Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Just a while ago I googled in Ralph Wilson and looked at a Buffalo on line site called Buffalo Rising. According to the story, it said Ralph Wilson is alive and well. Apparently one of the local tv stations called there and he answered the phone, so yea, I imagine he is still around. Am doing some digging to see if there are any other related stories are on this.
Congratulations to Mr. Wilson for the HOF induction!

Arguably the most successful NFL owner from Michigan!

Woot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
I think Buffalo has a chance to be pretty good this year. But I wish they would pick up a veteran for at least one of the offensive guard spots, apparently they plan to start TWO rookies there!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,733,341 times
Yeah they look solid everywhere but with the o-line. Edwards wont be able to throw the ball if he cant be protected. and Rhodes, Jackson, and Lynch cant run the ball if they cant get blocking. But then again on paper the Bills always had talent. Even when we had Milloy and Bledsoe, and Fletcher, and TKO, and Posey. They had talent. Just slacked :P ha go figure only Buffalo with the slacking

Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Big Daryle is right. They traded away Jason Peters to the Eagles. Derrick Dockery and Duke Preston are gone too, I think. Quite a few new faces on that O-line, I'll bet. I saved a copy of the the local paper regarding all draft selections for the 2009 draft and I did see 2 people drafted (Eric Wood-center #2 pick, and Andy Levitre-guard #5 pick)

Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Just got the new issue of SI. Buffalos working on the no huddle. Working on the o - line. MAke sure the rookies are readly. Our o-line is soft/ young. Better be ready to step up besides that they look great. Then again they always look great at the beginning of the season

Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 AM

Congrats to Bruce Smith and Ralph Wilson on being Inducted into the HALL OF FAME. Now its Trent Edwards and the Bills turn to shock the world. yeah its the Preseason but so what LETS SHOCK THE WORLD

Old 08-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Ralph Wilson goes into the HOF for several reasons and one BIG reason; the survival of the American Football League.

The AFL was the idea of Lamar Hunt. After being unable to buy a franchise in the NFL, he decided to start another league; the league would have eight teams and compete with the NFL establishment- called the the American Football League. Ralph Wilson was the first individual to be approached by Lamar Hunt. In its first two seasons it struggled on the field until Lou Saban took over the club in 1962. Saban, who was fired by the Boston Patriots halfway through the 1961 season, slowly built the club up. By 1963 they challenged for the eastern division crown, losing to the Patriots in a playoff game. In 1964 and 1965 they were AFL champions. And 11 points was the difference in the 1966 AFL championship game against the club Lamar Hunt owned, the Kansas City Chiefs. Lou Saban had moved on, Joe Collier head coached that club that year. It could have been the Buffalo Bills in the first Super Bowl, but it didn't turn out that way.

Both Lamar Hunt and Ralph Wilson were committed to making this AFL thing work. Before the Denver Broncos assumed the lead of the worst AFL charter franchise, the Oakland Raiders were in the mix as well with even shakier ownership than Denver. Oakland's franchise was ready to fold as they fell to 1-13 in the 1962 season. The Raiders at that time were owned by several people, none of whom had any real money to speak of. Mr. Wilson felt it was VERY important to keep the teams afloat, especially financially in its early years. Because if the charter franchises couldn't make it, eventual expansion (Miami, Cincinnati) wouldn't make it. As far as Wilson and Hunt was concerned, the league was at stake. Wilson loaned the Raider ownership group $400,000 to keep the team afloat, which was repayed later.

This was before the days of Al Davis. Davis at that time was an assistant coach under Sid Gillman, the head coach and general manager of the San Diego Chargers. He was brought in as head coach of the Oakland Raiders the following season. The team turned it around, became solvent, and paid back the loan.

It's sad to see the troubles going on with this franchise and the stadium issue, and I AM aware of Buffalo's economic situation. But I want to give credit where credit's due here. Wilson not only saved one franchise from going under but was willing to save other franchises for doing the same. In those first few seasons all the clubs struggled at the gate, but especially the first two seasons. It was not uncommon for an AFL club to only have 15,000 attend a game, sometimes even less.

By the time 1964 came around Buffalo had a good thing going. Kemp handing the ball to Cookie Gilchrist behind a line that was led by future HOFer Billy Shaw. And a defense that was tough as nails led by Tom Sestak from tiny McNeese State college. They were the class of the league in the mid 60's.

I'm critical of the HOF selection commitee, as a matter of fact DAMN critical of them. This time they got it right, though. Wilson should have went in the same time Lamar Hunt did. No matter, though.

And for once, they did another thing right. Honoring a man who is still alive.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-09-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 09:36 AM

Watch the pregame show before the game yesterday. showed T.O. and said i looved this quote. "I left America's team for North America's team"

Old 08-14-2009, 05:32 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Ralph Wilson goes into the HOF for several reasons and one BIG reason; the survival of the American Football League.

The AFL was the idea of Lamar Hunt. After being unable to buy a franchise in the NFL, he decided to start another league; the league would have eight teams and compete with the NFL establishment- called the the American Football League. Ralph Wilson was the first individual to be approached by Lamar Hunt. In its first two seasons it struggled on the field until Lou Saban took over the club in 1962. Saban, who was fired by the Boston Patriots halfway through the 1961 season, slowly built the club up. By 1963 they challenged for the eastern division crown, losing to the Patriots in a playoff game. In 1964 and 1965 they were AFL champions. And 11 points was the difference in the 1966 AFL championship game against the club Lamar Hunt owned, the Kansas City Chiefs. Lou Saban had moved on, Joe Collier head coached that club that year. It could have been the Buffalo Bills in the first Super Bowl, but it didn't turn out that way.

Both Lamar Hunt and Ralph Wilson were committed to making this AFL thing work. Before the Denver Broncos assumed the lead of the worst AFL charter franchise, the Oakland Raiders were in the mix as well with even shakier ownership than Denver. Oakland's franchise was ready to fold as they fell to 1-13 in the 1962 season. The Raiders at that time were owned by several people, none of whom had any real money to speak of. Mr. Wilson felt it was VERY important to keep the teams afloat, especially financially in its early years. Because if the charter franchises couldn't make it, eventual expansion (Miami, Cincinnati) wouldn't make it. As far as Wilson and Hunt was concerned, the league was at stake. Wilson loaned the Raider ownership group $400,000 to keep the team afloat, which was repayed later.

This was before the days of Al Davis. Davis at that time was an assistant coach under Sid Gillman, the head coach and general manager of the San Diego Chargers. He was brought in as head coach of the Oakland Raiders the following season. The team turned it around, became solvent, and paid back the loan.

It's sad to see the troubles going on with this franchise and the stadium issue, and I AM aware of Buffalo's economic situation. But I want to give credit where credit's due here. Wilson not only saved one franchise from going under but was willing to save other franchises for doing the same. In those first few seasons all the clubs struggled at the gate, but especially the first two seasons. It was not uncommon for an AFL club to only have 15,000 attend a game, sometimes even less.

By the time 1964 came around Buffalo had a good thing going. Kemp handing the ball to Cookie Gilchrist behind a line that was led by future HOFer Billy Shaw. And a defense that was tough as nails led by Tom Sestak from tiny McNeese State college. They were the class of the league in the mid 60's.

I'm critical of the HOF selection commitee, as a matter of fact DAMN critical of them. This time they got it right, though. Wilson should have went in the same time Lamar Hunt did. No matter, though.

And for once, they did another thing right. Honoring a man who is still alive.
Buffalo lost 31-7 to Kansas City in the 1966 AFL Championship game, not by 11 points as you stated earlier.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 AM

Default Oops!

Yep, you're right Daryle! For some reason I had 30-19 on my mind for whatever reason. Darn senior moments anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football