Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 02:33 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The last couple days the Bronco talk shows have been talking Lindsay, as in Phil.

Right now he is at 670 yards on 121 carries, 5 touchdowns with a 5.5 yards per carry average. With 6 games left in the season, it would be good to see this kid get 1000 yards. If you notice whenever he busts a long run or scores a touchdown he sort has an arrogant strut to him for a few seconds. I understand why.

He was not drafted. And wasn't even invited to the NFL combine after a good career at CU. Lindsay knew he might not be big enough or fast enough. He thought he was good enough but the rest of the league passed on him. So he signed with the club he's been following since he was playing Pop Warner football. But he's got the attention of the league now. Certainly Mike Tomlin's attention from what 104.3 "the fan" has been saying.

Temperature at tomorrow's game will be low 40's, don't know about the snow factor, the front range has been getting it and the high country has REALLY been getting it. The Steelers are a 3 point pick tomorrow.
Beautiful, Clear Blue Skies.
The mountains are getting most of the snow this year. That's the way we like it.

45 and sunny. A great day for Football
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 05:47 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Broncos 24, Steelers 17. Broncos improve to 5-6 and are definitely a part of the playoff conversation at this point. This was a huge win and even though it wasn’t pretty they got it done when it mattered. I thought it was game over at 17-10 following the long TD play and a 3-n-our by the offense but this team has shown no quit. They gut out ugly wins and if they can gut out enough to make the playoffs they’re going to give some higher seeded teams problems.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:11 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
A very enjoyable game. Pittsburgh made some errors and it cost them. That interception in the end zone of a potential Steeler TD put the nail in the coffin.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:46 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
A very enjoyable game. Pittsburgh made some errors and it cost them. That interception in the end zone of a potential Steeler TD put the nail in the coffin.
But don't you think Vance Joseph got bailed out at the end there? The Steelers had 1st and Goal with 1:40+ or something like that and he didn't call any timeouts to preserve some clock for a potential last possession. It's not like Pittsburgh was going to run out of time with those 4 downs, so why not try to leave some time on the clock for you in the case that they score. It's almost like some coaches have too much pride to call timeouts in that situation as if it's equivalent to conceding that the opposition is going to score a TD. Just playing the odds, the Steelers should score a TD when they have 1st and Goal from the 5 (or whatever it was). I'm not even a Bronco fan, but was lightly screaming at the TV on that one.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:32 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
But don't you think Vance Joseph got bailed out at the end there? The Steelers had 1st and Goal with 1:40+ or something like that and he didn't call any timeouts to preserve some clock for a potential last possession. It's not like Pittsburgh was going to run out of time with those 4 downs, so why not try to leave some time on the clock for you in the case that they score. It's almost like some coaches have too much pride to call timeouts in that situation as if it's equivalent to conceding that the opposition is going to score a TD. Just playing the odds, the Steelers should score a TD when they have 1st and Goal from the 5 (or whatever it was). I'm not even a Bronco fan, but was lightly screaming at the TV on that one.
He showed faith in the D. The D had been doing their job all along.

Steeler's Offense was off their feed, today. And Denver, while not phenomenal, was steady, and took advantage of the opportunities the Defense gave them. No matter how it finishes, this season promises to be a fun one.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
He showed faith in the D. The D had been doing their job all along.

Steeler's Offense was off their feed, today. And Denver, while not phenomenal, was steady, and took advantage of the opportunities the Defense gave them. No matter how it finishes, this season promises to be a fun one.
I agree with Lars. By not using the TOs VJ actually did three things:

1) He believed in the defense. Nothing says "We're getting the stop and winning this now" like letting the clock run.

2) He saved the TOs for the offense. Had the Steelers scored the Broncos would have still had 35-45 seconds with all 3 TOs, so it's a trade off. Needing just a FG and with the game theoretically tied in that scenario that much time with the TOs would have been adequate.

3) He put the pressure on the Steelers. Sure, they had plenty of clock to work with, but down a TD and no margin for error the pressure was on them to score. Giving them a reprieve to make sure they have the right play/everyone on the same page would have likely been doing them a favor.

Incidentally I assumed Tomlin would have gone for 2 had the Steelers scored. He's been known to go for 2 anyway and with the offense driving they probably went into that possession with the understanding that if they score they're going to go for 2 and the win. Thankfully we'll never know.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:26 AM

I've been playing around with the ESPN playoff machine. It's pretty hard to find a playoff scenario that leaves the Broncos out of the playoffs if they finish 10-6. I found a couple combinations but they involve some improbable wins by some of the teams in front of them. Of course, the Broncos finishing 10-6 means they have to run the table and that would equate to a 7 game win streak to close out the season. That alone would be pretty noteworthy but teams do that kind of stuff all the time. Why can't the Broncos make it their year to do it?

The biggest problems the Broncos have right now are a tie breaker between them and the Ravens that favors the Ravens, the Chargers having one of the 2 WC spots on lockdown, and a poor conference record. Despite all of this, most of the combinations I could find have the Broncos in the playoffs at 10-6. One game at a time for this team, but for the fans it's okay to get excited about the possibilities ahead.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:30 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The last couple days the Bronco talk shows have been talking Lindsay, as in Phil.

Right now he is at 670 yards on 121 carries, 5 touchdowns with a 5.5 yards per carry average. With 6 games left in the season, it would be good to see this kid get 1000 yards. If you notice whenever he busts a long run or scores a touchdown he sort has an arrogant strut to him for a few seconds. I understand why.

He was not drafted. And wasn't even invited to the NFL combine after a good career at CU. Lindsay knew he might not be big enough or fast enough. He thought he was good enough but the rest of the league passed on him. So he signed with the club he's been following since he was playing Pop Warner football. But he's got the attention of the league now. Certainly Mike Tomlin's attention from what 104.3 "the fan" has been saying.
Well, Lindsay got 110 yards on 14 carries, and scored the last touchdown for Denver. If the rest of the league wasn't paying attention to him, they are now. He hits the holes fast and runs like crazy. Speaking of crazy, Big Ben passed for 462 yards but his last pass was the clincher for Denver, it is somewhat rare for a defensive lineman to back up 5 yards and snag that pass like he was the intended receiver. What is crazier is how he got that ball off at all on the 97 yard td toss to Simon-Shuster, burning both Bradley Roby and Darian Stewart.

Make no mistake, Denver was up to the challenge after listening all week long about how they had no business losing to San Diego. Turnovers will kill you every time and it is underlined when you fumble the ball at the one yard line and have a pass picked in the closing seconds of the game. But after the game Mike Tomlin offered no excuses, saying Denver is a lot better than their record shows, and simply saying that the Steelers didn't protect the ball with Denver's defensive play having something to do with that.

The hot seat on Vance Joseph has cooled off a little. But he needs to stay on top of that one tired phrase that you here a lot of---"focus on the next opponent." The defense came up big on turnovers, getting two picks and two fumbles. They gave up a boatload of yards, 527 to be exact. But they came up big when it mattered. Bend but don't break, IIRC that was Joe Collier's defense mantra through his 20 seasons as Denver's defensive coordinator.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:58 PM

Dalton will miss the remainder of the season, so it'll be Jeff Driskel starting for the Bengals. You never know how a team is going to rally around a backup and there won't be much film to look at on Driskel. Plus the Bengals played better once Dalton left the game. Add in the Broncos have been awful, and I mean AWFUL in early starts in the EST. I still think it's a winnable game, but I am seeing talk of a big win and I expect it to be a close game. I'll be thrilled if the Broncos can go in there and come out with a 23-20 type win.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:24 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Dalton will miss the remainder of the season, so it'll be Jeff Driskel starting for the Bengals. You never know how a team is going to rally around a backup and there won't be much film to look at on Driskel. Plus the Bengals played better once Dalton left the game. Add in the Broncos have been awful, and I mean AWFUL in early starts in the EST. I still think it's a winnable game, but I am seeing talk of a big win and I expect it to be a close game. I'll be thrilled if the Broncos can go in there and come out with a 23-20 type win.
^^^^^good notes^^^^^^

The early line on this is Broncos by 3. And the Bengals, after a 4-1 start, are spiraling to the bottom even though they are 5-6 right now. The ugly part of the losing 5 out of their last 6 games is the Chiefs (45-10), the Saints (51-14), and Sunday's loss to Cleveland; while the final score was 35-20, the Browns were up 35-7 at the half. I'll bet that Marvin Lewis is really getting it from the media right about now. Talk about a guy with nine lives!

The Bengals fans will be jacked when Driskel comes out in pregame introductions but if Denver prevails? The fans will be howling like the wolves and jackals howling on the Serengeti.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-27-2018 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football