Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 09:42 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times

Advertisements

A good write up about the Broncos offense:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/...-its-strengths

Every once in a while we see fans lament stuff like this. Fans from just about every team sooner or later. With this year's Broncos it is so painfully obvious and it really makes me wonder how professional football men cannot see what everyone else in the country can. I get it: they're professionals and they know more about the game than we do. But at some point that argument fails to pass the sniff test when the data is as obvious as is spelled out above. More importantly, the data presented passes the eye test. Watching this team this year they look like they can run on anyone at any stage in the game. Inexplicably they seem hellbent on proving their journeyman QB was the right decision and trying to force him to carry the team. That's how you get a 4 game skid. Keenum likely would have been a good pickup if the offensive scheming played into the strength of the unit. Instead the coaches are ignoring what the team does well and asking Keenum to do something he's never done well, and that is carry a team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 04:03 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
A couple observations on Sunday---

While Kase Keenum was involved with the concussion protocol in the last half minute of the first half I'm sure everyone caught the huge ovation when Chad Kelly came on the field. What would I like to have seen? Instead of downing the ball I'd have winged it.

A friend of mine caught a brief clip on Sportscenter from the Rams locker room after the game with the Rams head coach saying "both of you guys were right" while handing game balls to Wade Philips and Aqib Talib. I wish I could find a youtube on it.

Now at 2-4 Denver has nowhere to go but up and if they don't win tomorrow night could Vance Joseph get the pink slip? This game has some similarities to the last time Denver played at Arizona. In that game Josh McDaniels was fired and taking over as head coach was Eric Studesville who was running backs coach. Arizona had been descending down the standings since SB-XLIII against Pittsburgh a couple years ago where they were inches away from winning it. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

It doesn't get any easier after tomorrow night as Denver travels to Kansas City and Houston comes into Denver and then here comes the bye week. Afterwards, three clubs come in with winning records-San Diego, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. Gonna be a rough ride, I believe.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:33 AM

Broncos now 3-4 after a convincing 45-10 win over the Cardinals. The 1-5 (going in) Cardinals. Of course after the way this Broncos team got dismantled by the Jets no game was a given, so the win was encouraging to see. Most encouraging was the way the defense played. They stayed disciplined and made sound tackling. Their fundamentals looked NFL level again. Their next game will present greater challenges. The game last night wasn’t exactly a hostile environment like Kansas City will be. Plus the Cardinals offense isn’t quite on the Chiefs level. To put it nicely.

They have some time to get healthy and prepare for the Chiefs. It’s going to take an even better effort in that one than it did last night. I enjoyed that win but I’ll withhold any hopenfor a turnaround until I see them sustain some success.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Broncos now 3-4 after a convincing 45-10 win over the Cardinals. The 1-5 (going in) Cardinals. Of course after the way this Broncos team got dismantled by the Jets no game was a given, so the win was encouraging to see. Most encouraging was the way the defense played. They stayed disciplined and made sound tackling. Their fundamentals looked NFL level again. Their next game will present greater challenges. The game last night wasn’t exactly a hostile environment like Kansas City will be. Plus the Cardinals offense isn’t quite on the Chiefs level. To put it nicely.

They have some time to get healthy and prepare for the Chiefs. It’s going to take an even better effort in that one than it did last night. I enjoyed that win but I’ll withhold any hopenfor a turnaround until I see them sustain some success.
Yes, to the bolded. It was sure fun to watch and I had friends who were there enjoying it in person. But I'll reserve judgement as to whether they are really pulling all the necessary elements together until I see them face a more substantial challenger. I guess Joseph's job is safe again though, for now anyway.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:36 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
If a person picked up the morning paper and saw the final score, he/she would have thought "well the offense finally got back on track."

Um, not really. It's been a long time since a Bronco defense scored two touchdowns in one game, heh, actually in one quarter. To be fair Keenum did have an ok night, going 14 for 21 for 161 yards and a touchdown. But the defense, who has been under criticism for poor rushing defense, held the Cardinals to 69 yards while gaining 131 yards themselves, 90 by Philip Lindsay who just has looked better and better. Defense came up big and then some with Von Miller getting 6 tackles, 2 sacks, and forced 2 fumbles. All told the defense recorded 6 sacks. And got 6 turnovers which turned into some easy points for the Broncos.

The key to the game was the first play that went for a Bronco touchdown. The Cardinals were defeated right there--it's been a long time since I've seen a club as deflated as they were last night. And it came with a price as offensive coordinator Mike McCoy was fired this morning. Think about this; he has been fired by 3 clubs in less than 2 years. He had been an able assistant for over a decade, first with Carolina, then Denver, then San Diego, and finally the Cardinals.

And speaking of being on the firing line, Vance Joseph will still be head coach. For now. Their schedule isn't easy with the Chiefs at Arrowhead in 10 days and Houston at Denver the Sunday after better getting the next Sunday off. They'll play three more games after that until they have a game with a losing record, that being the San Francisco 49ers. But for now, Denver is breathing easier. For now.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-19-2018 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 04:16 PM

^ HH i’d Suggest they did get their offense on track. The two defensive scores aside the team still put up 31 points. I think any fan would take that. The passing yards and rushing yards are less important. How many isn’t as important as when and where they come, and sometimes how. 31 points off of 309 yards of total offense is pretty efficient.

There were mistakes of course. Keenum took a couple ridiculous sacks. Also, ANOTHER touchdown called back, this one for OPI. Bad call but the team scored anyway. Still they have got to have already set a record for touchdowns taken off the board for reversed calls or penalties. That’s unfortunate. Lastly Keenum threw his mandatory interception and even though it didn’t hurt the outcome it did lead to thenonly TD scoring drive by the Cards. That just goes to show how much of a back breaker those things can be. Even on a night like last night where the defense was lights out, turnovers can be devastating.

I am looking forward to seeing how this team carries itself against the Chiefs. If they show up with some swagger they may have a chance. If they revert back to what got them a 4 game skid they’ll get blown out and the coaches fired. I’d still like to see VJ turn it around and salvage this season. It’s going to take a lot of work though.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:56 AM

The Broncos have a tall task ahead of them: go into Arrowhead and knock off the Chiefs. That's tough to do even when the Broncos are good and the Chiefs aren't. This year the Chiefs have the league's best offense and the best since the 2013 Broncos. Not only that but their defense played its best game of the year against the Bengals, not to mention the Broncos offense at home was unable to fully exploit the Chiefs bottom tier defense. As exciting as it was to see a 45-10 drubbing of the Cardinals, on the road and on a short week, it's hard to expect much this week.

Even if the Broncos pull off a massive upset the outlook past this week is tough. Counting the Chiefs, the Broncos next 5 opponents all are sitting over .500:

Chiefs: 6-1
Texans: 4-3
Chargers: 5-2
Steelers: 3-2-1
Bengals: 4-3

Obviously those records will change every week, but it just shows the road to a rebound won't be easy for a team that has a 4 game and 8 game skid to its credit under the current coach. It would be great to get through this stretch at 3-2 to reach 6-6 they'll likely be a bubble playoff team going into the final stretch of the season.

Not necessarily expecting that but definitely hoping for the best!

Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Well this should quiet the "Start Chad Kelly" talk for a while.

Chad Kelly Arrested, Charged With Trespassing

Old 10-23-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Well this should quiet the "Start Chad Kelly" talk for a while.

Chad Kelly Arrested, Charged With Trespassing

"Should have kept Sloter" posts in 3...2...1...

Old 10-23-2018, 12:22 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
As if Chad Kelly getting popped wasn't enough, Von Miller apparently hosted a cocaine-themed Halloween costume party. The pics are all over TMZ. The two stories are casually related. Kelly was arrested at the Gothic Theater - where Von's party was being held.

Denver Broncos Rock Cocaine-Themed Costumes for Team Halloween Party | TMZ.com

SMDH. Even if nothing illegal was going on, it's a BAD look.

On the bright side, Pacman Jones was there and nobody got shot. #GlassHalfFull
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football