Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 04:13 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times

Advertisements

With Osweiler back to the Broncos this season is over before it started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 04:40 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
So the Browns could be paying for Osweiler to ride the pine in Denver?

Old 09-02-2017, 05:35 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
So the Browns could be paying for Osweiler to ride the pine in Denver?
He might! Am listening to CBS Sports Radio, among the 30 plus players released the Broncos have-----

Traded Ty Sambraillo to the Atlanta Falcons for a 5th round pick.
Waived defensive back T.J. Ward
Waived offensive lineman Dick Schofield
Waived receiver Kalif Raymond
Injured Reserve list-Shane Ray
Waived running back Juwann Thompson
NFI-(Non football injury list-QB Chad Kelly
NFI " " " "- TE Jake Butt
Injured Reserved list-WR Carlos Henderson

And Kyle Sloter was waived. It's a lead pipe cinch he will go on the practice squad. But I believe he might get claimed off waivers. We'll see, a lot of shuffling will be going down this weekend.

Nothing has been said about Paxton Lynch. I'm wondering about a trade in the works, unless he goes on the PUP (Physically Unable To Play) list. IIRC when you go on that list you are on there for either 4 or 6 weeks, will have to look that up.

Brock Lobster a Bronco? He might! We'll see.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
With Osweiler back to the Broncos this season is over before it started.
Now THERE's a positive attitude, for ya.

It 'll be interesting to see if he's learned anything about leadership while he was gone.
Though, I suspect that if he had, the Browns would have kept him around.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I too had thought that Brock could come back to the Broncos, but I didn't think it would happen.

I've always liked him, ever since he was drafted. He didn't do a terrible job in Denver during the Super Bowl year, probably better than Peyton did in most ways, so I was disappointed when he left.

So he's coming back for the veteran minimum of $775K (or $800K as I heard on the radio). That's pretty cheap if he's used at all, even as a backup. And who knows, he could turn it into more. It'll be interesting to see how he comes along.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:03 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I too had thought that Brock could come back to the Broncos, but I didn't think it would happen.

I've always liked him, ever since he was drafted. He didn't do a terrible job in Denver during the Super Bowl year, probably better than Peyton did in most ways, so I was disappointed when he left.

So he's coming back for the veteran minimum of $775K (or $800K as I heard on the radio). That's pretty cheap if he's used at all, even as a backup. And who knows, he could turn it into more. It'll be interesting to see how he comes along.
It's possible that the rare air of the Mile High City does Osweiler good.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

Well, he still gets that 16 mil from the Browns.
So we'll see if he is in it for the money, or if he REALLY wants to be a Quarterback in the NFL.
I liked him, too. I really hope that he can learn to be a field leader the Offense will need.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:23 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Osweiler returning isn't the end of the world. I know it's not a popular decision with the fans but it has its merits. First, let's think of the context: He's the #2 and only because the actual #2 is injured. These coaches and executives also know a lot more about the game than any of us fans do and they determined Osweiler is a better fit for a backup role than is Kyle Sloter.

He also has had experience with McCoy's offense so he knows the verbology and play calls. Remember, it was McCoy's offense into which he was drafted and when Adam Gase took over at OC he had been the QB coach under McCoy. So our backup is familiar with our offense, which is kind of important.

Also he is virtually free! The Browns are footing the bill for the Broncos to have a really tall clipboard holder. I even wonder if Osweiler will be released once Lynch returns.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:29 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
What's the word with Chad Kelly? Is he on IR, or was he cut? Did he ever even practice?

I assumed Elway's ego would be too big to bring back Oz but I guess not. He's likely not any worse than the current #2. Elway's track record in drafting these tall QBs hasn't exactly been good.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:52 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
What's the word with Chad Kelly? Is he on IR, or was he cut? Did he ever even practice?
He was placed on IR. My guess is if Siemian doesn't play himself into the role of long term starter the Broncos will give Kelly an opportunity to compete next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I assumed Elway's ego would be too big to bring back Oz but I guess not. He's likely not any worse than the current #2. Elway's track record in drafting these tall QBs hasn't exactly been good.
Much has been made of "Elway's ego" but let's not forget he came to town on the heels of a 4-12 disaster of a season, a bad cap situation, and a roster that was seriously lacking in talent and worse yet: Leadership. Since then the Broncos have finished 8-8, 13-3, 13-3, 12-4, 12-4, and 9-7, missing the playoffs just once and twice reaching the Super Bowl, winning it once. I'm inclined to give "Elway's ego" the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't surprise me at all that he'd bring back a guy like Osweiler because he makes both football and business sense.

Regarding drafting, it's still too early to make a decision on Elway's drafting of QBs. He inherited Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow and quickly upgraded to Peyton Manning. Osweiler moved on just as he got his opportunity in Denver and he moved to a place where the pieces on offense were severely lacking. As for Lynch we've not yet seen much of him in the NFL. He didn't look good in Kubiak's system last year but then again neither did Peyton Manning. Osweiler looked serviceable in that system and so did Siemian.

And that brings me to my next point. If Elway is only going to be graded on how his early round QBs pan out it's likely going to be an incomplete assessment. If Siemian plays himself into the long term starting role the narrative that Elway misses on QB talent is offset by the fact that he found his QB in the 7th round. For that matter, let's not exclude the possibility the Siemian is so-so and next year Kelly emerges as the long term option.

It's definitely too early to make an assessment on Elway's drafting of QBs. And if Lynch/Osweiler prove to be little more than league footnotes but Kelly or Siemian prove themselves does it matter what round they came from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football