Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times

Advertisements

Blahblagblah thanks Susan and thanks Howard.

As far as the Oline goes, read between the lines. I implied that when I mentioned that Cutler didn't get sacked when he played for the Broncos. If you'd like me to hand-puppet it out for you, this should imply qb protection plus a decent running game.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Festivus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 12:27 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsbunny7 View Post
I guess the last 3 posts are still ignorant of the facts...no O line...no offense stabilty...
is that so hard to understand? do I have to explain it to you using hand puppets?
Give him the best o-line money can buy and AP and Cutler is still a good quarterback, not franchise talent.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

I can't tell what the overall effect of Cutler is. What is he like in the locker room? At press conferences? As a leader on the field when they're down two scores with 5 minutes to play? Idk. I think he's got a nervous personality and a confidence problem. Time will tell.
Nobody is saying that Cutler is an elite QB (at least they shouldnt be). The Bears have always been a Defense first team, so when Cutler came to Chicago we were stoked. He had proven himself in Denver as an above average QB, and we sorely needed it. But I think Chicago thought all you needed was a QB and your offense was set. We kept on trying to give Cutler WRs that had no idea what they were doing (Knox, Hester) and it did more harm then good.

IMO we could have an elite offense with Cutler at the lead. We have a top 5 receiver in Marshall, top 5 RB with Forte and well we would need to fill in the blanks after that. Remember an offense that is ranked # 10 and a defense that is ranked in the top 3 can be a superbowl contender.

We are going to have to invest some serious $ in the offseason and start developing some younger players on D.

And in regards to his personality... Most 'fans' that come watch the games to see the players dance and leap into the stands wont like him. Personally I want a QB that is a competitor and has a no BS apporach.

Cutler has had WRs mess up routes, drop and bobble balls, and a line that has a bounty on his head. If I was him I would have some confidence problems as well. There is a reason why he goes to Marshall 90% of the time, and its not because he is huge.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:13 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
...IMO we could have an elite offense with Cutler at the lead. ...Remember an offense that is ranked # 10 and a defense that is ranked in the top 3 can be a superbowl contender.
Hmmm... CBS Sports is saying the Bears offense is ranked 29th and the defense 5th. The Bears are 3rd in the division, right?

If it was my team, I'd start with the Oline. I don't know how long it takes to put together a line which will enable you to create a 3rd and short on a regular basis and protect a good qb, but I'd say it can take years. To just blame rcvrs, idk. If Knox and Hester are so bad, why haven't they replaced them yet? Maybe just stick Hester back at punt returns?

It just seems like most good qbs have some niche besides a rocket arm; Eli Manning has a knack for finding an open rcvr on 3rd and long. Peyton Manning is an on-the-field general who can read defenses and use the no-huddle and the play clock to reek havoc, Tom Brady can just rifle the ball with pinpoint accuracy at will. Most qbs have a way of buying time in the pocket or maybe they can outrun a cb to the sideline.

The turnover battle is what often wins or loses games.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I agree with you there. The Oline, protecting the QB so he has time. Great QBs get it done, Rodgers most sacked QB this year. GB operates on whoever is open gets the ball. Injuries have played a part in James Jones leading the NFL with 12TDs, other years that would not happen. Offense has to have options you cannot play if a team knows 1 guy to block.

Bears are going to have to start replacing aging players on defense and look very seriously at their offense. They need to shake it up. Early in the season they were living on points off defense, that will catch up with you and it has, big time.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:07 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Hmmm... CBS Sports is saying the Bears offense is ranked 29th and the defense 5th. The Bears are 3rd in the division, right?

If it was my team, I'd start with the Oline. I don't know how long it takes to put together a line which will enable you to create a 3rd and short on a regular basis and protect a good qb, but I'd say it can take years. To just blame rcvrs, idk. If Knox and Hester are so bad, why haven't they replaced them yet? Maybe just stick Hester back at punt returns?

It just seems like most good qbs have some niche besides a rocket arm; Eli Manning has a knack for finding an open rcvr on 3rd and long. Peyton Manning is an on-the-field general who can read defenses and use the no-huddle and the play clock to reek havoc, Tom Brady can just rifle the ball with pinpoint accuracy at will. Most qbs have a way of buying time in the pocket or maybe they can outrun a cb to the sideline.

The turnover battle is what often wins or loses games.
I wasnt saying the Bears currently have a 10 ranked offense, but if they did have a 'good' offense with a 'stellar' defense things can happen.

Hester is not a WR, doesnt understand how to run routes, and has horrible hands when someone is guarding him. They forced him into the WR posistion becuase they had no other options.

I agree, 1st we need to fix the O line, then our TE/WRs

Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 AM

570 posts, read 581,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Give him the best o-line money can buy and AP and Cutler is still a good quarterback, not franchise talent.
will see...pack and broncos will not win the big one, with franchise qbs...
this year..

Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
As you say, we'll see! So how hard are you cheering for the Pack today????

Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 AM

570 posts, read 581,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
As you say, we'll see! So how hard are you cheering for the Pack today????
hi, well there playing the dirtiest low down stupidly coached team...I dont know if I want to see them win...
I want smith fired...

Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsbunny7 View Post
will see...pack and broncos will not win the big one, with franchise qbs...
this year..
Perhaps not but it does not change the fact that Manning and Rodgers are well above Cutler. There isn't a team in the NFL (including the Bears) that would build a franchise from the ground up around Cutler. Maybe not Manning at this point because of age but you get the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football