-assigned--he might not even be retained next year. Time will tell. Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis might not be retained either.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:14 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,668,858 times
I hope Wade comes back next year. He will keep the D in the saddle.
Then Kubiak and Elway need to find an Offensive Coordinator, and build an O-line that can make things happen.
O-Lines make the game. Sure, and outstanding QB - Receiver Corps score points, and a top notch RB or two scores points, but without the O-Line, even the best QB and RB can be left in the dust.
Also, the WRs need to CATCH the DAMNED BALL!!!!

Take care of that stuff, the rest will take care of itself.

For now, though, They just need to beat the Raiders tomorrow. We can't end a season losing a home game to those guys. We just CAN"T!

Old 01-01-2017, 02:16 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,595,310 times
Quote:
Yeah it did seem like if one thing went right something else wouldn't. That's not bad luck so much as bad execution in most cases. I think the only case of bad luck the Broncos has was at the end of regulation against the Chiefs. With the score 24-16, the Chiefs were ruled short as time was winding down. The refs stopped the clock with 1 second remaining and ruled it a TD. I've never seen that happen. Had it been ruled a score, yes. But I've never seen a crew halt a game when the ruling was not a scoring play or turnover just to take about her look. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that one but had they managed that correctly the Broncos win it 24-16. I consider it bad luck that the crew decided to review what was ruled a nonscoring play but after that the ruling is the ruling and the Broncos failed to stop the Chiefs on the 2 point try and ensuing OT. One of the only games the offense actually worked and the defense folded. It was that kind of season I guess.
I thought it doesn't have to be a score if it is inside two minutes? If they thought it was close than the correct thing to do is to review the play.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I thought it doesn't have to be a score if it is inside two minutes? If they thought it was close than the correct thing to do is to review the play.
You may be right about that, though I've seen plenty of close plays inside of two minutes not get a second look.

In other news, the speculation that Kubiak will step down after today's game is growing. That would make things interesting. I'd hope if that happens the Broncos bring in Kyle Shanahan for an interview. He runs a modernized version of the same system Kubiak runs, and maybe could get more out of the marginal to sub-par talent the Broncos have at O-line.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:53 AM

18,196 posts, read 25,766,239 times
Some last minute notes before this afternoon's game.

Along with linebacker DeMarcus Ware, linebacker Kayvon Webster went on IR as a result of the concussion he received in the 2nd quarter of the Chiefs game. Cornerback Taurian Nixon and defensive tackle Kyle Peko will fill the roster slots.

Speaking of concussions, tight end Virgil Green got some time in this week regarding practice. His blocking abilities were missed in Sundays loss to the Chiefs, for sure. Look for him to get some playing time.

Denver is a one point pick today. The Raiders? Expect their defense to go all out. They want to win to get that weekend bye.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:12 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,202,207 times
Quote:
You may be right about that, though I've seen plenty of close plays inside of two minutes not get a second look.

In other news, the speculation that Kubiak will step down after today's game is growing. That would make things interesting. I'd hope if that happens the Broncos bring in Kyle Shanahan for an interview. He runs a modernized version of the same system Kubiak runs, and maybe could get more out of the marginal to sub-par talent the Broncos have at O-line.
All plays within the last 2 minutes of regulation of all NFL football games are reviewed by a replay assistant who is part of the officiating crew. He only has the time between plays to make a call however whether an "official booth review" should take place. If at any point he thinks the play is close and should be formally reviewed he buzzes down to the on field officials and play is halted for official review.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
All plays within the last 2 minutes of regulation of all NFL football games are reviewed by a replay assistant who is part of the officiating crew. He only has the time between plays to make a call however whether an "official booth review" should take place. If at any point he thinks the play is close and should be formally reviewed he buzzes down to the on field officials and play is halted for official review.
Yes, I'm tracking. I've seen plenty of close plays within 2 not get a review though. The replay official deemed that one worthy of a review and so be it. Broncos had a shot to win that game anyway and didn't come through. They're looking pretty inspired today though. It's probably good news to a lot of teams (read: the Patriots) that the Broncos aren't in the playoffs this year.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:20 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,202,207 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm tracking. I've seen plenty of close plays within 2 not get a review though.
The key is the official only has the time available between plays, hurry up offense is helpful to avoid booth reviews and in the last 2 minutes usually that is the case regardless, judicious use of time outs on the other side to allow officials more time to review is also smart but again opposing coach only has seconds to decide on calling time and you may be helping the other team if they are driving.

Officials are taught to go with the play as called on the field unless indisputable evidence of call being incorrect so even if a play looks close at first glance there may not be enough time to pull the trigger...

Not so sure that taking replay call away from the coaches in the last 2 minutes is all that advantageous unless you have used up your calls a coach can risk the review even if he isn't sure...

Old 01-01-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not so sure that taking replay call away from the coaches in the last 2 minutes is all that advantageous unless you have used up your calls a coach can risk the review even if he isn't sure...
I agree with this. If a team still has a review after the 2 minute warning I think they should be able to use it. Sometimes the officials just miss things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football